How do you relax the back of your head?

trulyurangel82

As some of you already know from some of my posts my hair is very underprocessed in the back. Its completly almost like a fro rly. I started self relaxing in sept to save money. The back areas for months just kept getting more underprocessed.

I plan on going to a professional to get a corrective and retouch because I know I cant correct it myself and im too scared to since its not just in sections its basically my whole back area. Im actually scared to go back to the hair salon because my old hair stylist doesnt do hair anymore so I have to find someone new. I hope they dont rip through my hair applying the relaxer

I have a question though. I told myself I will go to a professional now on but one day I might want to go back to self relaxing.

I did it in 2 sections as suggested (front and back alone). The front is easy to apply. Its the back area thats hard.
How do you relax the back area? Do you just feel around? Have a mirror?

Last edited:

Cayenne0622

trulyurangel82 said:
As some of you already know from some of my posts my hair is very underprocessed in the back. Its completly almost like a fro rly. I started self relaxing in sept to save money. The back areas for months just kept getting more underprocessed.

I plan on going to a professional to get a corrective and retouch because I know I cant correct it myself and im too scared to since its not just in sections its basically my whole back area. Im actually scared to go back to the hair salon because my old hair stylist doesnt do hair anymore so I have to find someone new. I hope they dont rip through my hair applying the relaxer

I have a question though. I told myself I will go to a professional now on but one day I might want to go back to self relaxing.

I did it in 2 sections as suggested (front and back alone). The front is easy to apply. Its the back area thats hard.
How do you relax the back area? Do you just feel around? Have a mirror?

Sorry you had a bad experience. :(

I just feel around. I can feel my new growth really good. I used to use my bare index finger. The discoloration is starting to go away. lol But now I use the tight fitting white surgical cloves and that works fine for me. I hope everything turns around for you. Ain't nothing like a relaxer that didn't turn out well. I experienced dryness and breakage when it happened to me some months ago.

Linxnme

I use a full length mirror behind me and put like the bathroom mirror in front of me. That way I can see the back.

ladylibra

2 sections? i always did it in 4 or 5 because my hair is thick and the crown was the hardest part to straighten. also i bet you do the front first don't you? which would mean the relaxer is on the front of your hair a little longer (more time to straighten). i always did my crown, then the back, then the front. go from hardest area to easiest area.

HTH :D

bebeautyfl

you could try 4 sections and relax the back 2 sections first and smooth and neutralize and the relax the front two sections smooth and neutralize so that you don't overprocess a section. It might be more work, but it may be worth it

skoloco

bebeautyfl said:
you could try 4 sections and relax the back 2 sections first and smooth and neutralize and the relax the front two sections smooth and neutralize so that you don't overprocess a section. It might be more work, but it may be worth it

What she said. I too started self-relaxing last November. The last 2 times, the front has been great, but the back and crown underprocessed. I just did my 4th self-relax touch up and I did it as bebeautyfl described--it took longer but came out so much better. Also, don't be shy with the relaxer creme--I think I was underprocessed before mainly because I didn't use enough creme. I used about twice as much this last time and my hair turned out so much better and processed they way it should.

One side on the back was more underprocessed than the other and there was a little breakage, so a slight setback. But I think I have the hang of it now.

Arcadian

I use mirrors and put my hair in 12 ponytails using hair clips. I guess they're called duckbill clips, but they look like this: http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/2230/152302

I use the ponytail method because its the easiest for me, and when I clip the hair in place, its right at the demarcation line. so anything below the clip is what gets relaxed. I just smoosh the relaxer through the bottom of the ponytail with my fingers and only release it from the clip to smooth each one, before putting it back in the ponytail.

So even though I do go by feel I also doublecheck that mirror to make sure I'm getting the relaxer in the right spots.

yes, its a lot of prep time but totally worth it in the longrun.

Doing half a head works for some and it worked for me when I needed it to, but have to say its not my preferred method.

-A

sareca

I use a combination of things. I start by parting my hair into six sections (three on each side) then I separate each section into 1 inch chunks using plastic duck bill clips. When it's time to apply the relaxer I use two mirrors, but you gotta be a contortionist.

sunnieb

Bumping for anymore responses......

I'm self-relaxing for the first time in a couple of weeks and need all the tips I can get! :)