Help Wanted: Another blowdrying question for naturals.

Choklatekiss79

When it becomes difficult to get the blowdryer comb trough your ends, does that mean it's time for a trim or is there something wrong with my technique? The rest of my hair dried beautifully and soft, but the ends are rough and noticeably more dry (looking) than the rest of my hair.

I washed, deep conditioned, detangled, and then gently blew it dry (ceramic/ionic heat) in small sections with the mid sized comb attachment. I twisted each section as I went along. I used Nexxus Heat protectant (three spays on each section) and IC Fantasia heat protectant and straightening serum (love this stuff) on each section. Afterwards I put a generous amount of olive oil on my scalp, hair, and ends.

Sidenote: I think WnGs have wreaked havoc on my ends, so I plan to blowdry and wear twists and twist outs on dry hair for the rest of the year to see if it gets any better.

I find for myself that its tough to ever really get my ends perfectly smooth. when i go to the salon they manage to get it close. but i think natural hair just tends to kinda knot on itself on the ends often. but that doesn't mean you have to trim as long as your ends are not split.

hope that helps

My ends were always the problem because they were so curly. I don't blow dry because I find that in order to get my ends looking halfway decent I had to use too much heat. So I rollerset and then keep it moving. I never flat ironed my whole head just the bang part. I like the curlier look so I didn't use a lot of heat.

If your ends are not splitting or breaking then I wouldn't trim them, however a dusting might be beneficial to you.

Thanks Ladies. I don't have any splits or breakage. The ends just aren't smooth. Maybe I'll try upping the DCing.

Thanks again!

Ita with qetesh, unless ur ends are damaged a trim shldnt b needed. I have only had this prob when i blowdried when my hair was nearly all dry, so by the time i got to my ends the hair had bunched back together and it was difficult to get comb thru. The dryer contributd to completely sucking watever moisture was left in my strands. Technique, ive been dryin with comb attachmnt in a downward motion, when my hair is slightly damp. I usd to dry like i was piking my afro! Hope that helps

Ita with qetesh, unless ur ends are damaged a trim shldnt b needed. I have only had this prob when i blowdried when my hair was nearly all dry, so by the time i got to my ends the hair had bunched back together and it was difficult to get comb thru. The dryer contributd to completely sucking watever moisture was left in my strands. Technique, ive been dryin with comb attachmnt in a downward motion, when my hair is slightly damp. I usd to dry like i was piking my afro! Hope that helps

Thanks Nya!

dry ends are not always damaged, imo. however, if they are rough looking (i.e - scraggly, thin etc) then they may need to be trimmed.

i think blow outs are drying by nature. so if your ends don't feel as moisturised and healthy as they usually do, that could be the reason. if i can't get the attachment through my ends, i presume i did not detangle adequately enough before setting the attachment on it.

Last edited:
Before blowdrying, apply extra hair product to your ends so it would be easier for the comb to go through. And you may have to try blowdrying in smaller sections than you are currently doing. Hope that helps!

Back