Hey Natural Sistas...what is your regimen?

bless57

Hey Naturals,

I have been natural since 2005. In 2005 I transitions with braids, well in 2010 I moved into a new home and they had hard water. Let's just say disaster. After working my way back to natural healthy hair and 6 months later left nice new growth but bad hair shaft. so after contemplating I did a bc that's right a bc. I cut all the old hair shaft and stayed with 6 months new growth. Well now that I bc I am not sure what regimens style to do. How about we share with one another each others regimens to help other new bcer's.

My current regimen is

Co-Wash 2x week
Deep condition with steamer or with plastic cap
Daily moisture 3x week (which should be more)
two strand twist (nothing seems to work)
Henna once a month

Please share your regimen
How you stretch
and how you deal with extreme shrinkage and tight tight dense hair

My reggie as follows: I do this every two weeks

I wash w/ any shampoo I have (ors creamy aloe, elasta qp creme condioning shampoo, shescenit ecaluptus mint or even hairveda amala cream rinse...doesn't really matter to me)

Condition w/ either aohsr and ahgpb mixed w/ honey, honeyquat (trying to find a purpose for it) silk amino acid (trying to put both a protein and moisturizing conditioners together..I'm lazy:lachen: and it has been working so far.) And leave it for 1-2 hours w/ heat first then w/o heat. My conditioning process changes every couple months.

I have been airdrying mostly and using the blowdryer only when I don't have time to airdry. When I do air dry, I apply aohc and ohhb and little olive oil twist and bantu knots to stretch my hair. After its dry, I braid my hair and put a wig on. During the course of the week, I will apply brbc on my braids.

This is pretty much it. I don't like manipulating my hair much.

my reggie is pretty basic.
wash and Dc once a week. I use sulfates and cones, all that "bad" stuff. long as it has slip, provides moisture, and smells good, it's alrite with me!
i usually braid n curl, rollerset, flexirod set, blowout, or flatiron.
I have to sit under the dryer. airdrying will take like a day and a half.
during the week, i "pineapple" (pile all my hair on top) if it's a curly style, or use like 4 flexirods, or wrap if it's straight.
i swipe a bit of serum on my ends for shine or if they feel dry. i don't really moisturize much. :look:
i trim regularly, about every 12 weeks.

I am speaking to rocky91 and ms. blue what styles and regimen did you do in your twa stages? Also do you henna to loosen your curl?

I usually wash weekly

I do a oil treatment/scalp massage the night before my wash
water rinse
mud wash
DC with steam
apply leave-in, oil mix
2 strand twist with gel; i usually twist on wet hair but sometimes i let it air dry

I'm currently trying out moisturizing my hair nightly with AVG and sealing my ends with shea butter.
I apply an oil mix to my scalp several times a week as needed.

current reggie

weekly

wash with HV shikaki cocasta bar (is that the name?)
steam with moisture DC - BFH conditioners or HV sitrinillah
single strand twist with AOHC or BRBC or shea moisture mask mixture (mask with AVJ)

alternating weeks
DC protein (steam)
henna/ayurveda paste

I moisturize with Oyin hair dew and seal with ceraminde oil as needed

DAILY
-spritz hair with water or let hair get damp in the shower
-moisturize in the morning with QB AOHC+HBTSG, Oyin Hair Dew, or Curl Junkie Beauticurls leave-in
-seal with castor oil
-sometimes I'll moisturize and seal in the evening but I don't always need to.

WEEKLY
-pre poo with coconut oil or honey+olive oil with heating cap
-wash with terressentials mud wash or deity america plant poo
-deep condition with curl junkie curl rehab (*currently testing out some new DC's*). Sometimes I'll add honey to my DC. I use my heat cap most of the time.
**sometimes, I do wash my hair twice a week and I do all of these steps every time I wash my hair**

STYLING
-I mostly wear twists. On days I am retwisting or putting twists in my hair, I detangle with QB CTDG before I wash my hair.
-After washing and DC'ing, my go to styling products are always Qhemet Biologics AOHC and HBTSG. Sometimes I use the AHTB, but I don't really need it.
-I try to wear my twists for almost 2 weeks at a time before I redo them. Doesn't always happen that way though.
-After wearing twists for a while, or just long enough to set my hair, I may do a twist out/afro for a few days. No longer than a week if I can help it. I rarely do twist outs/afros, especially when it starts to get cold.
-I maintain my twist out/afro by banding.

