How do you moisturize rod sets/braidouts/twistouts???

Iamnotmyhair

Hello lovely ladies,

I have a rod set right now that I did myself:) ,next I will try braidouts and twistouts)and I was wondering what I should use to moisturize while in this style. It seems like any type of cream moisturizer would make the curls drop. I could spray some oil on it but as I've learned on this board oil should be a sealant for the moisturizer not the moisturizer. Any suggestions?? As well, I was wondering is it damaging to the hair to re-wet (not drench just a slight mist of water and diluted setting lotion) and set some curls again (to airdry)that have dropped?? Thanks in advance ladies!

Last edited:

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
there's nothing wrong with re-setting some curls; I've done that before plenty of times. The curls in the back of my head are more likely to get smushed while sleeping, so I'd just roll those back up at night (mainly without re-wetting). As far as moisturization goes, I'm not sure. My curls only last a couple days anyway. I wish they would last longer but they get so frizzy that I have to re-wash.

Iamnotmyhair

Thanks girl for your suggestions. My curls in the back usually get smushed at night too. What kind of rollers do you use to re-set the curls at night while you sleep. I cant use the plastic spiral rollers. They hurt to sleep in:eek: . So usually first thing in the morning I will take my satin bonnet cap off and quickly spray a slight dew on the pieces I need to reset roll them up and go about the rest of my morning routine. So, once I am all dressed and ready to leave (hour or so later) I will take down the rollers and I have dried spirally curls. If I could find a way to sleep in some rollers at night I would prefer that.

planodiva

When you have your braidouts and twistouts it is a wonderful idea to mist your entire head before bed.

Typically I mix EVOO and a dab of conditioner to my ends before I retwist or rebraid and then mist for moisture. Also I don't think a lite cream like Rose H20 would make the curls drop.

Hope this helps

gradygirl

I have Dove Sheer Moisture Mist it worked very well and it does not get your hair wet. Its more of a dry mist if used sparingly but I quit using it because of the protein in it but if your hair can handle protein well it might be worth trying. I've also heard several things about UBH Dew. I've never used it but I read that it has no protein in it. You can do a search on here for both products. HTH

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
I have many types of rollers that I use to rollerset my hair, but for my normal smaller rollersets I use either medium snap-on rollers (by Annie, I got them from the BSS) or I use perm rods (the purple ones). I use flexi-rods sometimes too, but not as much as the other 2 types that I mentioned above.

dstdiva

i reset my curls with flexirods. i wet that curl, put some oil on it and some motions foam. i do this in the morning and by the time i'm ready to leave, they are dry. good luck.

Amari

Bumping,how are you ladies doing this now?Please include products you use,especially for flexi rod sets/rollersets.

Bun Mistress

Transitioning now and am past the point where a rollerset looks presentable (HA!) but with twist out I use re twist a at night with an all natural conditioner (I switch it up so if my last DC was moisture then I retwist with protein, current products are hairveda's Moist series and the Methi tea recover conditioner). I then seal with shea butter. untwist in the morning with a DAB of JBCO. When I used to rollerset twice a week I would use just an oil to seal then re roll with satin covered rollers.

darlingdiva

To moisturize a twist-out that has already been worn, I put my hands under the water. Then I rub my hands throughout my hair, making sure that I fluff my twist-out as I rub. Then I apply a dime-sized amount of KBB hair oil.