How Long has it been Since Your Last Touch-up?

stacy

It has been 10 weeks since my last touch-up. I have a really short haircut and I'd like to wait to get enough new growth to avoid overlapping. I also want to see if I can go until the end of July/beginning of August (about 20 weeks). So far so good. I keep my hair moisturized and I wear a wig most of the time so I do not "get in" my hair. I have shedding when I wash, but not much breakage. I think I'll stop brushing my hair. I think the brush may be too damaging. My KeraCare products do a good job at softening and detangling and the ORS Carrot Oil is an excellent daily conditioner.

KinksnCurlz

It's been about 27 weeks... and I never ever brush my hair, I'm too scared. I just comb it and leave it alone. I usually wear the braidouts or keep my hair in a bun. I keep my edges moisterized with s-curl, ORS carrol oil and elasta qp mango butter. sometimes i use coconut oil but i go to town on it and my hair winds up looking too oily ... UGH. and i use keracare to... LOVEEE ITTT!!!! hopefully, i can get the touch-up within 2 weeks.

LondonDiva

Wow 27 weeks
I gotta take my hat off to ya. Can you usually go this long in between touch ups. How much new growth do you think you have now to get touched up?

stacy

27 weeks is a long time! How much new growth do you have? I don't think I have that much for 10 weeks. It feels like half an inch, but my hair is so compact, it may be more. I may try to get a touch-up every 20 weeks and use a wig until I have the length to make a nice ponytail.

KinksnCurlz

i have about 3" of new growth (2 1/2" in some places). I usually don't wait this long but ever since I came to these boards I'm been debating on which relaxer to use and I've finally decided on Affirm. I also have been taking really good care of my hair by washing 3 times a week, deep conditioning (i must have done that about 10 times my whole life), and the protein treatments as well. My hair was shedding ALOT and the breakage made me want to cry. bloody hell, I couldn't even touch my hair without it being on my hand. And washing... FAGETTABOUTIT. I lost at least 100,000 strands in the shower alone (no joke). But since I've learned so much on these hair boards my hair health has improved tenfold. I'm embarassed to say it but... All I do is swing my head around so my hair can smack me in the face... and my hands stay in it (hey, i'm making sure that it's not coming out like it use to
, u don't believe me either huh... gotta come up with a better story.)

Emmi

the longest ive been without relaxer has been 24 weeks. this time around im only going to go for 4 months

Peachtree

5 weeks today. But due to my new vitamin regime (4wks), I have the same amt of new growth now at 5 wks that I usually have in 'bout 9-10 wks. Because my growth has been accelerated, I really need to touch up sooner than my usual 16-24 time frame. I hope I can hold out til the end of June...

KinksnCurlz

Aphogee. I use to use that as a teen and I stopped for some reason. I didn't know the benefits of it, I was just using it because someone told me it was a good product. I follow it with the aphoghee balancing moisturizer (that leaves my hair kind of stringy) so I follow that with the humecto (no heat). My hair feels really good after that. Oh, and I use the aphoghee every 4 weeks.

Ebony

My last touch up was in january of this year. the funny thing is, i just realized it last week. it's been easy to maintain during this time for some strange reason. i usually go no longer than 3-4 mths. i plan to have my sister touch me up first week in june. i also only used heat once back in february when i straightened with my jilbere ceramic flat iron.

stacy

Have any of you had (or, do you anticipate) problems with your stylist because you have so much new growth to retouch? Since my haircut was so short (esp. in back), I actually have more new growth than relaxed hair in some places. I think I'll have a consultation w/my stylist first, to let her see how much new growth I have and tell me ahead of time what she'll charge me. If it's too much, I may just buy my own relaxer and bring it to the shop.

beana3

4 weeks exactly, my hair feels like its growing in slow motion!
I think i can go much longer than my usual 8 weeks this time.. my hair growth probably will not be significant enough to relax in another 4 weeks, but hey you never know (keeping my fingers crossed for a growth spurt).

