History of Heatless Hair Straightening Devices

virtuenow

History of Heatless Hair Straightening devices:

With all the recent buzz, I decided to do a little research on the history of heatless straighteners. I found interesting information on people who have previously created & patented devices. Check it out!

1) E. Roth Device For Straightening Hair (1949):

Description :

Filed Aug. 19, 1949. Patented Qct. 17, 1950.

Inventor:
Elsie Roth

This invention relates to new and useful improvements in a device for straightening hair and has reference particularly to the straightening of kinky or curly hair.

An object of this invention is to provide such a device having a new and simplified construction enabling the user to apply the device in hair straightening position with the minimum degree of effort. 7

Another and equally important object of the invention is the provision of such a device having a construction by which the kinky or curly hair may in part or in whole be straightened, or a portion of the hair straightened with the remaining portion formed into a curl.

Yet another and equally important object of the invention is the provision of a simplified and improved means for effectively clamping that part of the hair to be straightened, upon a bed plate where the hair will be firmly held upon such plate during the straightening process.

Another object of the invention is to provide a hair straightening device comprising a bed plate upon which the kinky hair to be straightened is mounted and held in such mounted position while a hair treating solution is applied thereto, the bed plate being relatively flat, thereby greatly facilitating the application of this hair treating solution. 1

It had a curler on the end:

When the device is in applied position, the clamping plate 20 may be positioned in clamping engagement with the hair at the extreme outer end of the plate It, or the clamping plate 28 may be disposed inwardly of the outer ends of .the hair to leave such outer ends unaffected by the straightening device. Again, where it is desired to curl the outer ends of the hair while straightening the remaining upper portions thereof, the clamping plate 29 is positioned with the curler rod 25 in clamping engagement with the hair upon the bed plate ID, as shown in Fig. 3. In this position of the curler rod 25, the ends of the hair may be arranged in the slit 29 formed in the curler rod 25 and wound there around, so that when the straightening operation is completed the ends only of the length of straightened hair will be substantially curled.

From the description herein set forth, it is apparent that my improved hair straightening device employs no heat unit in the hair straightening operation, the hair straightening operation being accomplished by stretching the hair upon the bed plate and firmly holding the hair in this stretched position on such bed plate by the clamping structure hereinbefore described. This device remains in applied position upon the head for such period of time as it is deemed necessary to remove the kinks and curls from the hair. Either before or after or during this hair stretching operation, a hair treating solution may be applied to the hair.

10z4y0o.jpg

Last edited:
2) Hair Straightening Clamp, (1967):

Description:

Filed Apr. 5, 1966. Patented Mar. 7, 1967. Franco Bulbarelli, Via Bullona 22, and Onofrio Mastrorilli, 40 Via Principe Eugenio, both of Milan, Italy United States Patent Ofifice 207,146.

Term of patent 14 years.

Inventors Franco Bulbarelli

PAGE 2 FIG. 1 is an end elevational view of a hair straightening clamp showing our new design;
FIG. 2 is a top plan view thereof;
FIG. 3 is a front elevational view;
FIG. 4 is a bottom plan view;
FIG, 5 is a rear elevational view;
FIG. 6 is an outside plan view thereof in an opened fiat position with the clamping elements removed; and
FIG. 7 is a plan view of the side opposite that shown in FIG. 6.

35b7ehz.jpg

xbxt81.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting ... seems like the CWK plates are like these 2 inventions combined along with the venting holes for faster air-drying :yep:

thanks, that looks like the CWK plates:perplexed.

I know, but I don't think that's a bad thing. I think its awesome that someone is finally getting this idea off the ground. Its an old idea that apparently never took off. Maybe someone never got the funding to produce it.

I know, but I don't think that's a bad thing. I think its awesome that someone is finally getting this idea off the ground. Its an old idea that apparently never took off. Maybe someone never got the funding to produce it.

you are right, I want to donate but the fact that she is not addressing some issues really holding me back. Well i have till tuesday to make up my mind as this will help me with my daughter thick and longhair.

Wow very interesting thanks for sharing. Goes to show, everything that's new is old. Hope the new version proves successful, but I'll wait till the drama dies down.

Here's another one from more recent days:

There are more similar inventions, I may post some more (who knows).

Heatless Hair Straightening Device (2003):
Method and device for straightening hair
Inventor: Martha Kelsey

Abstract

A non-electric hair straightening device having is disclosed.

BACKGROUND

[0003] Many people with varying degrees of curly hair have the desire to straighten their hair and/or remove curls. To straighten hair and/or remove curls, several devices and methods can and have been used including, but not limited to, using a flat iron, blow drying the hair using a brush or comb, and/or using chemical solutions. Each of the above mentioned methods and devices has, however, aspects that make it difficult and/or impractical to use.

[0004] The flat iron, for example, requires, among other things, a costly iron, electricity or an alternate power source to operate the iron. The iron is also heavy and cumbersome to use, which makes its use less than ideal. Similarly, using a blow-dryer to straighten the hair requires electricity and a costly blow-dryer, and it required the complete attention of the user. The chemical solutions are often toxic and can greatly damage the hair, which to a lesser extent also occurs with the other above-identified options.

SUMMARY OF THE INVENTION

[0005] There still remains a need for an improved method and device for straightening hair. In accordance with one aspect of the disclosure, a hair straightening device having a body and a fastener is disclosed. The body includes a first portion and a second portion having an inside and an outside, wherein the first portion and the second portion are pivotally connected by a seam that is adapted to allow for the inside of the first portion to abut the inside of the second portion. The body further includes a plurality of bristles that are located on at least one of the insides of the first and the second portion. A fastener is adapted to secure the first and second portions together with hair entrapped between.

Eta: I guess it was made w/Velcro:

7. The hair straightening device of claim 1, wherein the a first part of the fastener is a first part of a VELCRO® material comprising the bristles on the first portion, and a second part of the fastener is a second part of the VELCRO® material disposed near the second side of the second portion.

Attachments

• Hairstraightening device 2003.jpg
    Hairstraightening device 2003.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 90
  • Hairstraightening device 2003 2.jpg
    Hairstraightening device 2003 2.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
This is interesting!

I wonder why none of those were never actually developed.

Yeah, it could have saved us from years of burnt ears, burned off hair, chemical burns & relaxer breakage. Well, at least they tried, ya'll. They did their part to try and protect us from decades of hair abuse! I wonder what happened also. I imagine the first person probably could not find funding to re-produce the item in 1949-- and then they gave up. The second person was from Italy, and appears to be a group effort-- probably a company. That inventor is listed as a millionaire (shipping tycoon) in Italy in the 90's.

Last edited:
Wow! That's something else! You know what they say about old and new.
Speaking of the CWK plates, did any of y'all order any?

I've seen the velcro one around years ago. I think Goody adapted it, but it's now discontinued. I know because I tried forever to find them.

Found them:
http://www.amazon.com/Goody-Straight-4pcs-82834-Pack/dp/B003BL79TU/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

Thats funny, never heard of it until now. I definitely would not try something w/velcro on my hair...So I see why HanaKuroi never used the plates (smart move)...This is also probably why Goody's product never became popular.

Back