How long should I wait to get a relaxer after braids?

Wishin4BSL

I saw a lot of threads about how long after a relaxer should someone get braids, but none about the reverse. I have had my braids in for 3 weeks and I only plan on keeping them for 3 more weeks. So after I take them out, I'm going to do a henna treatment, but after that, how long should I wait to get a relaxer so that I don't damage my relaxed hair?

TowsonGirl

Well, everytime I have had braids (and I usually get em twice a yr) I always take them out and relax on the same day or day after, and never had any problems. So, I would say after the henna, wait a week and you should be OK.

MissYocairis

you should visit Robin The Hair Lady's Crown and Glory site. She grew her hair to waistlength by wearing braids and following a certain regimen. she goes into this rest b4 relaxing issue. the site is.....
www.growafrohairlong.com

Chinagem

I was always told to wait at least 2 weeks after you've had your hair braided- especially if it was braided for several weeks to several months- because your hair is pourous and the relaxer might not work very well. I didn't believe this and once (very long time ago) I relaxed my hair the day after I got a relaxer and it was very underprocessed. However, according to Towsongirl's post, not everybody is affected the same way.

amwcah

I say at least 2 weeks depending on the health of your hair. Also I would do a strong protein treatment prior to the braiding as well such as ApHogee.

morehairplease

Chinagem said:
I was always told to wait at least 2 weeks after you've had your hair braided- especially if it was braided for several weeks to several months- because your hair is pourous and the relaxer might not work very well. I didn't believe this and once (very long time ago) I relaxed my hair the day after I got a relaxer and it was very underprocessed. However, according to Towsongirl's post, not everybody is affected the same way.

this is exactly what happened to me. I would say wait at least two weeks if not longer.

Avaya

amwcah said:
I say at least 2 weeks depending on the health of your hair. Also I would do a strong protein treatment prior to the braiding as well such as ApHogee.

This is the process I follow.

locabouthair

TowsonGirl said:
Well, everytime I have had braids (and I usually get em twice a yr) I always take them out and relax on the same day or day after, and never had any problems. So, I would say after the henna, wait a week and you should be OK.

everyone's different but I did this REPEATEDLY in the past. and my hair was never the same since. I had breakage galore for two years straight. they say not to relax your hair as soon as you take the braids out because your hair is in a resting phase from the braids and when you perm it it goes into shock. To the OP If I would get a blow out and wait two weeks.

angie10

I wait two weeks. Because I have to wash, condition and do protein treatment before relaxing. I haven't braided my hair in a while though.

baglady215

I've done it the same day I take them out with no issues, but I wouldn't advise anyone else to. You know what your hair can take and what it can't

sareca

I'd say 2 weeks minimum. I blame not waiting (and conditioning my hair) adequately with a lot of my past post-relaxer breakage.