I have Finally come to the conclusion that Affirm is the best relaxer i have EVER used, I mean i'm not experiencing any problems at all. I hope you like it CH

MissM

I think it's been 15 or 16 weeks. I've decided no more relaxers for 2 reasons: 1)My hair straightens very easily with my Jilbere flat iron and 2)my scalp can't take another relaxer!!! I hope to make it a full year without a relaxer.

sylviaetc

peachtree: what type of vitamins do you use? i've been looking for a good hair vitamin for beginners. my doctor gave me some vitamins called strovite but they made me dizzy and my vision was blurred everytime i took one.

stevie511

It's been 4 weeks. I usually get a touch up every 6 weeks, but I think I'm gonna wait until 8 weeks. My new growth is coming in a lot more manageble. So much so that my hairdresser even suggested waiting longer in between touch ups. Now can you believe that one?

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
Have any of you had (or, do you anticipate) problems with your stylist because you have so much new growth to retouch?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, I haven't had any problems with my stylist because of my new growth when it comes to relaxer touch-up times. She never makes a big deal about me coming into the salon every four months for a relaxer touch-up.

Peachtree

[ QUOTE ]
peachtree: what type of vitamins do you use? i've been looking for a good hair vitamin for beginners. my doctor gave me some vitamins called strovite but they made me dizzy and my vision was blurred everytime i took one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Sylvia

I started with:
Centrum & One A Day (Alternated), Country Life Biotin (5mg), GNC UltraNourishhair, B-Complex.

Because of my "large pill phobia"
, I switched some, but narrowed down to:
Flintstone's Complete (chewable
) & CL Biotin (5mg)

Islandgirl

It has been four weeks. Six weeks to go ( i usually go every 10 weeks, i want to stretch it to 12, but I have to find some way to keep it under control around the 10th week. )

Tracy

I did mine last on March 14th. I plan to get another sometime the week after next...
The second week in June.

For me it's been about 10 weeks so far. I'm struggling but I colored at week 4 so I'm trying to wait 6 weeks post color to touch up.

lala

It's been 8 weeks for me. I'm going to try to stretch it about 2 more weeks by using a relaxing balm. I hope I make it...

MissB

It has been 5 weeks as of yesterday. I have 2 more weeks to go. My stylist is switching me to Affirm. I can go usually 8-9 weeks with Affirm.

Chichi

It's been four weeks so far. I am hoping to hold out until Septembet (16 weeks). I used to have to go by the 10th week but I am hoping that vitamins and a good hair regimine will help soften my new growth. My stylist says that I need a touch-up every eight weeks but we'll see
. When I re-touch, I plan to do it myself and use Affirm Fiberguard (now if only I could find a place to purchase it
...).

Cheers,
Chichi

Britt

Yesterday made exactly 12 weeks for me. I usually go for 16 weeks, so I am trying to hang in there. I have had my hair in a ponytail for the longest and cant wait to perm it so I can wear it down.

lala

[ QUOTE ]
Lala... what is a relaxing balm ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I use this relaxing balm by Phyto to straighten my hair out between touchups. Here's the product description:

The more you use it, the better it works! Phytodefrisant's non-oily formula straightens and strengthens hair, taming frizzies and giving hair a natural shine. Ferula, horseradish and garlic extracts coat and straighten hair without any chemical action, while botanical gum hydrates and conditions.

There's also a serum that can be applied after applying the relaxing balm. Phytodefrisant, Relaxing Serum with Althaea Extract, All Hair Types.

Armyqt

It's been 6 weeks for me. I'm gonna relax in another two weeks. I usually wait 12 weeks, but my hair is really underprocessed and I need to fix it.

douglala

This Thursday will make 26 weeks!!!! Yeah!!!! B/c I have been taking better care of my hair it is not breaking and my new growth is managable. My hair styles are not the greatest right now and I cannot wear my hair out at all but the long terms benefits will sure outweigh the suffering I am doing now.