Help with Twist Out

PrissyPJ

Hi ladies,

Lurker coming out and needing some help.

I am a natural (last relaxer 7/08 and BC 11/08). I have never worn my hair in it's natural state, but want to now. I shampoo/condition once a week and flat iron once a week. I want to try a twist out, but don't know what to use. I am a 4B with about 2-3 inches of hair. Can someone tell me what to do. I have the condition/shampoo/condition, down but have no I idea how or what to use for twist outs. Thanks ladies for your help.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Hi and welcome :)

The key for me is to make sure my hair is moisturized well and soft. I did a twist out this morning actually and my hair came out pretty well.

First I cowashed with my beloved Aussie DEEEEEEP conditioner :lick: Then after detangling in the shower, i stepped out and towel dried my hair to get up all the drippys. After that I applied about 4-5 pumps of Herbal Essence Breaks Over Leave in (i think that's the name, which ever one is in the pinkinsh/burgundy bottle) and then on top of that applied some Wonder 8 oil. From there i just twisted in maybe 12 sections and slept on it.

Now, another key to this is ensuring your hair is completly dry. If you decide to airdry as I typically do you need to give your hair enough time to do so or if not, you'll have a case of frizzies. Hope this helps

tailormade84

i suggest you moisturize your hair with a water-based leave in, seal with an oil, and then twist with a LITTLE BIT of gel ....don't go out and buy new stuff :nono:, just try it on with the stuff you have now:yep:....HTH

Cassandra1975

^^ agree with above - it definitely needs to be all the way dry before you take them out, and you can probably use something you already have in your stash. I use shea butter, or Asha's The Mane Attraction, which is shea butter, cocoa butter, beeswax and some other things.

Are you doing individual twists or flat two strand twists?

RMichelleM

the products i use are my leave in conditioner (giovanni direct) and a sealing oil (castor). but you can try using a styling product (like kccc, ors lock & twist gel--does not get hard, curly pudding etc.) if you want more hold

i use pretty much the same technique as Je Ne Sais Quoi. making sure my hair is completely dry beforei untwist.

mscocoface

You say that you flat iron once a week, not sure how your hair will react when it comes to twisting. Have you noticed that when you wash your hair it does revert back to it's natural state or do you see long strands that look as if they have been relaxed?

As for things to use for twist outs can you list what you have already as far as hair products?

I am sure some recommendations can be made.

PrissyPJ

Thanks for the suggestions ladies, feel free to keep them coming.

Yes, my hair still reverts back to it's natural state (tight curls). Below are products I already have, which are mostly oils and conditioners.

Oils: Coconut, grapeseed, olive, castor, jojoba, avocado & sweet almond

Leave in Conditioners: Cantu Shea Butter & Garnier Fructis Conditioning Cream

Other: Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Anti-Humidity Smoothing Milk, Garnier Shine Cream Gel & Silk Elements Leave-in Moisturing Creame

Thanks!

You say that you flat iron once a week, not sure how your hair will react when it comes to twisting. Have you noticed that when you wash your hair it does revert back to it's natural state or do you see long strands that look as if they have been relaxed?

As for things to use for twist outs can you list what you have already as far as hair products?

cookie1

I have a relaxer and my hair strands are usually long (relaxed). Do twists not do good on that type of hair? When I do braid-outs it takes pretty well, should it be similar?

Stiletto_Diva

I usually cowash my hair, then step out of the shower to detangle.

1. With the conditioner still in my hair I take the section that is going to be twisted and detangle it with the denman brush.

2. After it is detangled I twist that section. (So basically I detangle my hair one twist at a time.)

3. Once I have twisted my whole head I put a plastic cap on and leave my hair, with conditioner still in, like that for about an hour.

4. I then get back in the shower and rinse the twist so that there is no more conditioner left.

5. I then towel dry to get all of the excess water out of my hair.

6. I then apply my moisturizer. The last time I used Elasta QP ango Butter mixed with castor oil, but any moisturizer should work. just remember to seal with some type of oil. I recommend castor oil.

7. I then let it airdry until morning.

Like the other ladies said, make sure the hair is completely dry before taking the twists out.

I personally would recommend flat twist or cornrow for the length of your hair because you will need to do smaller sections of hair for single twists.

Hope this helps and welcome to the natural side!!!

PrissyPJ

Thanks for the details. I will try this. Forgot, I do have mango butter. I realized after shampooing today, that it will require a lot of small twists.

I usually cowash my hair, then step out of the shower to detangle.

1. With the conditioner still in my hair I take the section that is going to be twisted and detangle it with the denman brush.

2. After it is detangled I twist that section. (So basically I detangle my hair one twist at a time.)

3. Once I have twisted my whole head I put a plastic cap on and leave my hair, with conditioner still in, like that for about an hour.

4. I then get back in the shower and rinse the twist so that there is no more conditioner left.

5. I then towel dry to get all of the excess water out of my hair.

6. I then apply my moisturizer. The last time I used Elasta QP ango Butter mixed with castor oil, but any moisturizer should work. just remember to seal with some type of oil. I recommend castor oil.

7. I then let it airdry until morning.

Like the other ladies said, make sure the hair is completely dry before taking the twists out.

I personally would recommend flat twist or cornrow for the length of your hair because you will need to do smaller sections of hair for single twists.

Hope this helps and welcome to the natural side!!!