How do I rollerset Faster!!!! Rollersetters help.

I'm not sure how braiding the hair then taking it apart while roller setting will cut down time. The time alone to take each braid apart I think will be time consuming. Also if it's about cutting styling time, isn't braiding and unbraiding the hair going to add more time to the process?

Instead of rubber bands, could you use little girl barrettes on the ends? It takes me an hour to rollerset and I'm looking to cut that time down and am going to try MsKibibi's method using tiny, plastic barrettes.

I'm not sure how braiding the hair then taking it apart while roller setting will cut down time. The time alone to take each braid apart I think will be time consuming. Also if it's about cutting styling time, isn't braiding and unbraiding the hair going to add more time to the process?

@ NYDee Braiding and washing and conditioning the hair in the braided up sections is supposed to help because you wont have to worry about parting and detangling those sections because they've been washed and conditioned already parted that way. Then once your ready to roll a section you unbraid the section and roll it. It should save detangling time...

I have found when I was over thinking it, my sets were taking me soooooooo long to do.
I also roll the back sides as if doing a shirley temple it makes it easier to get the clip in.
go on YT and watch how Mskibibi puts her clips in, this insures for a tighter roller and smoother roots.
I also keep a mirror behind me and off to the side so I get the back with ease.

By the third time doing the sets I had dramatically cut my setting time down to 30 mins, from and hour. I still need to perfect how much product to use because I have noticed some thinning of my ends from all the tugging and combing I was doing to get the hair on the roller flat.

How is the Marcherie dvd do you think it's any different from the youtube videos out there that are free? what does she do differently?

I don't have the macheriamour rollerset dvd, but I was a member of her site for a month and read on some of the techniques (basically all I've been doing, only thing I learned was the pull tug thing)

don't give up, the end results are worth it.

After I have washed I part the hair in three sections (mohawk style) and apply my leave in and serum (not too much) to each section and comb through. I don't braid anything, I just pin the sides back with my roller clips and I start my set from the middle.

It took me a long time at first too, now I can finish a set (and neatly too) in 20 minutes.

As others have said it will come in time, don't feel discouraged. The positives outweigh any negatives imo.

lol at above, it's true
I'm at APL now (have to update siggy picture) and it takes me 20-25 minutes to rollerset.
What helps me is:
-detangle throughly with my wide tooth comb
- have a visual of how many rollers in each section (mohawk with gray rollers all the way to the crown,3 purple rollers on each side rollersetting UP, then I fill the sections between crown and nape on the sides, all of this UP).
-spray each section and detangle again with my fine tooth comb making sure hair is really wet and that ends are smooth on the roller so you don't end with wrinkly ends.
-Use the macherie technique or roll, tug, roll, tug all the way to the scalp.
-I switched to the metal hair clips mskibibi recommended and they have made a world of difference as there is no space btwn rollers.

That's it, and i know it's kind of lame to say it but practice will make it better. If you have been doing it for some months now and you have noticed that it is taking you too long and you know that other people do it in less time, then evaluate your steps to see where you are wasting time.

I went and bought the mskibibi clips from Sally's today thanks to this post and after watching her YT vid. Can't wait to rollerset Sunday.

SN: Sally's only has a pack of 12 clips for $2.49, so I had to buy a couple of packs. Later on I went to a nearby BSS and they had a pack of 80 for only $4.99. Sally's.:ohwell:

I went and bought the mskibibi clips from Sally's today thanks to this post and after watching her YT vid. Can't wait to rollerset Sunday.

SN: Sally's only has a pack of 12 clips for $2.49, so I had to buy a couple of packs. Later on I went to a nearby BSS and they had a pack of 80 for only $4.99. Sally's.:ohwell:

I find that Sally's can be expensive for certain items...

Sitting under the dryer after trying alraines method on youtube. It went well for the most part but there was one big problem... on my left side, the middle section at the top (like where the first 2 rollers go) is like the size of a roller and 1/2 or 1/4. Meaning I had to either just deal with hair falling off the sides of those rollers or try to crunch in little rollers anywhere I could fit them. I decided to try and make this middle section 2 middle sections but I feel like this was really a mistake as I now have 2 rollers crunched in the space where only 1 1/4-1/2 rollers fit. My rollers are in and are tight for the most part but are ridiculously crowded :(... Seems like I was on the road to a 45 minute set (which is great for me) until I ran into this problem. It ended up taking 1 1/2 hrs.... anyone relate to this? Any suggestions?

