How Did You Get Past Being A "lazy Natural"?

Gr8ness83

Are there any naturals out therer who are just lazy like me? I mean in terms of styling. I have my cosmetology license and I can do other people's hair, I just dont have the patience to do my own, unless it is a protectie style... because that means that I will not have to do my hair on a daily basis for some time. Since November, I have been wearing my hair out and, I kid you not, everyday has been a "wash n' go" or I would pin it up for work some kind of way. I don't really shampoo my hair for my wash n' go's, I usually let the humidity from the shower refresh my curls or use some leave-in to refresh them then add oil and whatever styling aid I feel my hair will respond to that day. As far as roller sets, bantu knot-outs, braid-outs, twist-outs... I have attempted them on wet, damp, dry hair and I just don't seem to have the patience to do it. I would like to get into doing more styles that stretch my hair so I can minimize the number of ssk's. I don't have an obscene amount of ssk's but I do get them. I am on point in terms of my vitamins, oils and water intake but I cannot get this styling thing down.

I'll let you know when I get there because I'm still lazy as hell! :lachen: I don't know how people have the time or patience for actually styling natural hair on a regular basis. Twistouts, braidouts, whatever else. I got brave last spring and rocked my 'fro for a while. Got lots of compliments on it but it was a LOT of work.

I've been in braids, wigs, and weaves for the past 6 months. Might give the 'fro another go this spring.

I've been hair lazy, so to speak, for at least two decades. I solely air dried for 99.9% of my entire journey; I spent years in an air dried ponytail with the end braided and flipped up out of the way. Then, I spent a couple of years in two Pokahantas braids. Now, I keep my hair in four braids that are pinned up with large snap clips. When it's time to venture out, I unbraid, slap on a fitted skully-type hat (or Mary Tyler Moore-esque scarf) and go. It looks like a very defined, shiny, curly braid-out to onlookers, but underneath the hair is still divided into four uncombed, unbothered sections. When I return home, I take off the covering and pin each section with a large snap clip. Time to go out again? Un-snap clip, shake, apply covering and go. Easy peasy.

FWIW, you ARE styling your hair. You've perfected the art of an effective WNG, which is difficult. You know how to manage it and maintain it for all settings and seasons. You're styling! There's absolutely no need for you to slap it, flip it and twist it into various shapes and sizes in order for it to be characterized as styled. You're already there. Your go-to style is a WNG and you're wearing it well. Besides, SSKs are inevitable. As long as you're not getting an inordinate amount of them, you're fine, IMO. Plus, the trade off for stretching may be increased manipulation and possible breakage, and who needs that. If your hair is thriving with your current routine, you're fine.

Are there any naturals out therer who are just lazy like me? I mean in terms of styling. I have my cosmetology license and I can do other people's hair, I just dont have the patience to do my own, unless it is a protectie style... because that means that I will not have to do my hair on a daily basis for some time. Since November, I have been wearing my hair out and, I kid you not, everyday has been a "wash n' go" or I would pin it up for work some kind of way. I don't really shampoo my hair for my wash n' go's, I usually let the humidity from the shower refresh my curls or use some leave-in to refresh them then add oil and whatever styling aid I feel my hair will respond to that day. As far as roller sets, bantu knot-outs, braid-outs, twist-outs... I have attempted them on wet, damp, dry hair and I just don't seem to have the patience to do it. I would like to get into doing more styles that stretch my hair so I can minimize the number of ssk's. I don't have an obscene amount of ssk's but I do get them. I am on point in terms of my vitamins, oils and water intake but I cannot get this styling thing down.

Yep!

I can hardly wait until I can ponytail my hair again. Then it'll back to wash-and-ponytail's that I let the shower steam refresh for days . . . on repeat.

Right now I rock twist-outs and puffs, and I like them both! :yep: The twist-out works for me as a "lazy" natural because all I'm doing is taking down the twists I installed while detangling my hair. I can't really successfully detangle without twisting my hair up in sections. Just doesn't work. Might as well turn those twists into a style I can wear, then!

I do hope to learn to do a chunky flat twist-out. So, wait: You can do others hair but won't do yours? I kind of get that I think, but giiiiiirlllll!: If I could chunky flat twist my own hair!!!

And for special occasions I love wearing my hair in a stretched out wash-and-go a la Onicia Muller's method.

Natural Hair Tutorial | Wash and Go | Reduced Shrinkage

Otherwise, I looooove wearing the everyday style of a low-hanging, highly gelled ponytail with a bang either in the front or two the side. It's easy and lasts for days. I just shower steam, spritz, and go!