MAINTENANCE
-I don't trim. I search and destroy. I'm more concerned with prevention of splits and knots.
-I don't use cones, sulfates, or petrolatum products.
-I don't use heat to style my hair
-My regimen is all about moisture. I don't do protein treatments.

cowash daily
finger detangle daily
daily wash & go - leave in, styling product, air dry

i oil rinse maybe twice a week, use oil on naked hair or to seal my ends a few days a week, and oil my scalp daily

i shampoo once a week. usually sulfate free
i use a sulfate shampoo before i henna, which is about once a month but sometimes i go a lot longer

when i say cowash, i mean that i put conditioner in for a few minutes and then rinse it out. i don't really think i'm cleaning my hair
i use deep conditioners for this. they all contain some protein

i don't deep condition, meaning leaving it in for a long time or using heat. i don't need to

i use products with and without cones, mineral oil, and sulfates. i used to avoid them but i don't see any harm in using them in moderation

i do not use heat or combs and brushes!

bless57, I wore braids and weaves back to back. I went from 1-3" to full shoulder length hair, I couldn't deal w/ a twa since my bc was not planned at all.

My regimen is :

1x week wash with vitamin shampoo
1-2x DC with ORS Replenishing or Dark and lovely ultra cholesterol
Moisturise daily with castor oil (i have been slipping on this)
Co-wash daily with Tresemme Naturals

Styling: Wash n go's mostly , and the occasional puff or two strand twists

Once a week: I saturate with aloe juice (or aloe + Aubrey GPB) for 10 minutes, wash with Giovanni 50:50, oil rinse finger detangle and style. My leave in is Giovanni 50:50 + Aloe juice + Castor oil mix, I keep a plastic cap on and then remove it and air dry or wrap with a t-shirt and sleep.

Daily before bed:wet and apply oil or whipped butter or leave in or flax gel.

Braidouts and braidouts in a bun 100% of the time and I always sleep with my hair up. The longer my hair gets, the less braids I need. Search and destroy when needed.

Last edited:
My regime has changed a lot since I first BC, but the basics has stayed the same:

-Shampoo 1x a week with CV shampoo bar
-Deep condition after every shampoo with either moisture/protein depending on hairs' needs
-Co-wash (when needed)
Moisture once a day (I really don't do this anymore since I have better products that keeps my hair moisturized for days)
-Style my hair to how I desire: twist for no more than 7 to 8 days at a time, wash and go, puff, braid-outs, twist-outs, experimental styles

- My weekly regimen:
1. Put dry hair into four sections twistsed
2. Wet each section
3. Deep condition overnight with AOHSR/EVOO in four huge twists
4. Rinse and Cowash
5. Rinse and apply Giovanni leave-in/EVOO
6. Airdry into a protective style via curlformers or bun

Clarify:
I clarify every six weeks using Aubrey Organics Green Tea Shampoo. DC using Aubrey Organics Glycogen Protein Balance Conditioner for one hour. Then followup with Aubrey Organics Honey Suckle Rose mixed with EVOO overnight. Cowash, then moisturize with Giovanni Direct Leave-in mixed with EVOO

- Dandruff treatment recipe:
2 tbsp Tea tree oil
2 tbsp Peppermint oil
2 tbsp EVOO
Apply to scalp before styling

My regimen is very similar to yours, so I'll just share how I stretch.

While my hair is wet, I add the cream/leave-in/moisturizing treatment of choice and part into four sections. I braid each section and allow it to dry fully (usually a day or day and a half).

When I release the braids, it's soft, easy to comb and style. Usually, the first day I release I'll wear the braid out. There have been times that I've blown out the sections and then just put my hair in french braids or a bun, but I don't make a habit of that.

My regimen changes with the seasons/months but it's basically this:

Washing/Conditioning
1. Cowash 2x a week
2. Oil rinse at least once a week (usually when I cowash)
3. Shampoo every other week on average (in sections)
4. Deep condition weekly

Treatments
5. Henna every 2-4 weeks
6. Protein once a month
(always follow with a deep conditioning treatment when I use henna and protein)

Daily Maintenance
7. Moisturize and seal daily
8. Protective styles most of the time
9. Keep hair stretched to prevent knots and severe tangles
10. I stretch either with flat twists or banding.
11. No heat

Typically, I do the following:

-Prepoo/detangle with AO GPB or Tresseme Naturals Nourishing Moisture Conditioner or Tigi Bedhead Moisture Maniac

-Shampoo w/ Earthly Delight Herbal shampoo or, if I need to clarify, Kenra Clarifying Shampoo or V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze Clarifying Shampoo

