How come Christians don't....

smwrigh3

Forgive my ignorance on the subject but I have a couple questions about practices of Christians. I recently took a position as nanny for a Jewish family and I know a lot of things that they do that we as Christians don't and it confused me b/c from Judaism came Christianity.

1) Y don't we encourage our children to lean Hebrew? The children I am currently nannying are learning Hebrew b/c it is the language of their ppl and I was thinking aren't there people my people?

2) Y don't we have to keep kosher? When I first started working for them they told me they were kosher and they explained it to me. I went a little further to research and both the passages in th bible its in leviticus and Deuteronomy. I asked my father why we don't have to do it and he told me "When Jesus came he made NEW laws of the land and therefore we don't have to follow the old ones" so then I said if thats the case why do we live by the 10 commandments...he told me something but to be honest the answer was sufficient enough for me.

3)Y don't we participate in Passover.... I am reading a book to the children called my first Passover and it celebrates Moses leading the children of Israel out of Egypt. Now I learned this story as a child but I was wondering why we don't celebrate it like they do?

I just wanted to ask a couple questions. I not trying to offend anyone I consider myself a devoted Christian and I was wondering about the practices of Jews and Christians. If you are a Christians on here who actually does these things please explain why and if you don't could you explain why you dont. Sorry for the LONG post!

LovingLady

3)Y don't we participate in Passover.... I am reading a book to the children called my first Passover and it celebrates Moses leading the children of Israel out of Egypt. Now I learned this story as a child but I was wondering why we don't celebrate it like they do?
Passover is something that happened to the Hebrew people. Even though Christianity stems from Judaism not all Christian have a Jewish background, therefore "we" don't find a need to celebrate passover.

Last edited:

divya

Great thread.

I am a Christian who believes in keeping the health principles of the Scriptures. In my branch of Christianity, we believe that God's laws are valid and apply to us today until heaven and earth pass away as Jesus said in Matthew 5.

Matthew 5:17-19 17Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

18For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

19Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

The only laws we believe were nailed to the cross are the sacrificial/ceremonial laws because Jesus was and is our Passover lamb. That is why Passover is not mandatory anymore, neither the other holy days within the ceremonial system.

Colossians 2:14-17-18 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

15And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

16Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

The handwriting of the ordinances refers to the sacrificial/ceremonial laws which had certain instructions as to what to eat and drink at certain times, particular holy days and new moons and sabbath days that we can see in Jewish religion today. Note that the sabbath days here are different from the weekly sabbath which is in the Ten Commandments. These sabbath days are special days in the ceremonial law such as Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur etc and don't necessarily fall on the weekly Sabbath. Those are the ones that are blotted out.

So a minority of us do believe in keeping the health laws and Ten Commandments including the Sabbath.

We know that it is Jesus who saves us, but we keep His commandments out of love for the Lord. That is what He desires us to do.

John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

The majority of Christianity believe as your father does, that Old Testament law were nailed to the cross. But there is a Christian minority that does keep the laws of God.

Last edited:

makeupgirl

Forgive my ignorance on the subject but I have a couple questions about practices of Christians. I recently took a position as nanny for a Jewish family and I know a lot of things that they do that we as Christians don't and it confused me b/c from Judaism came Christianity.

1) Y don't we encourage our children to lean Hebrew? The children I am currently nannying are learning Hebrew b/c it is the language of their ppl and I was thinking aren't there people my people?

2) Y don't we have to keep kosher? When I first started working for them they told me they were kosher and they explained it to me. I went a little further to research and both the passages in th bible its in leviticus and Deuteronomy. I asked my father why we don't have to do it and he told me "When Jesus came he made NEW laws of the land and therefore we don't have to follow the old ones" so then I said if thats the case why do we live by the 10 commandments...he told me something but to be honest the answer was sufficient enough for me.

I just wanted to ask a couple questions. I not trying to offend anyone I consider myself a devoted Christian and I was wondering about the practices of Jews and Christians. If you are a Christians on here who actually does these things please explain why and if you don't could you explain why you dont. Sorry for the LONG post!

I don't practice any of the practices that you named. It never occured to me to do so. I'm considered a gentile because I'm not Jewish. At the end of the day, I'm apart of the body of Christ and that's all I care about.

Last edited:

Guitarhero

It's mostly cultural now. The Church has spread all through the world. The oldest christian cultures like the Syriacs, the Ethiopians, the Armenians etc., all use a certain language for the liturgy much like Hebrew did. Christians do not say all the Jewish prayers that are said in Hebrew but some communities do recite prayers and liturgy in the "holy" language, like the Coptics of Egypt.

