Henna

SplashAtl

Has anyone ever used Henna from Whole Foods? The bottle says Rainbow Henna. I've never used Henna so wanted to try it. I just recently became allergic to regular hair color.

Is there any cautions or words of advice anyone can share before I try it? It says to add Apple Cider Vinegar to help the color stay on gray strands longer.

Any thoughts, advice, warnings, experiences would be helpful.

I'm using the color, Persian Black (Deep Ebony). My hair color is dark brown.

There are some ladies who have used it. I think its called Light Mountain or something like that, right? I haven't used it but I just want you to be aware that adding ACV can be drying to your hair in the end so be careful with it. The first time I henna'd with Jamila Henna I used ACV and even though my hair turned out strong and beautiful in color in the end, it sure was feeling like straw at the initial rinse. I felt like I had to over moisturize for 3 days straight.

I used to use Rainbow Henna and it was just okay. It was somewhat pricey and my biggest gripe was it was very "trashy" lots of bramble and branches which were very annoyning to rinse out. I would rinse and rinse and still have trash in my hair. :mad: If you can get henna from an Indian store the quality is much better and it's very inexpensive. HTH :)

Thank you! This is exactly what I needed. I think I'm going to return the Rainbow Henna to Whole Foods and get it from an Indian store.

I'm really worried about how it will color my gray hair. Most of my gray hair in in the front. If I use Black Henna will it cover my gray hair and make it black? I've read it could turn out yellow, red....

What is ACV?

Cayenne0622 said:
There are some ladies who have used it. I think its called Light Mountain or something like that, right? I haven't used it but I just want you to be aware that adding ACV can be drying to your hair in the end so be careful with it. The first time I henna'd with Jamila Henna I used ACV and even though my hair turned out strong and beautiful in color in the end, it sure was feeling like straw at the initial rinse. I felt like I had to over moisturize for 3 days straight.

SplashAtl said:
What is ACV?

Apple Cider Vinegar. I stopped using it with my henna and my hair has loved my henna treatments. But I'm not an expert on the Light Mountain or the Rainbow so I'm not sure if its a necessary step for those brands.

SplashAtl said:
Thank you! This is exactly what I needed. I think I'm going to return the Rainbow Henna to Whole Foods and get it from an Indian store.

I'm really worried about how it will color my gray hair. Most of my gray hair in in the front. If I use Black Henna will it cover my gray hair and make it black? I've read it could turn out yellow, red....

Henna alone will turn gray hair red, when using henna & indigo together it will give it a deeper brownish red color. If you want it to go closer to black you could always do a 2 step process, henna, rinse, then indigo over it for black hair. Rainbow henna really did not color my hair it had no where near the conditioning/coloring properties of Indian henna.

I just saw this in Whole Foods today and thought about buying it but I am glad I didn't. I have seen Henna in an Indian store, the Dunlan brand, but I did not see any instructions on the box so I did not buy it. I am thinking about mixing my Henna with yogurt.

Thank you. What is indigo? Is it like Henna? can I buy it in an Indian store also?

Priestess said:
Henna alone will turn gray hair red, when using henna & indigo together it will give it a deeper brownish red color. If you want it to go closer to black you could always do a 2 step process, henna, rinse, then indigo over it for black hair. Rainbow henna really did not color my hair it had no where near the conditioning/coloring properties of Indian henna.

Thank you. Now I have to find an Indian Store in Atlanta or the surrounding cities.

Cayenne0622 said:
Apple Cider Vinegar. I stopped using it with my henna and my hair has loved my henna treatments. But I'm not an expert on the Light Mountain or the Rainbow so I'm not sure if its a necessary step for those brands.

cocopuff said:
I just saw this in Whole Foods today and thought about buying it but I am glad I didn't. I have seen Henna in an Indian store, the Dunlan brand, but I did not see any instructions on the box so I did not buy it. I am thinking about mixing my Henna with yogurt.

Please get the Dulhan, it's excellent and only $1.49 a box for 100 grams. :eek: Yogurt mixes really well with henna, good choice. :up:

SplashAtl said:
Thank you. What is indigo? Is it like Henna? can I buy it in an Indian store also?

Indigo is a plant that used in mixes with henna to produce brown to black tones. I have never seen it in my local Indian store. Most ladies here order on line. Check out this site for everything you ever wanted to know about henna, indigo and everything in between.

http://www.hennaforhair.com/

Priestess said:
Please get the Dulhan, it's excellent and only $1.49 a box for 100 grams. :eek: Yogurt mixes really well with henna, good choice. :up:

Is Dulhan a compound Henna brand or body art quality brand? I might have to use the body art qualtiy brand because I did use a semi-permanent hair color on my hair 6 months ago.

cocopuff said:
I use Dulhan Deluxe Heena Powder. This is a fast releasing henna. I mix mine with hot water, 2 tbl amla powder, and 2 tlb amla oil. I let is sit for 45 min to an hr. I add 2 tbl of condish and sit under the dryer for 1 hr.

I have a gray patch right in front:ohwell: And it is a deep rich red. This is a keeper at $1.99 for 3.5 oz!!!

That is nice,simple mix. I was just going to mix the Henna with Amla powder and lemon juice and maybe an egg and some conditioner. I was going to use yougurt but I just read on the mehandi website that you should not use yogurt or hot water in your mix. The hot water is supposed to dull the color and they do not reccommend yogurt.

Last edited:
cocopuff said:
Is Dulhan a compound Henna brand or body art quality brand? I might have to use the body art qualtiy brand because I did use a semi-permanent hair color on my hair 6 months ago.

Dulhan is BAQ.

Good, Thanks for the info. I think I will have to go to an Indian store this weekend and purchase some. From what I saw in the last Indian store I went to, it is much cheaper than the Henna in Whole Foods.

Back