How Many Don't Comb Their Hair?

I comb rarely.

I MUST comb my fine 4b hair every time I wet it or it will get MATTED. But I only wash it once or twice a month. This minimizes manipulation.

I comb it dry with a Tangle Tamer once every week or two weeks if I'm wearing it rollerset straight or in a bun.

@ pookeylou--->
Well I could understand how you don't have to comb pookeylou! ;) I'm kinda aiming my question towards relaxed ladies and those with long hair. I think when I'm completely natural, I won't have to comb as much either. :cool:

pookeylou said:
Here is how:
Remember I am natural.

I shampoo my hair with a shampoo bar. It is super rich and moisturizing. I detangle in the shower with my fingers.

I then rinse my hair.

I then section my hair with a wide toothed comb.
Each section I slather on shealoe butter.
I take my wide toothed comb and detangle, then twist it.
I pull out all the shed hairs.

I do not comb my hair again until I shampoo it again.

I can refreshin my hair each day my simply jumping in the shower and allowing the steam to soften my hair, adding more shealoe or curl activator to smooth the edges and putting more bounce in my coils. But I dont use heat or anything else on my hair. I tie it up at night so it stays pretty neat. My husband is on "lint patrol" in the mornings to make sure that there is no lint in my puff. So my hair always looks neat and shiny and great.

That's how I can go without combing my hair for weeks at a time.

I wear the twist or twist out for a week or two at a time.

brownhaired_bonanza said:
Easily answered. I go to the hairdresser every 2 weeks and get a curly pin-up. After the first week I take it down and finger pick out the remaining curls. I spray a little sheen and I'm good to go for the next week. NO COMBING REQUIRED. ;) I'm getting compliments right now even though I haven't combed, or brushed my hair. And i keep the length too.

@ brownhaired_bonanza ---> how long is your hair? how do you wear your hair at night?

When I'm not wearing my hair in some kind of style like twists that I get done at the salon, I comb my hair maybe once a month during the washing/conditioning process. Any other time, I just finger comb.

I have only been combing my hair once a week in the shower, the last 2 months. I only do this when I have lots of new growth.
Other then that, I comb hair twice a day. Once when I wrap it up and once when I unwrap it.

is there anyone here that rollersets and wraps and doesn't comb their hair??? :confused: if so, how???

CocoaButterflyy said:
I brush but seldomly comb... actually I seldomly use the brush too... I mainly finger comb/detangle with straight and nappy styles...and with nappy I wouldnt even torture myself putting a comb near my head

Ditto! I only use a very wide toothed comb when my hair is loaded with conditioner to detangle.

Cocoabutterflyy - I LOVE your hair!!!

I comb only once a day; that's when I'm putting my hair up for the evening. The only other time is when I'm doing a roller set.

I had to start combing once a week during one of my conditioner washes. Not only was I getting knots, the shedded hair was collecting itself in balls on the ends of my hair.

mkstar826 said:
i rarely comb...maybe once a month. finger detangling works fine for me.

same here I'm the finger-combing queen :king:
I keep my hair in a couple of cornrows while I'm 'poo washing or CW'ing, and only need to use my 3-in-1 to loosen the ends of the braids while my hair is full of conditioner but that's it. And every now and then I'll run my tangle tamer through my hair if it's getting really tangled which it hasn't since I've been braiding it up for the evening.

My usually style in wash-n-go or phony afro puff, sometimes I'll do a zigzag part in the front of my hair before slicking up into a bun and attaching my fake puff. I use a regular $1 store comb for that small part (BAD I know but amazingly I never lose any hair doing so)

when I was relaxing on a regular basis I did comb/paddle brush my hair like every other day, funny thing my relaxed hair tangled more often then my transitioning hair :ohwell:

darkflame213 said:
I had to start combing once a week during one of my conditioner washes. Not only was I getting knots, the shedded hair was collecting itself in balls on the ends of my hair.

You mean those little knots in an individual strand? Does using a comb really prevent it?

I comb my hair only during my conditioner washes (twice a week), I finger comb mostly...:) For me, transitioning and combing don't mix. :nono:

Well reading this thread explains why my hair always sounds like its being ripped out , lol

I usually only finger comb when I have done a bantu knot set, but even lately it seems like my hair is just dry and brittle and just coming out.

When I do comb I use a bone comb..

Maybe Ill try not using a comb as much for about a month and see how that goes..

Thanks!

Poohbear said:
@ brownhaired_bonanza ---> how long is your hair? how do you wear your hair at night?

Sorry I took so long to answer... no pc at home... :( I'm not entirely sure about the true length of my hair (as my sig implies) I don't like to wear it down straight so it's kinda hard to gauge it. I believe it's past bra-strap though. I just wrap a silk scarf around it at night when it's pinned up and when it's curly and free i wear a silk bonnet.

brownhaired_bonanza said:
Sorry I took so long to answer... no pc at home... :( I'm not entirely sure about the true length of my hair (as my sig implies) I don't like to wear it down straight so it's kinda hard to gauge it. I believe it's past bra-strap though. I just wrap a silk scarf around it at night when it's pinned up and when it's curly and free i wear a silk bonnet.

the time u took the answer was not a problem at all. :cool: I have some more questions for ya'! :D Is your hair natural or texturized? also, how does your hairdresser go about giving you a curly pin up? What does she use where she doesn't have to use a comb or brush? Does she use rollers or curling irons to make the curls? I would like to try this when my hair gets longer. I'm also interested in seeing what your curly pin-ups look like :) ...any pics? :grin:
Btw, I'm gonna PM you this post just in case you do not look in this thread anymore! ;)

Last edited:
I never comb my hair unless I deep condition. I was also a natural for 8 years and decided to texturize. I stopped combing my hair two years ago and this works best for my hair. I think after a while, you get use to detangling with your fingers.

This is a really informative thread! Now I'm starting to think my problem isn't breakage as much as it is the insistence on trying to comb out my hair on the regular. I'm going to try to reduce my combing to once every two weeks.

Back