Last edited:
I think I may always be 'hair lazy' in terms of my own styling. I stick to wng because they've been working for me and my no-heat, no-comb self since I started. They look good, last long and only have to style my hair on wash day. I dont have terrible tangles and matting issues.

If I sit on YT, I can feel terribly boring because I rarely (if ever) wear knot outs/ twist outs/ braid outs, or other sets, let alone do intricate looking styles even though I have the skills. As much as I enjoy doing hair, I don't enjoy manipulating (my) hair often, especially at the expense of its health.

I do wonder as my mostly fine hair gets longer, if and how much I will have to alter my regimen and expand my styling.

Last edited:
Here's how my week goes:
Saturday/Sunday- wash day and dookie twist. 3 hours
Monday morning- unravel twist and put in bun or put hair back in faux French braid style. 10 minutes
Monday night- throw hair to the front and wrap with a satin scarf for bun or just place satin scarf and bonnet on hair for faux braid. 5 minutes.
Tuesday-Friday: repeat Monday morning and night.

I'll live vicariously through YT, pin.trest and IG because I don't have the patience or tolerance for anything else.

Some call it hair lazy, I call it "I don't have time to do all of that too my hair and it's still doing well" :)

When I first joined LHCF I was doing the most. I bought lots of products. Was doing twist outs & braid outs (and redoing them every night), Updos, wash and gos, co-washes, with weekly deep conditioning and protein treatments under the dryer. I was sooo excited about growing my hair.

Now I cornrow or twist my hair, slap on a wig, and go about my day. I don't even sleep with a bonnet on anymore and I use like 4 products. ACV for my scalp, black soap to cleanse, knot today as a leave in, and coconut oil to seal. The most I do now is take out my braids or twists and rock that when I want something different.

My old awesome shiny braid out :drool:
*poof

My new minimal product fluffy twist out
*poof

My wavy lace front wig
*poof

Last edited:
When I first joined LHCF I was doing the most. bought lots of products. Doing twist outs & braid outs (which i redid every night), Updos, wash and gos, co-washes, with weekly deep conditioning and protein treatments under the dryer. I was sooo excited about growing my hair.

Now I cornrow or twist my hair slap on a wig and go about my day. I don't even sleep with a bonnet on anymore and I use like 4 products. ACV for my scalp, black soap, knot today leave in, and coconut oil to seal. The most I do now is take out my braids or twists and rock that when I want something different.

My old awesome shiney braid outs
View media item 128959
My new minimal product fluffy twist out
View media item 128957
My wavy wig
View media item 128955
Can't see your pictures :(

I'm a very lazy natural. I wash n go 100% of the time. I wash & style on Sundays and will refresh with water & steam from shower during the week. I add additional products when needed. I get exhausted just thinking about doing other styles and braid outs and twist outs never turn out for me anyway.

Is getting past being a “Lazy Natural” something that naturals should be striving for…LOL? I feel like I’m a pseudo lazy natural. Currently I only wash and twist my hair once every two weeks. Daily I do moisturize and what not, but aside from that I don’t do much else. When I do take my twist down, I do not retwist at night…I just pineapple and KIM.

I think that for most naturals, the longer you are natural the more you simplify your regimen to fit your life and style. In my opinion twist fit me, they are my signature style and they allow me to literally have wake up and go hair.

What I can’t stand to hear is when people ask me, “when are you going to do something else to your hair?” Do people ask women who wear their hair loose/down every day the same question? My hair is not here for their amusement or enjoyment! Me wearing my hair in twist every day in my mind is the equivalent of Becky wearing her hair straight every day.

I'm lazy and I'm probably never going to change even though it leads to problems, especially if I'm wearing my hair out in a fro 24/7.

I used to keep my hair in two strand twists, but after a while they get fuzzy and dull looking and at that point if I take them down, they get knotted up. And it takes to long to retwist enough of them to make the style look fresh again.

I like wearing small finger coils/palm rolls instead now. Even if I don't refresh for weeks, they still look shiny and I don't get knots when I take them down. Also, they twist up so much faster.

Due to the density and length of my hair, I have become a lazy natural. It just takes too long to do ANY style, so I find that twists are the quickest and easiest to do. I would love to experiment more with styles, but it takes SOO long that I talk myself out of it every time. I have a ton of perm rods and flexirods just sitting collecting dust. I would like to try a perm rod at least once this year.

Here's how my week goes:
Saturday/Sunday- wash day and dookie twist. 3 hours
Monday morning- unravel twist and put in bun or put hair back in faux French braid style. 10 minutes
Monday night- throw hair to the front and wrap with a satin scarf for bun or just place satin scarf and bonnet on hair for faux braid. 5 minutes.
Tuesday-Friday: repeat Monday morning and night.

