How Can I Know My Hair Type?

jennifer30

I would like to know my hair type just to know, you know. How can I know my hair type? I have natural hair but my curls are non existant and my curl pattern only shows when I apply products or when my hair is really wet. Other then that my hair looks straight most of the time.

SAPNK

Does your hair look straight because it is stretched or manipulated (combed/ brushed) a lot, or does it get like that without manipulation? If it does, I've never seen that before.

Pics please. :grin:

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
If your hair has a curl pattern when wet, it's safe to say that your hair is not naturally straight when it's dry. Normally, the curls get tighter when the hair dries. For instance, my hair is barely wavy when wet, but it curls up to a 3c when it's dry.

Please wash and condition your hair and let it air dry so that the curl pattern is visible in a dry state. Then take a pic and share with us! :)

ETA. https://www.naturallycurly.com/hair-types A curl quiz...

I just realized I'm probably more 3b/c than just 3c.

Last edited:

Bunnyhaslonghair

Ebonics Queen
Do you heat straighten? When I straightened I still had a tight curl pattern but it wasn't my true texture. Even though it didn't seem like my hair was heat damaged or looser, when I stopped using heat my new growth was a whole new animal. What it took to detangle my true texture was totally different.

So the only way to see your true curl pattern, imo, it's too take a section that hasn't been flat ironed, wash it, and let that area air dry completely.

jennifer30

My hair is in a protective style now so I can't take a pic of my hair now but I will later...it was silly of me not to post a pic...lol. fyi, my hair is curly when it's wet but when it dries it turns into an afro..with no curl pattern..i comb my hair a lot and it becomes straight when I do that..thats what I meant..

Evolving78

My hair is in a protective style now so I can't take a pic of my hair now but I will later...it was silly of me not to post a pic...lol. fyi, my hair is curly when it's wet but when it dries it turns into an afro..with no curl pattern..i comb my hair a lot and it becomes straight when I do that..thats what I meant..
I only comb/pick my hair out if I want a fro. When I want to wear my hair coily, I put gel in my hair when it's wet. I use gels that have a lot of hold, or I use styling milks. I just run my fingers through, but I don't comb my coils out. My hair doesn't get straight at all though.

I believe you are 4b from what I have seen.

jennifer30

I only comb/pick my hair out if I want a fro. When I want to wear my hair coily, I put gel in my hair when it's wet. I use gels that have a lot of hold, or I use styling milks. I just run my fingers through, but I don't comb my coils out. My hair doesn't get straight at all though.

I believe you are 4b from what I have seen.
Well you have gorgeous hair and looks pretty easy to work with..my natural hair is a mess esp. on wash day..lol I'm really thinking about relaxing again

Evolving78

Well you have gorgeous hair and looks pretty easy to work with..my natural hair is a mess esp. on wash day..lol I'm really thinking about relaxing again
Well thank u!
You know I went back and have no regrets! Protective style in braids this summer, and go back in the fall. I'm not here to talk you out of that! Lol others will, but I won't! Lol

jennifer30

Well thank u!
You know I went back and have no regrets! Protective style in braids this summer, and go back in the fall. I'm not here to talk you out of that! Lol others will, but I won't! Lol
I'll probably end up relaxing before the end of the year. The only problem I have with relax hair is that my hair gets really thin. I like the thicker hair I have being natural but I hate the struggle that comes with it. Did i mention i hate wash day and detangling this mess.i lose so much hair...I'm gonna keep this protective style in for a long time ... What's a good product to detangle my hair though?