-Condition with AOWC

-Pour a mixture of water and Roux Porosity Control over my head

-Choose a styling product and twist

WOW Ladies, thanks for all of your responses. I am really trying to find ways to stretch my twa. it is so short when I wash that it shrivels up sooooo muucchhhh. I heard that shea butter is really good in helping stretching and loosening the curl....have you ladies heard of this?

bless57

i'm a weekly washer.

i prepoo with a mix of condish, oil and food grade aloe vera gel

shampoo with giovanni 50/50 or creme of nature moisture & shine shampoo with argan oil ( while in 5-7 plaits)

condition with aubrey organics honeysuckle rose, gbp, white camellia or j.a.y wring water out of my hair with my hands and detangle in sections with a wide tooth shower comb using oyin hair dew ( have also used komaza shea lotion and coconut curl lotion, i plan on trying darcy's botanicals leave-in when i finish this bottle)

i apply fantasia ic gel with sparkle-lites ( mixed with a bit of oil usually evco)to sections of my hair and twist ( 15-20 individual twists) and put perm rods on the ends.

i sit under the dryer about an hour or so so i don't go to bed on soaking wet hair.

i untwist in the am and put a touch of oil on for shine. twistouts are my staple style.

every night i just stuff it under my bonnet and fluff in the am, i don't retwist and this lasts me 5-7 days before my next wash.

i do a hardcore protein treatment about every 4-6 weeks komaza's protein strengthener is my fave but if i don't get around to ordering it i use aphogee. i follow with aubrey's conditioner but don't feel the need to sit under the dryer. i see a difference in curl definition, softness, manageability, and less frizz when i do this.

i get dustings about every 6 months or so by my stylist and this is when she flatirons me as well so its also like a length check for me too.

i don't deep condition, moisturize/seal, or check my porosity. the fact that i don't use direct heat probably eliminates the need for these.

Weekly wash routine
finger detangle dry hair
prepoo with evoo and an essential oil
poo with some type of tea tree shampoo on hand or everyday Shea for moisture
condition with hsr, gpb, bfh Shea almond or vo5 strengthening when being cheap
detangle with conditioner in leave in about 30mins or 1 he
rinse and finger detangle
I do that 1-2x week

then I do my
Moist and Seal routine
spray rosewater to moisturize or hs 14 in 1
add infusium 23 if I need strength evoo if I need lubrication
seal with whipped Shea butter or dax
I do this 1-3x week

Last edited:
*I pre-poo with a spritz of aloevera juice and spread EVOO over 6/8 pre- sectioned twists or braids and dry/damp finger detangle before I wash my very fine, high porosity, medium density strands.

* I wash once every 2 weeks with CON shampoo(old formula)/elastaQP cream conditioning shampoo. Every 4/6weeks I wash with ORS aloe shampoo as I live in a very hard water area.

*I alternate every wash day between mane and tail original conditioner (light protein) and CON nourishing conditioner (moisture). I finger detangle add a leave-in and seal with a combo of either a shea butter mix or a mixture of hemp seed/castor and grape seed oil (ceramides) Depends on the season really.

*I always wear protective styles of some sort be it braids with extensions, twists,flattwist, buns or canerows. HTH

Last edited:
-Wash, protein tx and moisturizing DC weekly
-PS/Low Mani 95-99%
-M&S 1-2 times per day with moisturizing spray mix of condish + water + oil, seal with EVOO or (lately) safflower oil.
--Summer spray mix is more water
--Winter spray mix is less water
-Cover with satin skull cap or satin/silk scarf at night and when coolin' out around the house.

Warm weather:
-Keep in mini braids for daily rinsing or cowashing; M&S at night
-"Out" styles 3-4 days out of the month or for holidays/special occasions.
-Braid/twist extensions for 3-4 weeks

Cool weather:
-Cornrows covered w/satin skull cap and wig/headwrap; M&S twice per day
-Braidouts on Friday and Saturday date nights (and holidays when not in extensions)
-Rebraid for the week and then wash, protein and DC.
-Braid/twist extensions for 3-4 weeks

Curlykale,

do you think that banding with braids will work with twa hair for stretching? my hair is so so so so so so tight like it is 6 inches all around but when wet it is one inch and that is shrivelled bad but nice curl but extremely short. the curl is so pretty but you can not see it because it is sooooooo shrunken.

@Mzshift love love love love the afro, my gosh how do you make your afro? i love it...you must share. Even though I have twa I can still try LOL!!!

Back