I'll live vicariously through YT, pin.trest and IG because I don't have the patience or tolerance for anything else.

Some call it hair lazy, I call it "I don't have time to do all of that too my hair and it's still doing well" :)

Yeah what she said - 'bolded'

I only have time to wash and DC once a week and that's it plus I'm hair lazy. I protective style with wigs and buns predominantly

Last edited:
Girl! Lazy natural here! :wiggle: my routine consists of bunning until wash day, and on wash day my hair is washed in sections, moisturized in sections, and then back to bunning or whatever protective style. Right now I'm in twists and will remain in twists for the rest of the winter. I get my style-high from YouTube cause #aintnobodygottimefahdat :lol: there's just too much hair on this head for me to play in it with out styles. The most I do is wash and go in the summer.

Lazy for me means length retention and time saving. I workout a lot and do not have time to fool with straightening, retwisting, reversion, etc. Every now and then I'll rock a twist out that will be back in a twist bun once the definition goes away. But these twist buns have been my saving grace as far as retention, time, and extra sleep in the morning, as all I do is cleanse/condition once a week and refresh my bun throughout the week.

I used to twist to stretch my hair to do these twist buns but now I can do them on unstretched hair. Score. So now I can cleanse, condition, moisturize, and put it right into a bun.

So if this is being a lazy natural, I'll gladly accept the title and length retention :lachen:.

You ladies make some very good points. I don't want to be the type of natural who never does anything with her hair and I'd like to be able to do at least 2-3 other things besides a WNG. When I was stationed in Korea, I used to get my hair braided all the time and when I finally desised to wear my curls out, I would braid the front 1/4 of my hair and leave the curls out. I started trying to do that last week and got irritated by the time I finished the first braid so I just took it out. I called myself trying to do a flexi rod set last week because my son and I were visiting The White House but that was an epic fail so I just sprayed some leave-in in my hair, added some curl cream and left it at that. To me, part of being natural is the versatility, not just from curly to straight (which I nearly never do). I haven't even mastered a high puff! What kind of natural am I??? I swear I've tried, maybe I have a funny head shape. Idk.

I intended on keeping my natural hair out until May but I think that I may get some twists in. Y hair until then. Maybe braid the front 1/4 section and get Marley twists in the rest of my hair.

@Gr8ness83 For variety:look: , I too sometimes style my wng by braiding the front, or top half, or just clipping it up (banana clips and the puff cuff are my safe bets). I'm saving my setting life for when I get a hood hair.dryer. I think then maybe I'll be tempted to do more:happydance:.

Last edited:
I am a lazy natural. I used to twist, braid, roller set, flat iron and whatever else we do to our hair...until i discovered wash n go's now i've been rocking wng for the past 3 almost 4 yrs! To be fair life is hectic and will be for another 12 months or so...ain't nobody got time for this hair, when my 7 yr old has hair for the gawds and gets the bulk of hair attention & care!
I have a Black tie affair to attend today and guess what imma do with my hair?? :) #fro&go #wng My middle kid and i will be quite the pair as he is letting his fro grow into whatever these young people are doing these days and i'll be rocking that wng fro!

Lazy for me means length retention and time saving. I workout a lot and do not have time to fool with straightening, retwisting, reversion, etc. Every now and then I'll rock a twist out that will be back in a twist bun once the definition goes away. But these twist buns have been my saving grace as far as retention, time, and extra sleep in the morning, as all I do is cleanse/condition once a week and refresh my bun throughout the week.

I used to twist to stretch my hair to do these twist buns but now I can do them on unstretched hair. Score. So now I can cleanse, condition, moisturize, and put it right into a bun.

So if this is being a lazy natural, I'll gladly accept the title and length retention :lachen:.

@NaturallyATLPCH, what are the steps to creating your twist bun? What are you using as your tie? Thanks in advance!

I'm still transitioning (again), but the lady next door to me is a waist length natural. Her hair is worn in several medium(?) size twists every day. She will pin them up or bun them sometimes, but they stay in those twists. I've never seen her hair loose. I am lazy and this appeals to me. From a brief convo I had, I got the impression the only time she messes with each strand is on wash day with maybe some moisturizing of the ends in between wash days.

I have evolved into a lazy natural. When I was a newbie, I jumped on every new trend, product line, and technique. As I perfected my routines and products, I realized that less is more. I was able to pare down to my holy grail products and best retention methods and free up much more time. Now as I take even more of my time back, I am using mini/medium twists as my primary style. I have been crimping, flexi-rodding, updoing, and bunning these twists and loving the freedom.

Back