I have been rollersetting for years and it still takes me at least 1 hour! When my hair is fresly relaxed and trimmed I can do it in 45 mins but thats not very often. It then taks like 2 hours to dry. I too hate wash days x

I have been rollersetting for years and it still takes me at least 1 hour! When my hair is fresly relaxed and trimmed I can do it in 45 mins but thats not very often. It then taks like 2 hours to dry. I too hate wash days x

I get mad at myself when people say they do it in 15 minutes..lol good to know I'm not the only one taking an hour + ... Lol I'm gonna wash again tonight so I'm gonna try some of the tips in this thread tonight... I should be getting my pibbs from ups tonight so I'm excited to see how much time I save!

Hi Lonei!

You are the first person I learned how to do rollersets from. When you had the avatar of your rollerset, I use to study it when I wanted to rollerset.

From SL to APL it has always take me 1hr to rollerset my hair. I make sure that each piece is thoroughly detangled also...so maybe thats why it takes me so long. I have to do that step because I shed like a dog and if I dont, ill have a matted mess.

I just rollerset again and although i was no faster, I lost very little hair by having more slip in my hair. I added coconut oil to my deep conditioner and mixed deep conditioners together... it did wonders the comb just slipped through my hair. I also washed in braids and used barrettes on the ends like you guys recommended. I'm going to be doing that from now on because I didn't break any hair trying to part it wet. So i'm pretty happy about that, so much so that I didn't even care that it took me an hour and a half..lol

:lachen:I've been rollersetting for years as well....and it takes me at least an hour too..dah well...

I was watching alraines video again and it made me mad all over again that she sets her whole head in 10-15 minutes... I noticed that she does it sitting down so I'm going to try that for my next wash since I always do it standing. Hopefully I could make it to 10 - 15 minutes too.... Wishful thinking

welp... still takes me equally as long 2 years later..lol I just re-read this thread for some old tips.. and sounds like I need to go back to adding coconut oil to my deep conditioner lol.. funny how sometimes you forget the things you did that worked in the past lol..

I'm a new setter and it takes me way too long.

My problem is mainly the placement of rollers. I'll run out of room, or my rows on the sides aren't neat and that takes a lot of time trying to angle the roller or even get the clip into a tight spot. I also find I have to re-roll some, and that also makes for a longer time setting.

I suspect that I can actually make larger sections since my hair isn't very dense.

I guess I will not complain anymore. I wanted to do it Dominican stylist fast in like 10 minutes but I do my rollersets in 20-30 minutes. I use gray rollers. I detangle in the shower. That takes me about 3 minutes. I apply a leave-in. I part and use a clip for the sides so they don't interfere with my mohawk. Also, each section gets resprayed so it is as wet as possible on the roller.

Can someone please tell me what size comes after gray. My hair is getting longer and I am running out of room on my grays. TIA!

I set my whole head in about 20 minutes when my hair is long, a bit longer when my hair is neck length or shorter. But I've been rollers setting since teen years and I am in my 30's now so I've had a lot of practice.

I do it like this. I rollerset in 5 rows - 5 rows of about equal width/size.

1.) I part my hair starting in the front at my hairline going to my nape in the back to make 5 sections/rows of about equal size. The parts I make by my ears curve to follow the ear. I use only 3 rollers to roll each ear section.

2.) I start rolling with the hair section by my left ear. I roll from hairline to nape.

3.) Next, I do the 2nd row, again rolling from front/hairline to the back/nape.

4.) Next I do the middle/mohawk row again rolling from hairline in front to nape.

5.) Next I do the 4th row, again rolling front/hairline to back/nape.

6.) Finally I do my right ear - the 5th and last row - rolling from front to back and - 3 rollers like the left ear.

7.) I part each section as I am about to roll it. No compicated system. I roll then part, then roll, then part. You get the idea.....

8.) I only pre-part the 5 equal-sized rows.

9.) I always start rolling in the front and work towards the nape/back. I find rolling the hair from nape to front bumps/loosens the rollers already rolled.

10.) I only roll very wet hair (put in leave-in then mist to make very wet).

11.) If hair starts to dry, I use a spray bottle with water to re-wet.

Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
I guess I will not complain anymore. I wanted to do it Dominican stylist fast in like 10 minutes but I do my rollersets in 20-30 minutes. I use gray rollers. I detangle in the shower. That takes me about 3 minutes. I apply a leave-in. I part and use a clip for the sides so they don't interfere with my mohawk. Also, each section gets resprayed so it is as wet as possible on the roller.

Can someone please tell me what size comes after gray. My hair is getting longer and I am running out of room on my grays. TIA!

Black rollers

I usually do the Mohawk edition, next set I will do it in halves (front and back) so not consumed with getting the middle part so straight at once

Last edited:
@venusfly.. I tried your technique of five rows last night for my roller set and it worked out great. Thanks again for sharing!!!!!!!!

I'm glad it worked out great! :grin:

Doing it row by row helps you keep the other section hair out of the way and the rollers for the completed rows act as a guide to help do the other sections left. :grin:

Back