HELP with Detangling long hair!!!

Garner

I desparately need some input from my fellow LHCF members regarding detangling. It appears the longer my hair becomes the more tangled it becomes during wash day. I am currently washing with a clarifying shampoo and Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Shampoo. I condition with a combination of Biolage ultra moisturizing conditioner and recontructive conditioner with EVOO and sit under a heat cap for 20 to 30 min. I rinse and apply hair vitamins and NTM leave-in. It is still tangled. :( And please explain how would a person not comb their hair when wet, allow it to dry prior to combing. Would that be a tangled mess!!! I really need some advice. BTW: I use a large tooth comb, then a small tooth comb in order to prepare hair for roller setting. Thanks everyone.

krissynick

hmm how bout trying a detangling shampoo... i use keracare i like it and maybe after deep conditioning try a good rinse .... tthat detangles well.. i like laifers honey and almond i think i heard was good and i would try silicon mix.. its a condition but i would use it as a rinse to get the tangles out cause it really works.

Cichelle

Are you detangling your hair when the conditioner is in it, under the shower spray? How often are you using clarifying shampoo?

Garner

I use clarifying shampoo every wash (which is weekly). I do not usually detangle after conditioning, because it has to be rinsed anyway. I wash/rinse in the shower. So I shouldn't clarify every wash? I also used hair oil on the ends and Cathy Howse's oil moisturizer nightly, prior to applying a satin scarf. Any suggestions as to the shampoo? I am using the Paul Mitchell due to an itchy scalp. I did see that Keracare was listed.

Fine 4s

If I'm not washing in twists, I would create six or more areas and spray a detangler on my damp hair and untangle gently.
I would wash in those braids and rinse really really well....

prospurr4

I use clarifying shampoo every wash (which is weekly). I do not usually detangle after conditioning, because it has to be rinsed anyway. I wash/rinse in the shower. So I shouldn't clarify every wash? I also used hair oil on the ends and Cathy Howse's oil moisturizer nightly, prior to applying a satin scarf. Any suggestions as to the shampoo? I am using the Paul Mitchell due to an itchy scalp. I did see that Keracare was listed.

I wouldn't use a clarifying poo weekly unless I had some serious buildup from products that I used throughout the week. Using any poo, at full strength, tends to strip and dry my hair out. I also wash weekly but alternate with a conditioner wash one week, and regular poo (diluted) the next.

ETA: Regarding detangling: While my hair is still dry, I gently detangle with my fingers, from tip to root. Then I apply DC to dry hair and make about 6 twists. If using poo, I follow with diluted poo, then rinse and detangle under shower stream. This method has worked great for me.

Hope ths helps.

Last edited:

Garner

Krissynik...I saw Laifers on a website however there werre several silicon mix solutions. Which one do you recommend? Now did you say you used Laifers honey and almond? And do you ladies recommend using a detangling comb after conditioning? What about a leave-in? LOVE THE RESPONSES!!!

onyxcabelo

I clarify about every 2 to 3 weeks, but often I'll wait even longer. I usually let my hair "tell" me when it's time to clarify. Otherwise, I co wash with suave coconut conditioner. I tend to tangle in my new growth area A LOT because I haven't had a retouch in many a months. How do you like to wear your hair? If you prefer to wear it in protective styles, perhaps you can find a good leave-in and spray it all over your hair after you shampoo and condition, then go in and section into smaller pieces applying more leave-in as you detangle. This is what I do, and it helps me a lot to get through those tangles (try to find a leave- in product that doesn't cause a lot of build up so that you don't have to clarify as often). If I dare to massage my scalp before I wash, then I like to use scurl (no drip) to loosen up my tangles. This works well if your wearing your hair up, otherwise it might be too much if your trying to flatiron or any other type of styling where you're wearing it out.

JustKiya

I would suggest detangling while the conditioner is in your hair, and then rinsing without 'disturbing' your hair - just letting the water flow (handheld showerhead makes this a LOT easier) through your hair - the water won't tangle your hair, by itself.

I second that you shouldn't be clarifying each wash - that might also be causing your tangles...

Garner

I usually wear my hair up with a clip except on Sunday's at church or special occasions. My hair is tangling more with the older relaxed strands than the new growth right now because I just relaxed 2 wks ago. I try to stretch 12 wks and of course then it is new growth and older hair! LOL What type of detangling spray do you recommend? Do you roller set? I hope you ladies don't mind the questions. It is just driving me batty :wallbash:

LynnieB

Are you washing and conditioning your hair in sections?

I started doing this during my transition and continue to do it now - it's a lifesaver and megatimesaver.

i dampen my hair with a spritz or with conditioner and use my fingers to remove most of the tangles then i section my hair into 4 sections and either braid or twist it up, step in the shower and let the hair get good and wet. i take out one braid, wash it, rinse it then braid it back up and move on to the other 3.

i hold the bottom of the hair, apply shampoo and work it near the roots then use my hands to move the poo down the length while gently squeezing the hair. i rinse it out the same way.

i then condition exactly the same way, in the same sections.

when i'm done i use a towel to squish out most of the water (hair is damp but not soaking wet) from the braids, take a braid down, apply product and use a wide tooth comb or my denman brush to finish the job.

