Henna-ologists!!! Help Me Replicate My Mothers Rinse Color the Natural Way!

BlackMasterPiece

Okay so I've been wanting to transition my mom to natural color for the longest, she has reactions to permanent and rinse color and it causes her to have dandruff and minor rashes on her skin....I just KNOW henna is the right choice for her.

I attached pics from a few months ago when I MaxiGlided her freshly colored hair you can really see the auburns and dark browns. Can you guys help me formulate a Henna mix that can replicate this color on her greys?

Thanks so much my gorgeous Henna-ologists!!:grin:

Attachments

• Lisa's Pictures 203.jpg
    Lisa's Pictures 203.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 141
  • Lisa's Pictures 205.jpg
    Lisa's Pictures 205.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 121
  • Lisa's Pictures 206.jpg
    Lisa's Pictures 206.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 110
BMP: I just Henna'd yesterday. Everywhere my "Grey" was, it henna'd up to about that shade of "Red" as represented in your Mom's Pics. However, my 'grey' is concentrated in the front. The remainder of my Hair did not 'Stain' and remained My Natural Color (Dark Brown). :look:

I do cover the Henna Stain with Indigo because I prefer 'darker' hair. I just mixed my Henna with ACV, (allowed to sit about 9 hours for dye to release) I always add in a 'splash' of Oil (this time I used EFA). I've used, Wheat Germ, Amla, etc....

I applied to Damp, Co-Washed Hair and wrapped in Saran Wrap and Covered with a Baggie for about 3 Hours.

Rinsed out with Conditioner and then Deep Conditioned with Heat for about an Hour.

I get Perfect Results every time. It Lasts Longer, Maximum Coverage and is Far more Superior than Bottled Color (Health & Shine). I've never mixed it with Conditioner etc.......although alot of Ladies do and have perfect results. I stick to the directions I was given and it works great for me every single time.:grin:

Keep Me Posted on how it turns out. You'll Do Fine.:yep:

Last edited:
Thanks sooo have two awesome options! Keep the suggestions coming!:yep:

ETA: How will I know the dye has released?:perplexed and there are varying time suggestions for how long to let it it out and let it sit in your hair...how long do you think it should be in her hair?

Last edited:
I would just put a regular henna over it. It will retain most of the underlying color, with a coppery reddish tint.

ETA: I used to let my dye release overnight for maximum color, then I would leave it on my hair for 2-4 hours (or more)

When the dye releases it turns a darker brown-green color. My mix:

008-vi.jpg

-Squirt Lemon Juice--for acidity and color release
-2 or 3 Big squirts of Conditioner--For Moisture
-1 egg yolk--For Softness and Strength
-Honey--For Added Moisture
-Jojoba Oil--For Lubrication
-Peppermint Essential Oil--For the Tinggggle
-Glycerin--For Moisture

Then add

-Distilled Water--to form a paste

Before Dye Release:

009-vi.jpg

After:

010-vi.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sure that Khadjia will comment, but my suggestion is try a straight henna treatment first & see how it turns out. Then tweak it as needed.

BTW, my personal preference is amla over indigo. I think it gives much nicer shades of reddish/brown and it's easier to work with.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
BlackMasterPiece, I transitioned my mom to henna as well. Similar story, chemical dyes = disaster! She is 99% gray. She likes the medium-dark reddish brownish look (similar to your mom's roots in the pics above).
When I went home in Nov. I used 50 grams of henna to 25 grams of indigo. TOO RED! Kinda orangey/red... but we didn't want it too dark, so I started out with less indigo at first.
When I went back for Christmas I used 50 grams of henna to 50 grams of indigo. PERFECT!
If your mom wants to maintain the reddish color already there on the rest of her hair, I would advise you to only put the henna/indigo mix on the gray newgrowth and just put henna only on the rest of the hair. In my experience, putting the henna/indigo mix on gray hair is very different than putting it on darker hair. It may darken the previously colored hair more than you may want.

Mix up the henna at least 4 hours before you use it. I put a splash of lemon juice in it to help w/ color release. If you put a little piece of a white paper towel on top of the mix, it will turn red when the dye releases. You can also look at it and see little red puddles.

Mix up the indigo (w/ a pinch of sea salt) after mom is in the chair and prepped. Indigo releases quickly and needs to be applied directly after mixing (but not before mixing it with the henna).

I keep the mix on mom's head for at least 4 hours.

I also have gray in the top of my head and do the same thing for myself. I made the mistake of putting the henna/indigo mix on my entire head and it darkened my hair. So glad I didn't do that to mom's head. She would not let me back in her head. I'll survive, but her precious reddish brown color is a must-have for her.

Hope This Helps!

BMP: You got alot of Great Suggestions. I would recommend, Start off with the Henna Stain. I bet you will be pleased with "Her Color":grin: Especially, since she wants to keep her Red Highlights.:yep:

IA w/Des, I usually mix mine the night before, and it's ready to go, the next morning. They say dye should fully release, I think between 6-12 Hours......

It's Going to 'Grab' that Grey, and you may really be pleased with what you get Color-wise and may not have to follow up with Indigo................

Will the indigo still stain my hair if I don't let the dye release in the henna? To clarify, I don't have time to wait for the dye to release so I want to mix the henna and let it sit on my head then rinse and apply indigo. Will I still get coverage?

Will the indigo still stain my hair if I don't let the dye release in the henna? To clarify, I don't have time to wait for the dye to release so I want to mix the henna and let it sit on my head then rinse and apply indigo. Will I still get coverage?
If I know that I am going to do my henna and it is none in the freezer I will mix it the night before and that is that and with the indigo you put it in the henna right before you will put it in your hair. That will change the color of the henna. and if you don't have time let it sit in your hair at night while you sleep.

Okay so I've been wanting to transition my mom to natural color for the longest, she has reactions to permanent and rinse color and it causes her to have dandruff and minor rashes on her skin....I just KNOW henna is the right choice for her.

I attached pics from a few months ago when I MaxiGlided her freshly colored hair you can really see the auburns and dark browns. Can you guys help me formulate a Henna mix that can replicate this color on her greys?

Thanks so much my gorgeous Henna-ologists!!:grin:
from the pictures your mom's hair looks closer to brown than red. so I would put the indigo in the henna.

Back