How often are you trimming your hair?

levette

The reason why I ask is because I have had my hair trimmed 3 times since December 2005. I changed to another salon and she has been trimming my hair everytime I get a relaxer. I did need it somewhat as I have damaged spots of hair from previous highlights. Back in March, she trimmed my hair so much that the middle part of it is now in layers. When I got a relaxer this past Monday, she dusted my ends. Should I cut back on the trimming ? I'm not sure what to do as I like going to this salon but she tells me that my ends are split and need trimming, plus she is trying to cut out the colored ends that are growing out.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

I would have someone take a long look at your hair b4 you go in for your next service. Let them look at your strands to see if they are splitting. If they are you may need to get them trimmed a bit because it will just keep going on up the strand. If they are not split they tell her you don't wan't a cut.

Candy_C

try just trimming the split ends. section your hair and look thru. it may take a while but u never lose length this way! i haven't trimmed since april 2005! i started off with a good cut, and then never looked back since.

i cut my split ends ("search and destroy") every 10 days. this way u will only have a few to snip. rather than leaving i for months and seeing loads

curlilocs

I am a trimming advocate. Depending on the need, I don't think trimming every 8-10 weeks is overboard, especially if you have damaged ends or places you are trying to remove.

Doll

My last trim was last weekend from my stylist (she asked permission). The trim before that was last year in the Fall season. I did not have split ends, but my hair grows uneven and it started to look thinner on the ends for this reason. She trimmed an inch. I won't trim again until approx. end of year if needed.

I used to get regular trims at my stylist suggestion as well, but noticed that I never got any more length. I started investigating my own ends and saw that I did not have as much of a problem with split ends as I was led to believe! Now I trim only when I feel its necessary. I am retaining a lot more length!

Last edited:

MissFallon

My last trim I believe was January 2002. This was the day I said TRIM and she heard CUT:eek: I may have had a trim in November 2003 but I'm not sure because I only remember going to the salon but not sure if they trimmed. I try to keep my ends in the best shape possible so I dont have to get trims.

levette

I must admit, my ends looks so healthy, but I want my length to show progress. I am torn because I am in my 30's and having bra strap hair or longer is no longer my priority. I just want for my hair to look neat and healthy.

curlilocs

levette said:
I must admit, my ends looks so healthy, but I want my length to show progress. I am torn because I am in my 30's and having bra strap hair or longer is no longer my priority. I just want for my hair to look neat and healthy.

Your hair looks great in your April 2006 picture! I just realized you are in NC. I live in the Triangle area.

chocolate01

curlilocs said:
I am a trimming advocate. Depending on the need, I don't think trimming every 8-10 weeks is overboard, especially if you have damaged ends or places you are trying to remove.

I am a trim advocate, i trim every 3-4 months.

VelvetRain

I have to get my hair trimmed every 9 weeks with a fresh relaxer. I will have it no other way. I totally believe in trimming makes your hair look so much healthier. I don't understand people who refuse to trim their hair because they are trying to grow it out. What sense does it make to have raggedy *** ends for the sake of long hair?

sweetcashew

I've had two cuts and two trims for the year. I trim about every 8 weeks. I like the neat even ends and I don't see any adverse effect. Some people may not need to trim as often as I do so I think how often we should trim varies from person to person.

~Nigeria~

I used to believe in trimming with every relaxer, roughly every 8 to 12 weeks. But my stylist does not understand the concept of trimming. She cuts off what I grow out. So now I going every six months. I don't like doing this because trimming does make your hair look healthier, fuller, and thicker. There is nothing cute about thin, "see through", raggedy ends. But in order for me to retain some growth- atleast with my stylist anyway- I must extend my trimming sessions.

VelvetRain

You ladies are right it's going to vary from person to person. The thought of not being able to trim freaks me out. My ends will tangle in a hot minute if they are not trimmed.

Sweet_Ambrosia

I trim twice a year, mainly for evenness, and dust every 2-3 months.
It's really unnecessary to trim every 6-8 weeks, if your hair isnt damaged IMO.

KhandiB

I trim if its needed..
If it doesnt look as though I need one I dont do it...
Im not clipping for the rest of the year, unless my hair starts looking crackish :lol:

inthepink

When I was relaxed, I would trim with every relaxer (every 8-10 weeks). Since I trusted my stylist, I didn't have to worry about him trimming too much.
Now that I'm natural, it varies. Right now, since I'm trying to wear my hair straightened more often, I plan to dust every 2-3 weeks and trim for evenness every 2-3 months.

sareca

It's probably time for a dusting, but I haven't done one in about 6 weeks. My last trim (1.5 inches off) was in March. This is the longest I've been without needing a trim. My ends are still as tangle-free and soft as the day I trimed them so I'm not planning another trim until after my next relaxer in November.

michelle3147 said:
I have to get my hair trimmed every 9 weeks with a fresh relaxer. I will have it no other way. I totally believe in trimming makes your hair look so much healthier. I don't understand people who refuse to trim their hair because they are trying to grow it out. What sense does it make to have raggedy *** ends for the sake of long hair?

I couldn't agree more. I'd rather my hair be shorter than trying to keep those nasty, thin ends. 9 weeks for me or bust.

michelle3147 said:
The thought of not being able to trim freaks me out.

Me too. I get paranoid, thinking I'll have to chop alot more off because of skipping a trim. Better to do it in small doses rather than one big wack-off.:look:

Jewell

I do a blunt CUT which is 2-3 inches once a year and dust every couple of months which is about 1/4" at a time just to keep things neat. My cut this year was in April last year it was in September. I should be fine in the ends department until April of next year's blunt CUT. Since I take off so much at a time during a blunt CUT its not really necessary for me to trim a whole lot for the rest of the year.