How do you know which protein treatment is right for you?

Nonie

@Nonie @Fine 4s

I am trying to wrap my brain around how to use the Nexxus Emergencee. If I am following the discussion correctly, the recommended use is to alternate with a protein based product on a two-week schedule. Does that sound about right?

I don't agree with that explanation the you need to alternate Emergencée with a protein because I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how they decided polymers are not protein...and that Emergencée isn't a protein. I don't think you need to alternate a reconstructor with a pure protein either.

IMO, mzteaze, you can use Emergencée as your only reconstructor/protein source, even every week and be fine. If I hadn't discovered AO GPB, I would be using Emergencée alone...but I found out about AO GPB from this forum and liked it so added it to my regimen and I do alternate with Emergencée but not because I had ever seen that suggestion. It's just cheaper for me alternate coz Emergencee is too expensive and I can't be w/o it.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I don't agree with that explanation the you need to alternate Emergencée with a protein because I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how they decided polymers are not protein...and that Emergencée isn't a protein. I don't think you need to alternate a reconstructor with a pure protein either.

IMO, @mzteaze, you can use Emergencée as your only reconstructor/protein source, even every week and be fine. If I hadn't discovered AO GPB, I would be using Emergencée alone...but I found out about AO GPB from this forum and liked it so added it to my regimen and I do alternate with Emergencée but not because I had ever seen that suggestion. It's just cheaper for me alternate coz Emergencee is too expensive and I can't be w/o it.

I'm thinking its because the product doesn't use keratin or other generally accepted "strong" proteins. I'm thinking with you that its just a lighter type of protein, much like when people use SAAs.

Janet'

For me because I have extreme color, I wasn't scared to use the Aphogee two-step treatment. Yes, it is hard protein, but my hair can take it...and so far, so good!

Nonie

I'm thinking its because the product doesn't use keratin or other generally accepted "strong" proteins. I'm thinking with you that its just a lighter type of protein, much like when people use SAAs.

@mzteaze I'm not sure I follow. What are you referring to? The fact that folks say you need to alternate? I'm not sure what "it's" (bold) is referring to.
In other words, the reason you give "because the product doesn't use keratin or other generally accepted "strong" proteins"...is a reason for ____???

My understanding of reconstructors is they contain both moisture and protein, not just "light proteins" and it is that combo that makes them "safer" than pure proteins, and therefore my preferred source of protein. I've never had to wonder about moisture/protein balancing because that's not a problem that ever enters my world. I can use AO GPB and call it a day. I've even used it as a DC over the weekend and then as my conditioner midweek, w/o following it with a moisturizing conditioner and my hair's been fine.

Last edited:

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
@mzteaze I'm not sure I follow. What are you referring to? The fact that folks say you need to alternate? I'm not sure what "it's" (bold) is referring to.
In other words, the reason you give "because the product doesn't use keratin or other generally accepted "strong" proteins"...is a reason for ____???

My understanding of reconstructors is they contain both moisture and protein, not just "light proteins" and it is that combo that makes them "safer" than pure proteins, and therefore my preferred source of protein. I've never had to wonder about moisture/protein balancing because that's not a problem that ever enters my world. I can use AO GPB and call it a day. I've even used it as a DC over the weekend and then as my conditioner midweek, w/o following it with a moisturizing protein and my hair's been fine.

Sorry 'bout that ...my boss walked in while I was formulating my thoughts. But yes I think the suggestion to alternate is due to the idea that Emergencee is not necessarily a "strong" protein. But like you pointed out, its just a different TYPE of protein due to the amino acids, collagen, etc. Once you add in that Nexxus suggests using it every two weeks, well, you know how certain ideas get passed around as fact and voila.

I don't see a problem with how you use it because in the end, if it works for you, there's no need to make changes.

I was simply wondering if it was worth a look for my needs as I am at that length where everyone seems to report friction issues (SL). I was considering using it as an alternate between a stronger protein/moisture treatment to make sure my hair has all the assistance it needs to resist the friction (and inevitable splits).

Hope that was clearer.

Nonie

Sorry 'bout that ...my boss walked in while I was formulating my thoughts. But yes I think the suggestion to alternate is due to the idea that Emergencee is not necessarily a "strong" protein. But like you pointed out, its just a different TYPE of protein due to the amino acids, collagen, etc. Once you add in that Nexxus suggests using it every two weeks, well, you know how certain ideas get passed around as fact and voila.

I don't see a problem with how you use it because in the end, if it works for you, there's no need to make changes.

I was simply wondering if it was worth a look for my needs as I am at that length where everyone seems to report friction issues (SL). I was considering using it as an alternate between a stronger protein/moisture treatment to make sure my hair has all the assistance it needs to resist the friction (and inevitable splits).

Hope that was clearer.

mzteaze Yes, that was clearer. I honestly don't think you need a pure protein along with Emergencee. I am sure there are people who use it alone and are fine. My suggestion would be to try it and see if your hair doesn't do well with that alone...and only add a protein if you find you need to.

One thing I see on this forum is overkill. Folks trying too many things when one or two would have sufficed. KISS is a system that many come to find works like a well-oiled machine. No need to be extra.

Fine 4s

Mztease,
I don't use Emergencee but posted what I read on LHCF some time ago and kept the post because it was interesting. For now, I use the 2 step ApHogee only but would like to try the Emergencee in conjunction with my protein.
I don't know if you (Nonie) may ever get a response to your question. Where are the scientists? Where's gymfreak? Maybe you should email Nexxus or another scientist like Dr. Syed. Maybe I'll do it at some point in time.

Nonie

Mztease,
I don't use Emergencee but posted what I read on LHCF some time ago and kept the post because it was interesting. For now, I use the 2 step ApHogee only but would like to try the Emergencee in conjunction with my protein.
I don't know if you (Nonie) may ever get a response to your question. Where are the scientists? Where's gymfreak? Maybe you should email Nexxus or another scientist like Dr. Syed. Maybe I'll do it at some point in time.

Fine 4s, Dr Syed seems to be on the same page as me coz he does refer to proteins as polymers. Also Nexxus do not differentiate between them. So it's like asking people who didn't say something why they said something. I would have loved it if I knew who posted the info coz that's the person who might be able to answer.

I also posed the question to get people to stop just believing what they read but really do their research and put on their thinking caps, because it sounded like a lot of made up stuff that did nothing but confuse/mislead. Of course I would like to be set right if I'm wrong in my thinking.

prettyinpurple

I get my coupons in the mail. They send a catalog every month with a new on the cover. You should also sign up for the emails as they will send discounts that way too.

Yep I get mine from the catalog. It's the same coupon that's on the Web site. I also snag extra coupons from the recycling bin in the mail room of my apt building.:grin: