How can I help my hair to grow while wearing a sew-in wig????

CJ22

My hair is braided around and I'm also wearing a sew-in wig?

It all cost me $60...smh

So since I'm wearing a sew-in wig and I can't take put it on and take if off when I want...how can I help my hair to grow and keep it from breaking off. I sometimes spray my hair (since the wig is sewn to a net so I can easily spray and massage my head) with leave-in conditioner.

amwcah

Your on the right track by spraying it. I recommend alternating between a water-based moisture( S Curl) and protein (Carefree Curl) moisturizers. I usually dilute mine so I won't get any product build up at the base of my braids.

Dang it only cost you 60!?! I know nothing about weaves, but plan on getting one in feb for the super growth...and the salon wants 250, and the remy hair (0n amazon) is 25 a pack and I've been told I'll need two packs.

Too pricey for a style that'll last 3-4 months?

I'm also curious how you can care for your hair when it's covered...

RoseGolden

Definitely keep spraying your braids underneath with something moisturizing every few days. Can you get conditioner under there? When I wore sew-ins I would deep condition my hair underneath every 2 weeks or so. I grew my hair from shoulder length to around mid-back with sew ins, there's some older pics in my profile.

When you take it down thoroughly and carefully detangle your hair with a good detangler before washing to remove any shed hair that accumulated while your hair was braided up (I use to use this Just for Me 2-in-1 Conditioning Detangler, good stuff). This will prevent your hair from matting up when the water hits it. Take your time and detangle very carefully to prevent any unnecessary breakage. You should be able to retain almost all of the hair you grew while your hair is protected. Sew-in's are an awesome protective style if it's done right. Good luck!

HautePinkHeels

I'm like WhippedButterCreme. I'm gonna install a sew-in in February; I've been searching for the right hair for the past week or so. I might end up buying some from wagmanhair.com instead of getting the BSS hair so that the hair can last for 2 - 3 installs.

Anyway, my friend who does sew-ins often said that she takes a nozzle-tip bottle, mixes water and moisturizer/conditioner/shampoo/whatever she needs in that and squirts it in her hair so she can take care of it, and her hair is flourishing. We started the natural journey around the same time (she just bc'd before I did) and she's about APL now if not already there.

Blue_Berry

You can dilute your shampoo and conditioners by adding it to an applicator bottle or spray bottle to clean your hair. I use to dilute my shampoo, but I'm starting to love Keracare Weave line. It doesn't leave any residue behind like my regular shampoo and conditioners. The shampoo and conditioner is very diluted, it feels great on my scalp, and it sulfate free. Better Braids is a good line too. http://www.avlon.com/keracareweave.html http://www.keystone-labs.com/betterbraids.html It good to set under a hooded hair dryer when you done washing. Also, there are good moisturizers and oils that come in a spray bottle or applicator. (Like: Taliah Waajid Protective Mists, S-curl, Wild Hair Growth Oil and etc) Just find what works for you.

Last edited:
So...There's your hair, the net and then the weave...so when you rinse, condition and all that jazz, you apply onto the weave hair...and it will seep through to your hair?

HautePinkHeels I'm gonna have to look at that site now. I went on amazon.com to look at remy hair (my stylist recommended it) But I don't even know how long the lengths will be. I'm 5'5 and I was looking at the 14' which people say will be bsl, which is give or take my current length...Hmm...

naturalmanenyc

What exactly is a sew in wig?

Did you mean a weave, like with tracks of hair so you can get to braids underneath?

Or do you mean you had a wig sew on, like a lace wig?

virtuenow

So...There's your hair, the net and then the weave...so when you rinse, condition and all that jazz, you apply onto the weave hair...and it will seep through to your hair?

@HautePinkHeels I'm gonna have to look at that site now. I went on amazon.com to look at remy hair (my stylist recommended it) But I don't even know how long the lengths will be. I'm 5'5 and I was looking at the 14' which people say will be bsl, which is give or take my current length...Hmm...
With an applicator bottle (long nozzle), you apply the products directly to your real hair underneath the wig/weave and net. The skinny nozzle will reach your hair and scalp, where it is most important. OP, you should continue to wash (your scalp) and condition/moisturize your hair weekly.

HautePinkHeels

HautePinkHeels I'm gonna have to look at that site now. I went on amazon.com to look at remy hair (my stylist recommended it) But I don't even know how long the lengths will be. I'm 5'5 and I was looking at the 14' which people say will be bsl, which is give or take my current length...Hmm...

WhippedButterCreme LoL I'm pretty dramatic, so I'm going for a bundle of 18" and a bundle of 14" for a layered look.

I'm really tall too so 18" won't look as long on me.

SuchaLady

I have a sew in now. I have only had it for one week but I will probably be washing next week with diluted Silk Elements conditioner. I moisturize with Africa's Best Braid Spray and it is WET. I really think I can get by with only doing that once a week. I did it yesterday and it was like a mini wash session. I had to let my hair dry literally. I was thinking about S-Curl but idk. My only thing with spraying moisturizer is that my tracks get soaking wet as well. :ohwell: I am hoping for amazing results when I take it out.

WhippedButterCreme LoL I'm pretty dramatic, so I'm going for a bundle of 18" and a bundle of 14" for a layered look.

I'm really tall too so 18" won't look as long on me.

:lol: Lol! I'm not too dramatic, but never having a weave before has made me high-strung. :lol:

Wow you're nice and tall! :yep: I just saw a hair-chart somewhere that would show were the 10', 12', 14' and 16' hair would fall on a person :yep: 14' would be bsl on me and 16' is a full midback. :yep: When will you get your install done? :yawn:

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
I sprayed my hair while braided and had a matted mess. Not everybody hair can take water substance sitting in their hair like that so be careful. You don't want any set backs. :(

Sent from a land where women rule.....

D.Lisha

Bumping this thread for more input....

I'm considering getting a full sew-in sometime soon.
My question is, would it be SAFE for me to apply a sulfur mix to my scalp at least 2-3x's a week?

Also, when washing the hair.....how am I to wash my hair AND the tracks without destroying the actual tracks?

Finally,would you recommend doing a protein treatment before the install, or after? (I was actually thinking doing one before AND after the install lol)

Rastafarai

My question is, would it be SAFE for me to apply a sulfur mix to my scalp at least 2-3x's a week?

Also, when washing the hair.....how am I to wash my hair AND the tracks without destroying the actual tracks?

Finally,would you recommend doing a protein treatment before the install, or after? (I was actually thinking doing one before AND after the install lol)

I've had my sew-in weave for about 6 weeks now and haven't had any problems washing my scalp without destroying the tracks. Tracks that are well sealed shouldn't cause you any problems when washed. To take an extra precautionary step you can buy a weft sealer and seal your wefts/tracks. I use and love HairExtensions101's weft sealer. It cures instantly.

Applying a sulfur mix to your scalp shouldn't be a problem but it may require regular washing due to build-up residue. Just make to wash your scalp regularly.

I did my protein treatment before I put my weave in and plan to do one after its taken out. Doing a treatment before and after is a great idea.

HTH!

CJ22

See that is the thing! I don't wash my hair AT ALL if I'm wearing a sew-in wig or tracks. I've learned my lesson from that. So I would wear my sew-in wig for a month and spray my hair and dig my little fingers in there and massage my scalp. For tracks ...I just spray my hair ...call my crazy but I'll wear my tracks for 3 months w/o washing it but I'll apply leave in conditioner to my hair and scalp. It get less matted if I don't wash it while I have tracks.