How do I thin out a wig?

hair7

I am a newbie to wigs. Today I purchased a half wig by Motown Tresses. I liked it in the BSS, however when I pulled the wig out the package it was very "wiggy" and thick looking. Should I cut it to make it look more real? If so, how do I go about doing that? Also, should I use baby powder to take away the shine? ANY help/advice is GREATLY appreciated!!

reeko43

You can buy "thinning shears" at a BSS and they don't cost much. Gothrough the rows and cuth close to the seams. The thinning shears just takes out some hairs, does not cut straight across. You can google "thinning shears" and come up with videos showing how they are used.

I have used cornstarch to take the shine out of wigs. I just put some in my hand, rub them together, and then rub my fingers through the wig. You don't want to use alot

gabulldawg

I don't know if this makes sense, but I usually cut the tracks of the wig. I may cut every other row or just a couple of tacks here and there depending on how thick the wig is. I usually always alter my wigs to make them fit me. Wigs are rarely perfect out of the package.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using HTC Glacier

hair7

Thanks everyone! This is great feedback! I've checked out a couple of youtube videos and the lady was using the thinning shears...going to the BSS to purchase some. I'm also going to take cut some of the tracks out and see how that works first. ms.blue - how do i tweeze the front of the wig?

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
If you use thinning shears make sure you cut very close to the track. Otherwise it'll still look bulky close to your head but thinner around the perimeter length of the wig. The hairs may also stand up and out visibly if you don't cut close enough.

I like what a pp said, split the tracks. You can do this with a simple razor.

Sent from TopNotch1010's iPhone using LHCF

hair7

Thanks. I'll start with cutting the tracks first and go from there!

THanks for the feedback!

If you use thinning shears make sure you cut very close to the track. Otherwise it'll still look bulky close to your head but thinner around the perimeter length of the wig. The hairs may also stand up and out visibly if you don't cut close enough.

I like what a pp said, split the tracks. You can do this with a simple razor.

Sent from TopNotch1010's iPhone using LHCF

ms.blue

hair7, place the wig on your head and mark where your temples are at andslowly tweeze some of the hair out to give it a more natural look. You can also tweeze the hairline a bit to also look natural.