HELP! My hair is breaking

Growingitlong

I have tried so hard with my hair. But its breaking and I think it is because of overlapped relaxer at my last touch up. I have done the reconstructor, and even done Aphogee (heavy duty). I use scurl to mousturize and it is still breaking. It my hair seems so thin and weak, it is scary. I don't know what else to do.

u may want to use a conditioner that will also make your hair stronger. granier fortifying for dry and damaged hair is really great. u may want to try it. do u deep condition?

Overlaping is very damageing but I know just how you feel thats why I stoped relaxing, I tryed conditions reconstructors and Aphogee. Well I dont want to scare you, but what I did to my hair was just cut it off.... You dont have to cut it all off, maybe you need a trim...

[ QUOTE ]
lillian743 said:
Overlaping is very damageing but I know just how you feel thats why I stoped relaxing, I tryed conditions reconstructors and Aphogee. Well I dont want to scare you, but what I did to my hair was just cut it off.... You dont have to cut it all off, maybe you need a trim...

[/ QUOTE ]

why i stopped relaxing too, i went through so many of these episodes it was crazy

Hey guys, You are scaring me. Isn't there some way to save my hair?

Yes, I deep condition everything I wash, which is twice a week.

Maybe you can deep condition once with a protein like conditioner and then immediately follow up with a moisturizing conditioner. Keep them balanced.
smile.gif

Lose the s-curl. Make sure your hair is up in a bun. Also, try not to comb it more than necessary.

Keep doing the protein treatments (not the heavy duty ones) weekly. Try Motions CPR or Motions Silk Protein or Joico KPak.

Increase you water intake and protein intake. Make sure you're taking a multi vitamin as well.

Sorry for the short choppy sentences.

[ QUOTE ]
Growingitlong said:
Hey guys, You are scaring me. Isn't there some way to save my hair?

Yes, I deep condition everything I wash, which is twice a week.

[/ QUOTE ]
some other good protein conditioners to try are:
Hi-Pro-pac
Nexxus Keraphix
Nexxus Emergencee

The aphogee never really did anything for me when I had to deal with breakage. I had much better results with the ones I listed below. I use them with heat for 20-30 minutes. Try to stop the breakage before cutting your hair. You need to figure out what your hair will respond to first. You may not need to cut as much. Also, try not to use heat for styling or drying your hair.Just where your hair in protective styles with lots of moisture.

I took nothing but S-curl on vacation and used the hotel shampoo and co my hair started breaking and shedding forgot to pack all my other stuff--do you think it is s-curl? also did you use the 2 min moisturizer(from Aphogee) after you rinsed out the aphogee?

Thanks for the tips you guys. IF i lose the s-curl, what do I use for my moisturizer. I am on an island where I don't have too much available. I tried the vaseline bun thingy but my hair is kind of shourt about 11inches at the long points and cannot quite make a bun. So fwhat do you suggest.

I have thought about putting it in braids but the h air seems so thin righgt now that I am scared.

I am using the Hi-Pro Pac as my reconstructor right now and use Hair Mayonaise as my conditioner. I just bought the Elasta QP intense to try out for the next couple of washes to see it it makes a difference. I am going to try it tonight and see what happens.

How is your diet? Maybe you are lacking some vitamins and minerals. I know that when my hair sheds it is usually my diet. My problem is that I am a vegetarian and I have to make myself eat more protein or protein shakes. Hope this helps. Hang in there!

[ QUOTE ]
Growingitlong said:
I am using the Hi-Pro Pac as my reconstructor right now and use Hair Mayonaise as my conditioner. I just bought the Elasta QP intense to try out for the next couple of washes to see it it makes a difference. I am going to try it tonight and see what happens.

