Hendigo's what am I doing wrong?

Spongie Bloom

Okay, so I hennaed bout twice before i decided to hendigo, my hair was slighly brown fromt he henna when i decided to. So i followed procedure hennaed, then indigoed soon after. But it didnt take :sad: So i tried again same thing. Infact my hair is now very light brown/ red. I mixed the henna first time with water and lemon juice. The second time with just water and left it overnight for the dye to release. The indigo i just mixed with water and a pinch of salt.

Is there somthing i'm doing wrong? I really want my hair to be black and im a bit reluctant to try hendigo again if it doesnt work cause its so darn messy :nono: im very close to getting a semi permanent colour.

Okay, so I hennaed bout twice before i decided to hendigo, my hair was slighly brown fromt he henna when i decided to. So i followed procedure hennaed, then indigoed soon after. But it didnt take :sad: So i tried again same thing. Infact my hair is now very light brown/ red. I mixed the henna first time with water and lemon juice. The second time with just water and left it overnight for the dye to release. The indigo i just mixed with water and a pinch of salt.

Is there somthing i'm doing wrong? I really want my hair to be black and im a bit reluctant to try hendigo again if it doesnt work cause its so darn messy :nono: im very close to getting a semi permanent colour.

How long are you leaving your mixtures on?

How long did you mix the indigo in advance. sometimes it may be worth leaving it for at least 10min before using.
Also how reputable is the vendor, I mean is indigo fresh enough.
I will repeat the indigo rinse again without the henna tx.

Last edited:
How long are you leaving your mixtures on?

I leave them on for at least an hour, second time i left the indigo on for two hrs

How long did you mix the indigo in advance. sometimes it may be worth leaving it for at least 10min before using.
Also how reputable is the vendor, I mean is indigo fresh enough.
I will repeat the indigo rinse again without the henna tx.

First time around i mixed it in bout 2 mins in advance, the second time i mixed it before jumping in the shower to wash off the hennaso bout 10- 15 mins in advance. I get both henna an indigo from my local indian store

I did everything you did as well, even allowed the indigo to cure over night...with the salt application and still, no take. My little greys are now brownish red but it took about 6 applications!!! Seriously, I just don't know. Maybe try another henna product? Add amla to it that will get it dark? I use Karishma with a little amla oil in it. It will give you a dark color without the indigo.

As far as semi colors, there is a product named Surya that has henna and berries in it...all kinds of colors. It's not expensive and you can play around with them before committing for several weeks. But I do know what you're talking about...it's irritating.

Sounds like your Indigo may be old. Once the water is mixed with Indigo the dye will demise after about an hour. So there's no reason to leave it on for more than an hour. After I mix the Indigo, salt and water I wait no more than 10min before applying it to my hair. The purpose of the 10min wait is to let the dye release. I mix 1 tsp of salt to 100gms of Indigo. I get my Indigo from www.mehandi.com and I always get black results when I double process.

HTH.

Indigo does not require a long period for the dye to release, so mixing a few mins. in advance shouldn't be a problem. Also mixing a little salt is good for making the Indigo stick, so you got that part right also. I usually let my Henna about 2 to 3 hour, and my Indigo at least 2 hours. I discovered the doing a Henndigo treatment first then doing a separate Indigo treatment did yield darker results, also the color does need few days to oxidize. Mine usually gets darker after about 3 days. Even then it's still not dark as I like it, So I usually redo the Indigo process a week later. If you check the "do y'all Henna" thread Hennasooq speaks about some Hennas being darker than others. Moroccan Henna is suppose to yield the darkest results. Also using Sea salt is suppose to be better than using regular salt. Aggie also suggests wrapping the head in foil for the Indigo. HTH http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=6722893&postcount=2696

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=6710871&postcount=2669

'
The 2 step treatment is best to yield very black results. I would add about a tablespoon or two of salt as your hair may be very resistent like mine was. I have a very detailed 2 step henna and indigo recipe and method in my fotki if you need a little more help. Indigo does not need time to release color. It is best used immediately after washing out your henna treatment and I usually leave the indigo on for 2 hours with heat.

I really think you should check out my fotki. I have been having great results with my recipe. If you don't have all the oils and powders for your henna treatment that I use, don't worry about it. A simple henna recipe like the one you have here is fine. I don't use terps (lemon juice) because I always allow my henna to release overnight so I don't use any accelerants. I do add a teaspoon of amla powder to loosen my curl pattern a little though. Good luck.

When I do my Henna/Indigo, I mix Henna & water and then I add some conditioner. Since I want black hair, I do not let the henna sit for color release so I immediately apply it to my just washed hair.

I keep the Henna on for about 3 to 4 hrs. I then rinse it out and mix my Indigo with water and immediately apply to my hair. I let this sit for 2 hours.

My results are great. I can really see the black by the 3rd day. To deepen the black I've also read about adding Amla powder to your Henna mix and a bit of salt to your Indigo mix.

Back