How do you maintain your wash n gos?

Neith

My bf told me he much prefers my natural texture to my twistouts... so I will try wearing wash n gos this week and see how it works out.

(Isn't he sweet? :))

Anyways...

I'm worried about tangles and single strand knots.

I'm thinking that wetting my hair everyday will make it more tangled.

I'm also really afraid to co wash daily. I have tried in the past and it just wasn't enough conditioning for my hair. If I'm going to completely wet my hair, I must DC or I get dry hair. Although... I wasn't natural when I tried this, so I dunno.

Anyways... sorry for being long winded. :lol:

How do you cut down on tangles while wearing your hair in it's natural state?

I was thinking of just dampening my hair with a water bottle and moisturizing/oiling every day. Does anyone do that successfully?

I use Teri's method for a wash n go, which doesn't really wash n go because it takes some time. Her site is www.tightlycurly.com. It essentially involves craploads of conditioner, detangling, and pulling the curls out. I do it at night and wear wng's for the next 2 days. I lightly dampen my hair in the morning, spray some leave-in conditioner on the hair (mixed with some oil), and gently fluff. I tie my hair down with a scarf and put a bonnet over it at night. I haven't figured out how to not have a flat smushed back of my head yet though. I can typically get 2 days out of it, then I must cowash again. And when I cowash, I put a deep conditioner in the hair and put a shower cap on it for the rest of my shower. It's def. not the same, but helps with the moisture issue. HTH.

You could try gently pulling your hair back into a low ponytail with a soft elastic, maybe like a scrunchie or something. And then covering with a scarf/bonnet. I tried it on a twist-out and it worked fine.

In the morning, just release the ponytail, fluff, and go.

Here's someone who demonstrates it:
http://public.fotki.com/Kinkerbelle/2008/april---june/

I have your same concerns when it comes to excessive wash 'n gos, tangles, knots, etc. I've been wearing twist-outs this summer, so the next time I wear a wash 'n go, I plan to try this method again.

You could try gently pulling your hair back into a low ponytail with a soft elastic, maybe like a scrunchie or something. And then covering with a scarf/bonnet. I tried it on a twist-out and it worked fine.

In the morning, just release the ponytail, fluff, and go.

Here's someone who demonstrates it:
http://public.fotki.com/Kinkerbelle/2008/april---june/

I have your same concerns when it comes to excessive wash 'n gos, tangles, knots, etc. I've been wearing twist-outs this summer, so the next time I wear a wash 'n go, I plan to try this method again.

One day I'll have hair long enough to pull into a ponytail :pray:.

I like your SO :)

I will usually wear the same wash n go for 3 days.

What I do for wash n go maintenance is: wash moisturize mousse and let airdry on day one
at night just moisturize my super dry hairline roots and put on a scarf. if my hair happens to be too big, i'll put on the scarf and then a bonnet on the ends. i do not tie this loosely and do not suggest a scrunchie cuz you'll get that dent (or at least i do).
The next morning I don't rewet, unless there is a particularly retarded looking area. I just take some cantu leave in and lightly moisturize with it. i pull at the under pieces to shape and stretch my hair, i kinda do a light fluffing and go. repeat for day 3 and that's it. If it's still looking cute enough for me, i'll go another day, but if it's too frizzy or something i'll only go 3 days. I hope that all made sense.

The only way I can do a wash-n-go without too many tangles is to detangle like crazy in the shower with my denman-like brush.

pause. (lol@denman-like)

Anyway...I do that, use a water/no-cone condish spritz, shea butter, and IC gel and call it a week.

I can go for about 4-5 work days like that...just lightly moisturizing in the morning with wet hands under the faucet and fluffing...putting on a band (headband or fully-round-the-edges band or clips-in-the-front and I'm out the door.)

I don't do this much, though....but it does work very well! I am on a twist-out roll at the moment.

Blessings,
cj

Back