Again, there are so many peoples who have come into christianity and their practices reflect their own cultures.Some older countries do keep a form of kashrus or "kosher." They do not eat pork and they fast during certain times of the year with vegetable and/or dairy. It's just a form of dietary law.

My Church does but in its deeper meaning. There are various levels of meanings in the scriptures and Christ is the paschal sacrifice. Everytime we celebrate the Mass, we are celebrating the passing over of evil and the protection of G-d's people. We are accepting the Paschal Lamb by eating the blood and body (literally, as it turns into it when consumed).

Not offensive in the least. One can learn more of Christ by learning about the culture He came from. We can see many Jewish practices and meanings in christianity (if you look deeply enough).:yep:

brg240

When Christianity was first getting it's start people thought they had to learn Hebrew/get circumcised/become a Jew first and then they could become Christians. Paul put a stop to that, said it's not necessary. I do think learning Hebrew is great if you can learn it though :yep: I would like to but there are other languages more relevant to me.

I'll try to answer your other questions later, it's last week of school and i'm swamped right now

You should probably take a Christian history, theology, or Old Testament/New Testament survey course. I think you'd like them :yep: Most community colleges offer survey of the OT and NT.

I have a book called 'History of Christian Theology' by Placher and I think it touches on these points. :)

Prudent1

Girl sad as it is some of us aren't teaching our children to learn anything cuz we is so ignant ourselves:blush:. :badgirl: For real tho.:look: (For those that the shoe fits only) If we spend our hard earned $$ on items whose value decrease rapidly versus education etc then wait on somebody to help us out...:rolleyes:
Anyway, let me move on before I find myself banned. I have had a desire for quite some time now to learn Hebrew. I find it presents not a different picture (for all who are on the lost in translation theory bandwagon) but certainly a more colorful, descriptive picture of those same events. What little I have learned so far I do share with others who are like minded. I certainly plan on taking some courses that relate to this and think learning Hebrew is a wonderful idea. Largely cultural, but still understanding history is always very enlightening and relevant to today's events IMO.

Unless they are Messianic Jews(it doesn't sound as if they are), the jewish ppl I know do not believe Jesus was the promised Messiah. They are still waiting on his arrival. Jewsih ppl do not read the New Testament. to do so would equate to blasphemy and result in being disowned from one entire cultural family. That is how they will be deceived by the anti-christ in the future.:yep: Your dad was in the range of that with his explanantion. Jesus came to complete the laws. He came to enhance and clarify not do away with. We are still following the 10 commandments. When you study the very detailed behaviors that are involved in each ceremony/ holy day it becomes very clear that they all point to the arrival and life events of Jesus. It is fascinating stuff!:grin: Man was never able to keep the laws in perfection on our own. We had to have many years of examples of that human shortcoming so that when Jesus did arrive and complete things, we could clearly see how much we needed him. He was/is our high preist. He was the only one able to tear the ceremonial veil previously separating us from a holy GOD in the temple so that we could resume communing with GOD the Father. As far as being kosher is concerned, certainly their dietary choices will not cause harm to anyone. In Acts 11 there is a scripture that explains why we have choices as to our diets(There is another passage in the bible that plainly says if you eat meat keep eating it if you don't don't and don't try to make others do what you do. I can't recall where. Maybe someone else will chime in). There is a bigger meaning from that passage dealing with gentiles and jews but on a smaller note we know that God made everything and as such everything in moderation, with much prayer, is fit for consumption. If we pray and ask God might he tell us something we individually should avoid? Yes. Why can some ppl smoke like chimneys and have no health issues? Why do some tolerate alcohol better than others? God made us so he knows us. Who knows better about the design? The designer or someone else? What your body or spirit etc can handle mine might not. We cannot try to make something he has dealt with us on (within reason now y'all:spinning:) a new law for all and condemn others when they participate in that activity. Case in point, during a fast this year God wanted me to stop drinking soft drinks.:ohwell: I do not know if that is permanent or for a season. I can tell you that any soft drinks, even when consumed accidentally cause me to become violently ill. :ohwell: We all know too much of anything can be bad. We all know soft drinks in general are bad for you. Does that mean that I should condemn anyone around me who drinks one? Whatever you eat, bless and sanctify your food and go on. If God can create a universe, he can tell you when you have had one too many ribs if you ask and listen.:lachen:
In most cases, ppl have not been taught to observe the high holy days. As I learn better I try to do better. I have started observing these days. There are some threads here about that too in the CF. See, although there is nothing wrong with them, Christmas:eek:, Easter, and some other holidays we observe are not biblical. On the other hand there are ceremonies and holy days God commands us to observe. He himself observed them while he was here even though he would be the completion of those things:spinning:. I encourage those who want to to observe them to learn and do so. We have such a rich history as believers. Plenty of ppl still perish b/c of lack of knowledge though.:perplexed

