Hi...I finally subscribed + 1 year progress

Jrsmith

Hi, all! After years of lurking I finally decided to subscribe. I first discovered this site back in 2007 during my senior year of college. During that time period I was interested in protective styles so I got a sew in weave in June 07 for my college graduation. My weave obsession continued for two years. I would literally go to the shop and my beautician would take down my weave, relax my whole head, and re-install all on the same day. You obviously know which direction this story is going. After 2 years of weave addiction, I decided to take my hair down and find another style. Needless to say, I was in tears the day I left the shop with my "real hair." My hair looked worse than it did when I started my weave journey. All my beautician could say was "maybe you should stay away from the weave for a while if you want your hair to grow." Unfortunately, this was the same woman who encouraged me years back to get a weave to grow my hair.
After that experience, I vowed never to return to that beautician again. From June 09-Sept 09 I took my hair care into my own hands. I co-washed on a weekly basis, blow dried on cool, and refused to use the flat iron. From Sept 09 until now, I have been wearing kinky twist extensions in my hair. I go to a new beautician now and let her flat iron and press one time in December, April, and June while I let my hair rest for a couple of weeks. My hair is doing a lot better with this routine.
In addition, as of December 2009 I have decided to go natural without the big chop. I hope to make APL by December/April.

Below are my progress pictures:
-The first one was June 09. It was taken right after I came home from the beauty salon...yes that's how horrible I looked leaving the shop (smh).
-The picture dated December 09 was the day of my last relaxer
-June 10 was my last official length check....It doesn't look much longer than it did in December but it's more full .

Please let me know if you think I can make APL by december :)

***I think the picture gets larger if you click on it**

Attachments

• Slide1.JPG
    Slide1.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 360
wow, what a difference a year makes. your hair looks a million times thicker and healthier. i cant believe this so-called beautician would encourage you to get a weave and relax all on the same day for TWO years straight. You actually can grow your hair out with weave much in the way you seem to be doing it now with braids. Congrats on the progress

Your hair looks so beautiful and much healthier, fuller and thicker. Good job and keep up the good work! If you get 1/2 - 1 inch a month, where would that put you with a back length check? I think you will get there early next year in FEb-Mar or so. Good luck and HHJ!

Welcome to the board! Your hair is much fuller, congrats on your progress and finding something that works for you.

Your hair definitely looks thicker and healthier, congratulations and good luck on your healthy hair journey.

Welcome aboard the sista's train! Happy to see that you have decided to take yr HHJ into yr own hands. Yr hair is definitely thicker and healthier than the previous shots! Now that's progression!

Keep up the good work, it is paying off.....

Welcome and congratulations! Your hair looks very healthy and thick. Alot of beauticians constantly give bad information due to lack of knowledge and education but we have to remember they are just stylist, thier purpose is to only style the hair not care for it and make money, and many of us have learned that hard way myself included. I wish you the best of luck and i hope that you will make apl soon.

Welcome to the board. Your hair is noticeably more healthy and thicker, it looks lovely so well done, so just keep doing what you're doing. :yep:

As for APL it's difficult to tell, could you possibly do a pic of your hair at the back, then we could give a rough estimate of how much further (in inches) you have to go.

Congratulations, Jrsmith and :welcome:!

Your hair looks beautiful now that you've taken matters into your own hands. :yep: I'm sure you'll be reaching APL in no time.

I'm so sorry that stylist put you through such an ordeal :nono: Things like that is why I haven't been to one in over 2 years. Congrats on the progress! Your hair looks so full and healthy now! :yep:

:welcome: your hair looks much better now that you're doing it and I definitely see a difference in the lengths of the last two pictures:yep:. Congrats and hhg!

Welcome to the board! Girl, you did an amazing job, your hair has done a 180... Looks like you grew another head of hair in a year (thickness and length). Congrats!!!

Welcome! You've joined the best hair board on the net! Your stylist should be paying you - you improved your hair 100%!!

Enjoy your journey!!!

wow! your hair looks 100% better, its thick, the ends look healthy, its got nice length and it looks to be full of body! i think you can definitely make APL by the end of the year!

Thank you ladies for all the warm welcomes :) Im so happy to finally be apart of the wonderful things going on on this forum...

Last edited:
Back