HELP! STYLE MAINTENANCE FOR NATURALS!

Niapb

So I'm just wondering, how do you ladies maintain your braidouts, twist outs, braid n curls and flexi rod sets? My favorite is the braid n curl but I only get one day out of it because no matter how I wrap it at night I always wake up with it smooshed or the curls all messed up and fallen out! Help!

Niapb

I've seen this but my hair isn't long enough to pile on the top of my head! Any other suggestions?

Lady_q_tee

I love braid and curl, I just pop my bonnet on at night and thats it... My curls stay for 5 days! ... Have you tried lightly spritzing with an oil and putting a bonnet on.... Sometimes simplicity is key ... None of that funny banana businesses for me

For twists out, I.re-twist at night because I dont use setting lotion for twists so the hold isnt as firm... Ill do 6 twists in my hair then bantu.knot the twists. Just do it on dry hair.. Mouisturise and seal first...
Sent from my GT-I9000 using Long Hair Care Forum App

Nonie

I have never worn a braid-out/twist-out for more than a day. The idea of going to bed with unbraided/untwisted hair makes me start to get the shakes and froth at the mouth. Sleeping with hair loose to me is a recipe for tangles--something I don't ever let my hair have if I can avoid it.

So yeah, I'd be manipulating my hair every night putting it back into twists or braids if I wanted to rock the do for more than a day. But because I'm way too lazy for that, I'd just enjoy the do for a day then twist or braid my hair and leave it alone in that locked do until it gets untidy again when I'd rock an "-out" for a day again.

ceecy29

I'm 4b if that matters. For braidouts, I braid in smaller sections and "tight", not tight to the scalp but down the length of each braid. I also braid with a product that gives light hold. Kinky curly knot today with oyin handmade burnt sugar pomade works for me. I tend to leave the plaits on for a day before unbraiding into the braid out so that it sets. And yep, I get a week out of that, just tie my silk scarf go to sleep and in the morning after my shower, I take off the scarf shake and go.

For twistouts, I'm currently finger detangling a twist out I've worn for this past week. Still looks good by the way but I'm tired of it. Anyway, I had my hair in tiny twists which I wore for about 3 weeks, washed on the third week then undid the twists to wear a twist out on the 4th week. That 3rd week wash was key to holding the twist sections in place

So key things for my "out" styles are braiding/twisting in small sections, a product with hold, twisting/braiding a little tighter, and wearing the original braids/twists for a little bit to allow the style set. My 4b hair is pretty good at staying put.

afrofaithful

I'm with the OP, I'm not seeing how you all are maintaining these styles AT ALL! I go to the gym and I don't know if you all are co/washing afterwards or what...but even if I don't go to the gym there is no way I can make my styles last that long unless it's cornrows or something. I end up doing my hair every other day or at least weekly.

AimWard

4 loose twists and a satin scarf (and maybe a dab of shea butter) is all I need. The twists are what help maintain the definition.

curlycoquette

I've seen this but my hair isn't long enough to pile on the top of my head! Any other suggestions?

• Some people do re-braid or re-twist using larger sections.The braids and twists are kept loose so you don't mess up too much of the texture. I don't care for doing that.
  • Another option if your hair is too short, is to do a modified pineapple. Pull your hair back away from the sides of your face and wrap your edges with a scarf, so that your curls/braidout/twistout is directed towards the back (similar to the Pineapple, but your hair is lower, and not piled on top). Then you can put a bonnet on over your head.. I don't sleep on my back so smooshing the style isn't a problem. Since you've wrapped a scarf around your edges, you can sleep on your sides without messing up your style.
Someone mentioned tangles, but with these methods your hair is not actually left "loose" so that's irrelevant. Tangles are a non issue for me doing it this way.

curlycoquette

I am definitely not one to manipulate my hair more than once a week.

My braid-n-curls last the entire week. There is technique in how you tie your hair/head at night. I think, also making sure that you used some sort of hold product when you originally style your hair is your best bet.

View my video tutorial of how I maintain my style: YouTube - Maintain a Braid n' Curl / Twist-out / Braid-out
Niapb,
I didn't see this video before I explained my second option but this is very close to the method I am describing. :yep:

Niapb

I am definitely not one to manipulate my hair more than once a week.

My braid-n-curls last the entire week. There is technique in how you tie your hair/head at night. I think, also making sure that you used some sort of hold product when you originally style your hair is your best bet.

View my video tutorial of how I maintain my style: YouTube - Maintain a Braid n' Curl / Twist-out / Braid-out

Your braid n curl tutorial AND maintenance are exactly what I watched to do mine, but somehow I still woke up with smooshed messy curls. Maybe I should invest in a bonnet? I use lottabody for hold and the first day was great but the next morning my curls weren't even curls anymore. Ugh this is so frustrating!

Nonie

Someone mentioned tangles, but with these methods your hair is not actually left "loose" so that's irrelevant. Tangles are a non issue for me doing it this way.

Girl, the ONLY time in the last 7.5 years that I have been on the forum that I have needed to detangle my hair was when I slept with it not braided or twisted. So when it comes to my hair, just tying it up and calling it "not loose" coz it's tied up is not enough. My hair curls back on itself, and I think my moving inadvertently as I sleep makes things worse.

Tangles don't happen when I'm awake though, coz I guess I'm aware of what I'm doing to my head (maybe?). But when I'm asleep, it's a given, if my hair is not braided, it'll be a nightmare to deal with in the AM. The only time I might get away with it, is when it's straightened, but even then I still put it in one braid. Hard to change a habit of a lifetime that's worked for so long.