How do you maintain moisture w/out Build up

Aveena

I use Sta Sof Fro and seal with EVOO or Coconut oil. Afterwards my hair is moist and a little sticky. I'm relaxed so the only thing I can do at that point is put my hair up because my hair will be stringy. Normally, if I wear my hair out it's only after a fresh wash or co-wash otherwise I'm stuck with up do's.

Anyone want to share on how they prevent build up between washes?

shunta

Stay Fro is like S Curl right? Because when I tried to use S Curl once, it left my hair a sticky mess.:perplexed

shunta

Fran said:
Yes, I think the two products are similar. Glycerin is the main ingredient.
I'll bet thats why your hair is sticky and seems like it has buildup. If you were to use something else, maybe without glycerine as the 1st 3 ingredients, I dont think your hair would feel like that. Just going off my experience.;)

Doll

I use Stay Fro sealed with EVOO also, but only when I am well into my post relaxer stage. It's sticky, but it's the only product that will tame my NG past a certain length. During this stage I rarely wear my hair down anyway. Currently I've been stretching my relaxer since June so these products are a god send.

When I don't have so much NG my hair is fine with NTM silk touch leave-in for moisture, Salerm 21 or Lacio Lacio for protein, and EVOO as a sealer. I wear my hair down more often during this time.

Last edited:

Aveena

shunta said:
I'll bet thats why your hair is sticky and seems like it has buildup. If you were to use something else, maybe without glycerine as the 1st 3 ingredients, I dont think your hair would feel like that. Just going off my experience.;)

Thanks. It feel like a catch 22 because glycerin really keeps the moisture in my hair be I can't do anything with it! o well I'm just afraid I'm going to run out an start buying all sealers I guess I'm stuck with Mizani Rose H20, which I use occasionally, but that stuff is expensive.

Aveena

Doll said:
I use Stay Fro sealed with EVOO also, but only when I am well into my post relaxer stage. It's sticky, but it's the only product that will tame my NG past a certain length. During this stage I rarely wear my hair down anyway. Currently I've been stretching my relaxer since June so these products are a god send.

When I don't have so much NG my hair is fine with NTM silk touch leave-in for moisture, Salerm 21 or Lacio Lacio for protein, and EVOO as a sealer. I wear my hair down more often during this time.

I'm three weeks post - maybe I'm bringing out the big guns too early :lol:. I definately need something lighter that works. I'll keep a look out for the products you say you use when you have managable NG.

HoneyDew

That sta sof fro and S-curl crap is just too much of a stick mess for me.

I use a moisturizing leave in on shampoo days and I follow it with my moisturizer after it is dry and styled. I am using the Qhemet Sidr tree balm at the moment.

My clarifying shampoo and moisturizing deep conditions are crucial maintaining my moisture, as well.

I really don't have to moisturize much between shampoo days. Sometimes I will use Kemi Oyl because it helps my Caruso curls smoother.

My hair never feels sticky.

Aveena

HoneyDew said:
That sta sof fro and S-curl crap is just too much of a stick mess for me.

I use a moisturizing leave in on shampoo days and I follow it with my moisturizer after it is dry and styled. I am using the Qhemet Sidr tree balm at the moment.

My clarifying shampoo and moisturizing deep conditions are crucial maintaining my moisture, as well.

I really don't have to moisturize much between shampoo days. Sometimes I will use Kemi Oyl because it helps my Caruso curls smoother.

My hair never feels sticky.

*Hmmm Moisturizing leave in - eh? **I'm off to do some searches online.

Thanks ladies!

HoneyDew

Fran said:
*Hmmm Moisturizing leave in - eh? **I'm off to do some searches online.

Thanks ladies!

Right now I am using Pantene's Breakage defense Leave in. I was using the Extra Liso or Smoothing comb in treatment from the regular line (they are the same thing! - to me at least) but my hair takes too long to dry with them.

The Breakage defense Leave in gives me the same (if not better) results but my hair dries faster (I airdry).

I think someone mentioned the NTM leave in. That's good too.

Tee

I love the QP Oil Recovery, Oyin Whipped Pudding, and ORS Olive Oil. I always use a leave-in conditioner after I wash.

I have learned the hard way that I cant use butters without clarifying my hair on wash day.

shunta

Letitia said:
I love the QP Oil Recovery, Oyin Whipped Pudding, and ORS Olive Oil. I always use a leave-in conditioner after I wash.

I have learned the hard way that I cant use butters without clarifying my hair on wash day.
Now you know I was gonna come in here and cosign right?:lol:

Fran...definitely explore your options, though. I would lay off the Stay fro. JMHO.

camellia

I have a cheap plastic spray bottle that I bought at Walgreens. I fill it with Evian and mist my hair very lightly before bed with it. Then I "seal" it with a tiny bit of hemp seed oil. I pour about a teaspoon full of unrefined hemp seed oil into my hands, rub them together and then run them over my hair, concentrating on the ends. Then I twist it up in to a bun and sleep in bun.

It's a very simple way to keep hair moisturized without build up. My hair is silky and still bouncy in the morning. And because I use such a small amount of water and oil, it's not wet in the morning either so it's excellent for the colder months.

Aveena

Thanks again. These are great suggestions. I feel a PJ itch coming on. :) But, I have a perfectly good excuse !!!

Tee

shunta said:
Now you know I was gonna come in here and cosign right?:lol:

Fran...definitely explore your options, though. I would lay off the Stay fro. JMHO.

:lol: :lol: I didnt care for the Sta Soft Fro either.

Camellia...Nice mixture.

Fran...that's right. Nice excuse.;)

Miss*Tress

Fran said:
Mizani Rose H20, which I use occasionally, but that stuff is expensive.
You can use this every day or every other day, just not too much. My jar lasted me almost a year that way. HTH.