How can I politely get people to stop?

bubblegumdreams

Does anyone else think it's bad etiquette so to speak...when folks peep over your shoulder or lean over with no shame....to see how much you tithe?
When I was younger they would just send the collection plate around and you'd just drop the money in the plate.
My church that I attend now as an adult...uses evelopes for tithes and offerings.
I have noticed that people do this often and sometimes it's even people who I invite with me as guests....I have no shame in my giving to the Lord, but It makes me feel weird when people do this.

Bigghair

That is so tasteless! I would probably just give them the look. No one has ever done this to me and I am glad because that is between the Lord and me.

**Tasha*Love**

Unfortunately I don't know of any sure fire method that will make people stop looking over your shoulder while preparing your offering. I have given people the mean but nice look :look: and they still don't catch the hint.

I take a few envelopes for my future tithes and prepare my giving at home or at the office. All I have to do is take it out of my purse and drop it in the bucket when I get to church. Voila! :)

PaperClip

1. Prepare your tithes and offerings BEFORE you get to church (cosigning **Tasha*Love**)
I complete and pray over my tithes before I leave my home. This allows me to focus and sanctify my tithes and offerings directly unto the Lord so whatever happens at church, I did what I was supposed to do.

2. Say "may I help you with anything? I'm preparing my tithes and offering and this is personal between the Lord and me.

3. Move from your seat to an open section elsewhere and write out the envelope there.

4. Don't let others control your behavior or distract you from the task at hand.

cocoberry10

OP, I have to say, I've never experienced this (at least not that I know of), but my advice to you is simple.

FOCUS ON THE LORD AND ONLY THE LORD WHILE AT CHURCH!

HE WILL TAKE CARE OF HIS CHILDREN, WHETHER THEY ARE BEING NAUGHTY OR NICE:lol::yep:

momi

1. Prepare your tithes and offerings BEFORE you get to church (cosigning **Tasha*Love**)
I complete and pray over my tithes before I leave my home. This allows me to focus and sanctify my tithes and offerings directly unto the Lord so whatever happens at church, I did what I was supposed to do.

2. Say "may I help you with anything? I'm preparing my tithes and offering and this is personal between the Lord and me.

3. Move from your seat to an open section elsewhere and write out the envelope there.

4. Don't let others control your behavior or distract you from the task at hand.

ITA - Especially with number 1. Praying and hearing form The Lord concerning giving during my prayer time and having them already prepared prior to service.

firecracker

Wow! I never experienced that I usually have my check and envelope filled out the night before service unless I decide to give a general offering at the last minute.

discobiscuits

yeah, what firecracker said. if you are not putting cash in the envelope, just leave the envelope blank and write your member # on the check.

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

Does anyone else think it's bad etiquette so to speak...when folks peep over your shoulder or lean over with no shame....to see how much you tithe?
When I was younger they would just send the collection plate around and you'd just drop the money in the plate.
My church that I attend now as an adult...uses evelopes for tithes and offerings.
I have noticed that people do this often and sometimes it's even people who I invite with me as guests....I have no shame in my giving to the Lord, but It makes me feel weird when people do this.

Send it directly to the church office on a weekday. Save the cash offerings for other than tithe. People can be awful.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
It's rude. I make my offerings through online banking. :)

Hairlove, first of all I think this is an excellent idea, it shows your dedication to God and that you already have it established in your heart to make your giving a priority.

I laughed after I read your post, because I suddenly saw people (the nosey ones) :lol: who look at you and think, you never give.

I hope I expressed this right. It's truly not meant to be offensive and I wholeheartedly apologise if I did offend. My laughter is at the 'folks' not you.

Love you much precious sister, :kiss:

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Wow! I never experienced that I usually have my check and envelope filled out the night before service unless I decide to give a general offering at the last minute.
I've never had this experience either in Church. I usually come prepared as well, unless we have a call for an additional offering.

I had to laugh at this thread, because I can't imagine folks doing this... And to think I thought I had 'seen it all'.....:lol:

Highly Favored8

That is so rude and tasteless=( Why don't you try to put it in an envolpe with your name on it only. Or just tell the Pastor and have him/her call the people out in church!

bubblegumdreams

I just wanted to say a Big Thankyou Ladies for all of your advice and input....I debated about talking to the pastor about it.....but I think I'm going to try and prepare my tithe and offerings at home first and see how that works out.
Thanks again
Peace and Blessings

chicacanella

This is the exact reason that regardless what my tithe amount was or is, I turn my envelope facing the front so that the people to the side of me or behind me can't see. I'm not giving God's money back to Him for people to see, that's between me and God.

Another thing you can do is after you put it in the envelope, cover it up with your hand during prayer...the amount I mean.