How does your hair look right after a roller set?

soslychic

Mine looks like a weird 50's style. Is that how it's supposed to look? Can I comb it out somehow and just have normal curls? And how do you get your roots straight? The rollers never seem to be touching the roots and they always come out curly. And when I wrap it, it always makes it kinda frizzy and I loose the sleekness. How do you wrap your hair and actually keep it with the straight sleekness of a rollerset but straight instead of curly. I'd love to try a straight style with rollers instead of a flat iron but I just can't do it right.

nita4

Well, when I first started my rollersets I had that 50ish thing going on too, but now I just take my rollers out and finger comb. I like my hair rolled tight, my curls last longer to me. When I rollerset for a looser curl, I wear down for the day then I pin it up. I don't wrap to maintain.

soslychic

How long is your hair? Maybe it's the length of my hair that's causing the 50ish look, maybe it should be a little longer before I get the look that I want. I just dunno

Britt

when i go to the Dominicans and get a roller set my hair is silky sleek and smooth afterwards and my hair is short.

soslychic

When you say silky smooth, do you mean that your curls are silky and smooth or that they wrapped it silky and smooth?

Britt

both... my curls are silky smooth and after I comb out my doobie my wrap is silky and bouncy

DatJerseyDyme

Could someone tell me what could possibly be making my hair hard after a roller set..not crisp as in after using a setting loition, but not soft either. I use water w/olive oil in a spray bottle, soft and beautiful botanicals oil, and silicone (only on the ends) for setting...sometimes profective mega growth.

Allandra

Is this what you normally use for your roller sets? Has your hair always felt this way after roller setting with these products?

DatJerseyDyme

This is what I've always used (except I used to use Infusium, and I KNOW that used improperly that will make your hair hard). And my hair has always had this NOT SOFT feeling...kind of like it would hold the curl for DAYS if I let it. I'm looking for silky hair like the pics in your sig and avatar.

Allandra

You could try using a creamy type leave-in for roller setting versus the oil and water. I love using creamy leave-ins for roller setting, and then I use a little serum after the rollers are removed (which always makes my hair nice and silky). My hair doesn't respond to oil well (unless it's mixed with a conditioner - I do conditioning and hot oil treatments combined).

DatJerseyDyme

So use the silicone AFTER drying...that sounds like a good idea..I've started using Headress as my leave in, so the next time I do a rollerset, I'll skip the Mega Growth. I was using the olive oil and water to keep my hair wet as I set. Next time, I think I'll just use water and s-curl or hot six oil..THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSES!

Allandra

You're welcome. No problem. Some folks use serums before roller setting, and some folks use serums after roller setting (this works for me).

northernbelle

Re: How does your hair look right after a roller s

soslychic,

What tools are you using to roller set? The necessary tools are:
rollers of the correct diameter for your length of hair, end papers, clips or pins, setting lotion, a rattail comb, and a spray bottle containing water.

My hair looks nice after a roller set. I allow the hair to cool for five minutes after I step out from under the hood dryer, to set the curl. I then apply some oil to the hair, and then I wrap the hair with a brush, and then return to the hood dryer for another ten minutes. I unwrap, adjust the hair a bit, and then go!

I am currently using Pantene Pro-V Relaxed and Natural Wrap and Set Lotion, which gives my hair a nice, smooth finish.

What size rollers are you using? My hair is currently six inches, and I use a 1 1/2 inch roller. It really does not matter how long your hair is. The key is using the correct diameter of roller.

One has to keep the hair wet throughout the roller set, because the ends should not be allowed to get dry.

Another important factor is proper tension. The roller should be firm, and tight, but not so tight that it is uncomfortable. That allows the roots to dry nicely. Using the rattail comb smooths the hair, from roots to ends.

Additionally, the amount of hair one rolls is important. One should roll a lock only as wide as the roller itself. It is also better to roll less hair on a roller, than to roll too much. I tend to use a few more rollers than I actually need.

If you want body, then roll the hair away from the face. Otherwise, if you desire to achieve a certain look,then roll the rollers in the direction of the style you desire.

When I first started to roller set, I, too, ended up with the wierd 50s style 'do. As I gained practice, and watched carefully my stylist's technique, I became more proficient. It takes practice and patience, but you *will* get the hang of it.

I hope some of this information is helpful.

northernbelle

nita4

when I first started my rollersets my hair was ear lobe length - yes, the length will give you that 50ish look - so I kept it very curly.

Honey

If your hair has a bouffant sort of a look, you are probably using rollers that are too small for the length of your hair. If you are going for a smoother, sleeker look use a larger roller, apply your products, detangle and part your hair into relatively small sections. Have a water bottle handy and rewet each section making sure it is completely saturated with water (not just damp) and smooth the hair out with a fine tooth comb. You also want to make sure that the hair is taut on the roller, because if it is too loose you won't get the smoothness you're looking for, especially at the roots. Once your hair is thoroughly dry you can also try wrapping and sitting under the dryer for a few more minutes. This should give you nice bouncy hair.

As for the hair feeling hard, that could be a sign that the products you are using are not moisturizing your hair sufficiently. Personally, whenever I use anything with glycerin my hair always feels stiff, so I try to avoid those products.

Hope this helps.

~Honey

cutebajangirl

DAt Jersey Dyme- When this happens to me, it is because I think my hair is dry but it is not 100%. You have already bypassed the damp stage but although it feels dry it is not and so it is hard/crispy but not the spritz kind of way. Next time that happens go back under the dryer for 15-30 minutes depending on the strength of your dryer. One time a girl at the salon took me out too early and this is exactly how my hair felt and the owner yelled at her and put me back under. Of course this was the result I normally got and thought it was due to product/ technique etc. Who would have thought.

DatJerseyDyme

Thanks for the input..I never thought of that...I also went back and read Amillion's guide to rollersetting..I'll try it her way the next time, and stop being lazy and put in that extra 30 minutes under the dryer..LOL

mirrormirror

[ QUOTE ]
Could someone tell me what could possibly be making my hair hard after a roller set..not crisp as in after using a setting loition, but not soft either. I use water w/olive oil in a spray bottle, soft and beautiful botanicals oil, and silicone (only on the ends) for setting...sometimes profective mega growth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey datjerseydime-
It might not be your styling product choice, it may be the shampoo and/or conditioner that you are using.

mirrormirror

my hair comes out light and airy , although my aunt does it for me at her house (she's a cosemetolist) I wash and condition my hair at home with Barry Fletcher moisturizing shampoo and mizani moisturefuse. And then when I get to her house, all she does is apply my choice of Paul Mitchell conditiong styling foam and then she roller sets my hair in purple or grey rollers. And then sometimes I'll apply Loreal vive serum when my air has completely dried, then I wrap my hair.

soslychic- I think the tightness of the curl more so has to do with the roller size, just use bigger rollers, so you wont have tight curls.