So to wrap it up. I do participate in some of the things you mentioned. I know others IRL who do as well. I did not grow up that way. This is what I believe in my heart is pleasing to God. If I am wrong, He will let me know.:yep: There are many scriptures addressing the fact that God does not want us ignorant pertaining to this and a variety of other things. I think for whatever reason, probably so you can share, you are there to learn how the traditions and customs of the family intertwine with Christianity. Who knows? If the opportunity presents itself, you may be able to share Jesus with them. Be careful though. Use extreme wisdom. It is a highly sensitive thing for the Jewish ppl I know. Live/show by example. Thanks for asking! Wonderful questions!:yep:

Last edited:

Guitarhero

When Christianity was first getting it's start people thought they had to learn Hebrew/get circumcised/become a Jew first and then they could become Christians. Paul put a stop to that, said it's not necessary. I do think learning Hebrew is great if you can learn it though :yep: I would like to but there are other languages more relevant to me.

I'll try to answer your other questions later, it's last week of school and i'm swamped right now

You should probably take a Christian history, theology, or Old Testament/New Testament survey course. I think you'd like them :yep: Most community colleges offer survey of the OT and NT.

I have a book called 'History of Christian Theology' by Placher and I think it touches on these points. :)

There are still churches who haven't changed the liturgical language of Aramaic...related to Hebrew. It was the dialect of Jesus as well as theirs throughout until other historical changes...but they always kept this as the liturgical language. Christians still said the prayers in Hebrew...but it became a cultural shift when gentiles entered the Church and finally outnumbered Jews.

luthiengirlie

So to wrap it up. I do participate in some of the things you mentioned. I know others IRL who do as well. I did not grow up that way. This is what I believe in my heart is pleasing to God. If I am wrong, He will let me know.:yep: There are many scriptures addressing the fact that God does not want us ignorant pertaining to this and a variety of other things. I think for whatever reason, probably so you can share, you are there to learn how the traditions and customs of the family intertwine with Christianity. Who knows? If the opportunity presents itself, you may be able to share Jesus with them. Be careful though. Use extreme wisdom. It is a highly sensitive thing for the Jewish ppl I know. Live/show by example. Thanks for asking! Wonderful questions!:yep:

Achoti... you've explained this better than i ever could...
Baruch

smwrigh3

:wow::wow::worship2::worship2::worship2::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Thank you for all the responses! I thought this thread had went of into Lala land thats why I nvr came back but I love to learn about my religion and the history of it all.

I am think about talking a course on Christianity because I was told that a Christian should know what he/she believe and should be able to tel the world "why?" I find myself getting lost on the why part sometimes!

I thank you for your responses. I don't think I will be become kosher but I know I want to research religious holidays God asked up to observe. I think I might have a passover dinner at my house this year! I want to celebrate God for who he is and what he has done for me and I want to make sure I am doing it right. I didnt grow up in a religious household but I knew who God and Jesus were.. BUT I know there is so much more than that

Prudent1

I am think about talking a course on Christianity because I was told that a Christian should know what he/she believe and should be able to tell the world "why?" I find myself getting lost on the why part sometimes!
I think that can be a great idea. The thing about true Christianity is we are all about a personal relationship. IMHO, a lot of other religions are more historical or rules based. So, what I'm saying is a lot of the WHY will be answered only as you continue to live and develop that relationship. We never stop learning. You can read the same passage you've read several times and get another light bulb moment:think:. Why? B/c God's word, unlike a typical book is alive. It truly is the gift that keeps on giving:giggle:.
Here is a resource I have used for the past several years to help me understand celebration of the High Holy Days as it relates to Christians. HTH!
Christian Holidays Series - CEM Bookstore CHDSCD : Born to Win
This series is excellent. You may be able to google it and listen to them at no charge.
Check out his site as a whole. Born to Win - Making Life Work
He has several links pertaining to the relationship of Jewish traditions and Christianity.