How do I Completley Air Dry w/o Matting My Hair?

KeishaT

I just took out my micro braids and will shampoo w/ ORS uplifting shampoo and oilve oil aloe shampoo. I will deep condition for about an hour w/ the replenishing pak ( may mix w/ ORS hair mayo). I don't have a hair dryer my cousin borrowed and never returned. So I can only air dry. I have tried before, once after my deep condition I just detangled a little, put on a scarf and went to bed. I woke up w/ matted hair that i couldnt comb through. Is there any way I can air dry and be able to comb through once dry?

Poranges

Positive Vibrations
Yea, same happened to me, terribly matted hair....The only way I can air dry successfully is either out in braids or just out, with a scarf my hair mats, sorry I couldn't be of much help.

Soliel185

Yeah - airdrying loose is not a good idea. You can put it into any protective style - twists, braids, buns etc until it dries and it should dry stretched and relatively tangle free provided that you detangled before hand.

Also - make sure you moisturize your hair before putting it away to dry.

KeishaT

:yep:
I airdry in 6 or 7 fat twists. Maybe thats an idea???

sounds good 2 me but i think my hair is 2 short for 6 or 7 twists. I tried that about 3 months ago and my hair wouldn't cooperate. I will try again though but did u put anything in your hair or did you just begin to twist w/o any moisturizer or anything?

KeishaT

Yeah - airdrying loose is not a good idea. You can put it into any protective style - twists, braids, buns etc until it dries and it should dry stretched and relatively tangle free provided that you detangled before hand.

i have a bottle w/ a mixture of aloe vera juice, water, and glycerin. Would that be considered a moisturizer?

Ivy Santolina

To prevent matting I only air dry in braids or twists. After applying my leave-in I part my hair into 4 sections. Each quadrant I divide into 3-4 braids/twists. Then I cover my hair with a net scarf. My hair takes a long time to air dry so I try to do this a few hours before bed. Before bed I remove the net scarf and put on a satin scarf.
HTH.

baddison

natural for good
sounds good 2 me but i think my hair is 2 short for 6 or 7 twists. I tried that about 3 months ago and my hair wouldn't cooperate. I will try again though but did u put anything in your hair or did you just begin to twist w/o any moisturizer or anything?

I am currently SL, and when I air dry, I ususally spritz with my wet moisturizer, detangle & put into 6 sections, then I apply my creamy moisturizer (BB Oil Moisturizer w/Castor Oil...:lick:) to each section, then I twist the sections. That's it. Tie with silk/satin scarf. In the morning, wet, moisturize, seal (usually my butters), BUN....& go!!!

Soliel185

i have a bottle w/ a mixture of aloe vera juice, water, and glycerin. Would that be considered a moisturizer?

That's what I use to moisturize my hair - but you also have to seal that in - otherwise the moisture will actually evaporate as your hair dries. After you spray your hair with the mix, use an oil like coconut or castor before you braid it up. If you have a cream leave in you like, you can use that too - it goes 1.spray - 2.cream leave in - 3.oil - 4. detangle/braid.

msa

Are you going to shampoo twice and then DC? That seems like it would dry out your hair and make it more tangled later, especially because the ORS aloe shampoo is a chelator and clarifier.

Anyway, you should definitely not airdry loose. That's asking for a problem. After you finish DC'ing I would add moisturizer on damp hair, comb through, and then braid. I try to make sure my braids are tight from root to end so that my hair will be stretched out more as it dries.

elaine07

Yup... ITA!!!

KeishaT

That's what I use to moisturize my hair - but you also have to seal that in - otherwise the moisture will actually evaporate as your hair dries. After you spray your hair with the mix, use an oil like coconut or castor before you braid it up. If you have a cream leave in you like, you can use that too - it goes 1.spray - 2.cream leave in - 3.oil - 4. detangle/braid.

i have yet to find a cream leave-in. I never even thoght of using one. What kinds are available in stores? I have a whole foods, sally's, and Bss, all around me.

KeishaT

Are you going to shampoo twice and then DC? That seems like it would dry out your hair and make it more tangled later, especially because the ORS aloe shampoo is a chelator and clarifier.

Anyway, you should definitely not airdry loose. That's asking for a problem. After you finish DC'ing I would add moisturizer on damp hair, comb through, and then braid. I try to make sure my braids are tight from root to end so that my hair will be stretched out more as it dries.

I used both shampoos b/c i thought the uplifting was the clarifier and the aloe was the moisture shampoo. I just recently found out that it was a clarifier so now I have to find a moisture shampoo.

Soliel185

i have yet to find a cream leave-in. I never even thoght of using one. What kinds are available in stores? I have a whole foods, sally's, and Bss, all around me.

It depends on your hair type honestly. A lot of naturals tend to prefer natural butters like shea or avocado. ORS makes a cream moisturizer that comes in a bottle as well. Maybe do a search and see if you can find recs from members that have hair like yours?

msa

I used both shampoos b/c i thought the uplifting was the clarifier and the aloe was the moisture shampoo. I just recently found out that it was a clarifier so now I have to find a moisture shampoo.

If you wash your hair first with the clarifier, why would you need to shampoo a second time with a moisture shampoo? Your hair is clean already, that's just overkill. And if you want to clarify and moisturize at the same time I suggest taking your favorite conditioner, something not too thick, and mix baking soda into it and then use it. The baking soda will clean your hair and the conditioner will moisturize at the same time. I used to do it with Oyin Honey Hemp conditioner.

That ors creamy aloe is some strong stuff. It dried my hair out so bad the one time I used it, I threw the whole bottle away.

After coming out of braids or a weave I think you should use a gentle cleanser. For me, my hair kind of goes into a shock after coming out of a long protective style so I need to be gentle with it.