How long should one keep a sew in

Kinky4Agirl

I have a sew in and the stylist said it will last 6 weeks.. Is this too long? It is a closed sew in so none of my hair is out. I have virgin indian hair so it looks good every day and she said the hair will last forever... no more buying weave hair. So how long should I let this weave stay in ladies???? Is it unhealthy to keep it in for 6 weeks?

Monaleezza

6 weeks is fine. My weaves stay for 3 months.

Wash & moisturise your own hair underneath & it'll be all good!

Forget you have hair underneath & give all your attention to pruning & styling your weave & you'll be in trouble.

ackee walk

6 weeks seems kinda quick to have to redo a weave. i've kept a weave in for 2 - 3 months but definitely no more than 3 months. and yes, take care of your hair underneath, which can be more of a challenge if you have a net

ms.blue

If your first sew in, then six weeks is fine. After that, you could make the decision of keeping the sew in longer next time. I have kept in a sew in for as long as 3.5 months with no ill effects but I generally keep my sew ins for 8-10 weeks.

Kinky4Agirl

Thanks ladies. I have one issue though. Every time I try to condition my own hair the weave gets loose. Any suggestions? And yes I have a net.

ms.blue

You will have to get the weave retightened at least once during the time while installed.

hillytmj

When I wore one as a PS I was told to keep it up to 8 weeks. My stylist said your hair can start locking after the 8 week point.