Honey- Why?

dstdiva

..is it good for your hair? i tried the hot olive oil/honey pre-treatment last night and my hair is great. i understand the oil part, but what exactly did the honey do?

Honey is a humectant that allows the hair two retain the moisture provided by the olive oil. But a humectant like honey only works when the hair is wet.

Tracy

Ohhh - so, is there no benefit to the honey once the hair has been dried and stlyed then? I thought ti worked kind of like a conditioner - that the benefits last a few days at least....

No?

I was always curious about using honey on the hair - but I never could figure how folks get it out! :O

thanks for the info. i didn't know that honey is a humectant. the instructions said to use it on dry hair. so, i did it wrong? i will copy the recipe (from the recipe board) below:

*Hot Oil Hair Treatment
# Of Applications: 1
Prep/Application Time: 0:25
2 Tables. Olive oil
1 Tables. Honey
-Combine oil and honey in small plastic sandwich bag.
-Fill a coffee cup with water and heat until almost boiling.
-Dip sandwich bag in water just until oil is warmed.
-Apply warm oil to dry hair, working from scalp to tips.
-Cover your head with a shower cap and leave for 15 minutes.
-Wash hair as usual.
NOTES: While hair is conditioning, hop in the shower or bath. The warmer the oil stays, the better it works!

[ QUOTE ]
thanks for the info. i didn't know that honey is a humectant. the instructions said to use it on dry hair. so, i did it wrong? i will copy the recipe (from the recipe board) below:

*Hot Oil Hair Treatment
# Of Applications: 1
Prep/Application Time: 0:25
2 Tables. Olive oil
1 Tables. Honey
-Combine oil and honey in small plastic sandwich bag.
-Fill a coffee cup with water and heat until almost boiling.
-Dip sandwich bag in water just until oil is warmed.
-Apply warm oil to dry hair, working from scalp to tips.
-Cover your head with a shower cap and leave for 15 minutes.
-Wash hair as usual.
NOTES: While hair is conditioning, hop in the shower or bath. The warmer the oil stays, the better it works!

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sure that you can use it dry, but a humectant works best when moisture is present. See this defintiton and this other link for why.

Definiton of humectant
http://www.bartleby.com/61/10/H0321000.html

Another definition
http://www.totalskincare.com/library/totalskincare_h_humectant.html

So as you can see in order to retain moisture, there must be some to start with. Hope this helps.

Tracy

I ask this very same question a few weeks back. Someone attached an excellent link explaining honey's benefits.

I'd have to do a search for it again.

I'm definitely planning to try this soon.

Oh Lawdie just don't do what I did and add too much honey!!
shocked.gif
Can you say HARD, STICKY hair!!??
blush.gif
I guess I got a little carried away with the honey.
laugh.gif
In this instance.... more ain't eeeeven better!
laugh.gif

I was the one who posted the recipe and that I use it..I love it BTW..

The honey washes out very well with a good shampoo..I've never used it before a condition wash, so I don't know how that works..

You really have to be cautious about the amount of honey you use because it can overpower the olive oil..

The hair may be a little sticky after applying the hot oil treatment, but I haven't found it to be a problem getting it out of my hair and I really like the effects of it..

yep. it was the same honey i (try to) use in my tea. since it's jsut pre-treatment, i would assume that it would work on both natural and relaxed hair...just like a regular hot oil treatment.

I used honey in a leave in and it worked great...left my hair (kitchen hair) very soft for the whole day

A tbsp of honey per every 2 tbsp of olive oil..Or if you use those application measuring bottles with the red caps like I do, for every 1 oz of olive oil, I put 1.5 tbsp of olive oil..This always work for me..

Also, you have to mix it up carefully to make sure that it is stirred up and uniform mixture throughout. I found that this works best for me.

Just wanted to add that...

I have used honey before in my moisturizing conditioner. It suppose to also help w/ giving shine to your hair...

I love honey in my hot oil pre-shampoo treatments! I wouldn't have it any other way. I can't explain, but I just don't get the same results when I use just plain hot oil.

BRH, Tracy, Allandra...if you guys try it, please post your results. I would LOVE to hear what you guys think about it!
notworthy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
BRH, Tracy, Allandra...if you guys try it, please post your results. I would LOVE to hear what you guys think about it!

[/ QUOTE ]
Will do. I just don't know when yet.

I am going to try it now that I've been fully apprised by all the lovelies here...
grin.gif

I'll def. let you know what I think when I do.
smile.gif

I didn't have stellar results when I first used honey but,the next few times were really good. Using honey has some good points.
1. It moisturizes
2. It gives a degree of shine
3. It makes hair even softer.

I tried honey + olive oil last night and I must say that my hair turned out great. I heated my honey in warm water on the stove and then added oil. I kept it in my hair for about 30 minutes or less. I rinsed out and followed up with aSuave coconut conditioning wash. I followd up by spraying my hair with a premade mixture of s-curl no drip + olive oil+ jojoba oil+ grapeseed oil + 911 leave-in conditioner. Then I rollerset. As I rollerset each section of hair I applied a minimal amount of Nature's blessings pomade. I went to bed and woke up with wonderfully soft, sweet smelling, moist, curly hair. It's unfair to attribute the results to honey alone but I know that it played a big part!

I have nothing negative to say about honey. It's for keeps. BTW, I use 100% pure honey.

Back