How Much Is Too Much Shedding?

angelmilk

soooo... this is my first relaxed wash day and I feel like I lost a lot of hair (dime sized hairball)

I pre-pooed with vo5 then washed with jbco shampoo (shea moisture) got out the shower detangled while applying hair mayo (protein since I'm 1 week post right?) and now I'm air drying.
with every pass of my wide tooth 2-5 hairs were there and now I'm kinda freaking out.. do I even need to be worried?

p.s. Its definitely shedding bc I saw the white bulbs and the strands weren't short stubbies

Dee Raven

What did you do to your hair before? How much shedding did you get?

I feel like shedding is something you have to observe over time to notice issues. But off of your description, a dime sized hairball doesn't sound bad to me. I have more shedding than that each week and I still have a head full of hair.

angelmilk

What did you do to your hair before? How much shedding did you get?

I feel like shedding is something you have to observe over time to notice issues. But off of your description, a dime sized hairball doesn't sound bad to me. I have more shedding than that each week and I still have a head full of hair.

My hair had been wet wrapped before like in my profile pic and lol ok I think I'm just extra nervous because I've never had chemicals in my hair before.

Amarilles

I can easily make pet hamsters and gerbils out of my shed hair. :look:

Shed is definitely personal, it depends on your density. Dense hair will of course seem to shed more just because there is more hair on the head to shed. A longer length of hair (or stretched hair) can make it seem as if there is more, too. If you saw bulbs I personally would not worry, unless it is coming out in large clumps. It's normal and chances are that you weren't getting all the shed as a natural head so your relaxed hair now appears to shed more, as you're getting most out.

angelmilk

I can easily make pet hamsters and gerbils out of my shed hair. :look:

Shed is definitely personal, it depends on your density. Dense hair will of course seem to shed more just because there is more hair on the head to shed. A longer length of hair (or stretched hair) can make it seem as if there is more, too. If you saw bulbs I personally would not worry, unless it is coming out in large clumps. It's normal and chances are that you weren't getting all the shed as a natural head so your relaxed hair now appears to shed more, as you're getting most out.

ohhh ok that makes sense