Honestly ladies, what should I do?

Dionne

I really want some long hair and I have been working at it for soooo long. I still remember when we were at longhairlovers. I just think I am wasting my time because I am not getting any where. My underprocessed hair is really becoming a problem. No matter how much conditioner I use I still have breakage problems and I am gaining length at a snails pace. I am just tired of fighing it. My hair is about 6 inches long in places but my roots are properly relaxed and my ends are too. But the 5 inches in between are underprocessed so my hair always looks either limp and lifeless or like a big bushg with straight ends. I have just started a super beefed upo vitamin regime and I don't want my growth rate to improve and not be able to reap the benefits because of my messed up hair. Should I gradually start cutting it so I can kinda stay at the same length or should I cut off atleast 3 inches and let it grow out. I am at a lost. Please help, any comments and ideas will help.

LisaG

Hi and welcome to the board. How long have you been trying to grow your hair? What other things do you do to hair? Just condition? How often? Do you take vits? If so which ones? Do moisturize daily? Do you use a satin scarf at night before you go to sleep? Do you do hot oil treatments? Do you give yourself protein treatments to stop the breakage? How about deep conditioning? Do you drink 60 or more ounces of water a day? What are the products that you use? Is your hair relaxed if so lye or no-lye? What is name of your leave in? Whew!
When I got here I had Nothing. Nothing. My hair is not as long as the more experienced members but I have faith and most important patience. My hair has never felt better-- never. It is not breaking at all not at and it feels like it is not going to break either. I do something loving to my hair everyday. I would try and hold on to my hair. Maybe I'm wrong in saying that but, I'm feeling you about wanting length. I had to cut my hair off because I did not know what to do with it before i got here. If you could restore it great. Get all the info you can before cutting
It will grow!!

beana3

hmmm.. i can relate. don't give up, I'm constantly thinking of just weaving this hair up, but then i always opt to leave in "out" so i can deep condition it and "care" for it.
My roots have finally been properly processed, the motions mild (NOT the oil version) came through for me. I have like two inches of hair in the middle of my strands that are still underprocessed. I've decided to leave it alone and hopefully it will get str8er overtime due to me rinsing out the relaxer and having it pass through that area. If you feel its holding you back big time, next touch-up i would run my relaxer though it and let it sit for 5-10 mins so that you achieve the proper straightness.
You must deep condition your hair religiously. I'm confident that your hair will surprise you and u'll experience a growth spurt. Your hair will thank you for the care you give it, believe me.
Take your vits, and stay consistent. Try not to stess over your hair (i know its hard b/c u belong to a site devoted to hair obsession!) I'm back on my c/o wash and twist out routine, this allows me to condit and air dry w/o styling stress. I'm on week #2 and will continue this for another 6-8 weeks (next scheduled touch-up). maybe you could try something similiar that does not require your hair to be perfectly straight but will give you a nice style. stick with it, i dont think you need to cut your hair HTh

Nova

Dionne:

*** PLEASE SEE MY POST FOR:

Possible Solution for Weak & Breaking Hair!

Maybe this will help.

carrie

Dionne -

I hear you. I feel the same way. Just keep hanging in there. I feel I will never have truly long hair. Right now I am just striving for healthy hair. Hopefully length will come.

Country gal

Dioone,

Honey, I have felt the way you do on several occasions. Just keep the faith that your hair will grow long. Some people have always had long hair. Some people have fast hair growth while others hair grows at a snails pace. I feel like my hair is taking forever to grow as well. But I try to be patient and enjoy how healthy and soft my hair feels. I get lots of compliments on my hair even though it only touches the end of my neck. One of the other ladies had some good questions for you to consider. Good hair (Managable hair) requires alot of TLC. Embrace and love your hair.

honeycomb719

I feel your pain Dionne. But, try to remain patient. Your story sounds identical to mine and I've learned that remaining devoted and being patient will reap many rewards. As for cutting your hair, don't do anything drastic. I would sugest keeping your ends trimmed and even and slowly your hair will start to even up. That's what I have been doing, and my hair is starting to even-up some. My front and sides are about an half inch from being even to each other. But, that wasn't the case when I first joined this site. Remember your hair is growing, it might grow slow but, it's growing. It's holding on to what grows in that's the hard part. Products that has helped me w/ breakage mainly is ApHOGEE treatments for damaged hair. I use Breakfree by Profectiv when I use the blowdryer. I've noticed lately that airdrying was causing most of my shedding. But, that's just my case. Watch your hair closely and you will learn what your hair likes. Adrienne was so right about the curl activator. I use RightOn moisturizing spray, works wonders too.
I'm still in the learning proces of my hair, so my comments aren't guidelines to sware by.
HTH

H

HoneyRockette

Having just cut off 17 inches of damaged hair, I too can relate. I think it is best to just cut the damage off and start fresh. It is only holding you back. Because you have what you consider to be a solid vitamin regimen, the loss of the damaged hair shouldn't matter as much. The hair that will soon replace it will be stronger, thicker, healthier and longer.