Not sure if you're already doing it this way so thought i'd toss this out there.

Moroni

I desparately need some input from my fellow LHCF members regarding detangling. It appears the longer my hair becomes the more tangled it becomes during wash day. I am currently washing with a clarifying shampoo and Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Shampoo. I condition with a combination of Biolage ultra moisturizing conditioner and recontructive conditioner with EVOO and sit under a heat cap for 20 to 30 min. I rinse and apply hair vitamins and NTM leave-in. It is still tangled. :( And please explain how would a person not comb their hair when wet, allow it to dry prior to combing. Would that be a tangled mess!!! I really need some advice. BTW: I use a large tooth comb, then a small tooth comb in order to prepare hair for roller setting. Thanks everyone.

How often are you washing and why are you using a clarifying shampoo each time?

I cowash several times a week, and frankly, I haven't had any detangling issues since I first became a member. Have you tried prepoos or oil rinsing? I have Paul Mitchell Detangler, but I've only used it once, because I don't need it.

Cowashing with Pantene R/N Intensive Conditioner will put that slip right back into your hair, and if you detangle under the shower, it'll all be good. HTH

PatTodd

I recommend trying the Crown and Glory method of detangling:

http://www.growafrohairlong.com/combbrush.html

(Click on the video called A New Way to Comb and Brush Your Hair)

I personally do a version of the oil rinse where I pretty much saturate my dry hair with oil, gently pull the strands apart, detangle with the comb as gently as possible, and then conditioner wash.

I have also found that "clarifying" with a rinse of apple cider vinegar and water before my final conditioner (usually Silicon Mix) helps a lot.

Garner

Your hair is lovely!!! I am not washing my hair this way, however this is a good suggestion. Sure, it would be time consuming but well worth it. do you have problems with itchy scalp? I saw your product portion of the album had Lustra silk leave-in pictured. Are there any other leave in's that are good? I also saw you created a spritz with conditioner.

lonei

I use to have the same problem. My advice is:

Braid the hair in about 10 large sections (I have pics in my fotki washing album)

Only clarify when there is extreme build up or use a mositurising shampoo afterwards (Like Giovanni Tee Tree to clarify and Giovanni Magnetic shampoo to moisturise)

Use Porosity control as your final rinse (put it in each section for the last 5 mins)

Detangle standing up under the shower with the Jilbere Shower comb, one section at a time washing out the conditioner on each section as you comb it

Add Giovanni Direct leave in and the comb glides through, trust me, I have texlaxed hair that mats when wet so this really does work.

Keep rewetting each section as you roll.

Good luck

Fine 4s

Are you washing and conditioning your hair in sections?

I started doing this during my transition and continue to do it now - it's a lifesaver and megatimesaver.

i dampen my hair with a spritz or with conditioner and use my fingers to remove most of the tangles then i section my hair into 4 sections and either braid or twist it up, step in the shower and let the hair get good and wet. i take out one braid, wash it, rinse it then braid it back up and move on to the other 3.

i hold the bottom of the hair, apply shampoo and work it near the roots then use my hands to move the poo down the length while gently squeezing the hair. i rinse it out the same way.

i then condition exactly the same way, in the same sections.

when i'm done i use a towel to squish out most of the water (hair is damp but not soaking wet) from the braids, take a braid down, apply product and use a wide tooth comb or my denman brush to finish the job.

Not sure if you're already doing it this way so thought i'd toss this out there.

I totally use this method! You know, untangling with conditioner (deep or otherwise) in my hair doesn't do it for me. At the begining of my journey it worked but not anymore. If Garner is natural it's a whole other ball game untangling hair.

Garner

Hi Everyone!!! I should have clarified. I am 4a relaxed. I am not planning to transition just stretching for at least 12 wks plus if possible.

krissynick

Krissynik...I saw Laifers on a website however there werre several silicon mix solutions. Which one do you recommend? Now did you say you used Laifers honey and almond? And do you ladies recommend using a detangling comb after conditioning? What about a leave-in? LOVE THE RESPONSES!!!

yeah its the honeya nd almond i havent used it myself but i hear it detangles really well. also did u detangle before u wash and i find pre poo helps.. and jsut basically the way u wash it ... like straight back in teh shower and try nto to get it too tangled .. like dont pile hair on top of your head... i use a regular wide tooth comb . the way i comb it out i cant explain but i got it from machiereamours dvd...

inthepink

Several things have helped me with detangling my long hair:

1. Comb through hair thoroughly before washing to get rid of all the shedded hair.
2. Comb through hair while rinsing out the shampoo OR
3. Comb through hair with a light conditioner (before true conditioning)
4. Wash & condition hair in two halves