[/ QUOTE ]
what kind of hair mayonaise are you using? is it the one by ORS? good luck with Elasta Qp intense. Is it a protein conditioner too? don't over do it with the protein....you and I must have similar hair types. S-curl made my hair hard too. Carefree curl moisturizer works better or try sta-sof-fro. Carefree Curl Gold oil free moisturizer is good too. Get some kind of oil to seal in the moisture. I'm loving Hot Six oil right now.

I have been using the oils to seal. I have a mixture of castor, coconut and olive. I need something to moisturize cause I find that when I use the oils they just sit on my hair and it feels dry and greasy, which is why I use the s-curl. SO if I don't use the s-curl, then what do you suggest?

I did a ACV rinse to calrify after my wassh last night and then used the QP Intense. It felt good going on but I am not sure it did anything for my problem.

I shall work on the protein intake lthough, I do take in a pretty good abount of protein. I eat eggs, almost everyday, as well as chicken orr fish. I also eat a lot of peas and peans.

i agree with the others..lose the s curl..i dont think its for relaxed heads...my hair brok with it...

Pantene also makes a Daily Strengthening spray. It helped me to keep my permed ends for 7 months while I grew out the perm. I also deep conditoned with Proclaim Cholesterol Conditioner with olive oil added. Added a plastic cap and a hot towel. Did this treatment once a week for 7 months.

You wont be able to reverse the damage...but you may be able to hold onto more hair by really being gentle with it. I used shea butter also to twist my hair. I used no heat for 7 months and wore my hair closer to its natural state.

You may have to just leave the hair alone (other than conditioner washes and deep conditioning treatments) until the new growth comes in.

I find that using oil to seal my ends works better if I mist them first to make them damp. I use distilled water to mist the last 3 inches of my hair until they are damp. I use a mixture of castor oil, avocado an olive oils to seal my ends. My hair absorbs the oil as it absorbs the water. For me it works good when I do a wrap or a braid out.

Is your hair breaking or sheddding? There is a difference between the two. According to my stylist, if you are finding long strands with the white tip and it looks like you pulled it from the root than that's shedding. Hair that is breaking tends to be shorter and looks like it broke off.

I experienced the same thing and from what I have learned from my stylist and doing independent studies in Trichology, damaged hair is damaged hair and there is nothing that can be done to reverse it.

I learned that the hard way when I allowed a new stylist to apply my relaxer; shortly afterwards, I experienced significant breakage. This had never happened to me before, but I was told by my regular stylist that I had 2 options:

1. Apply deep conditions, which she specifically chose for my hair texture: Emergencie by Nexxus, Bone Marrow, various products from Santo Domingo and other deep conditioners.

2. Cut it off and start from scratch.

I went with the first option for a couple of months, but got frustrated with ridiculous amounts of hair that I was losing and ended up going for a Halle Berry style pixie.

I got regular dustings, rather than outright trims, which allowed me to maintain length as the new hair grew out. Now, a year later my hair is back down past my chin in an ultra-even bob.

I don't apply my own relaxers, and take the 3.5 hour drive to NYC when I need a touch-up. A bad roller set is one thing, but improper use of chemicals is something that I don't want to have to experience again.

Thanks again for all your tips. I shall be trying some of these. I have not seen Nexxus products in these parts, so I guess that is not an option for me.

My hair id definitely breaking. I know the difference.

Off topic:

Pooky, did you continue to use the Pantene strengthening spray after the big chop? Im itchin' for some new products
ohwell.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Growingitlong said:
I have not seen Nexxus products in these parts, so I guess that is not an option for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I buy my hair products in bulk when I go see my mother in NYC or when I go there to get my hair relaxed, but you should be able to purchase all of your products via the internet:
beautydeals.com (scroll down on the page)
sleekhair.com

i also went through this nightmare. My hair was breaking pretty badly. but what i did was i cut my hair in a cute style ( short in the back, bob in the front) and i deep condition my hair with motions cpr every week, and wash it with the cpr shampoo and lekair hair strengthening shampoo. I also use the Lekair conditioner, and Keracare humecto conditioner. after i wash i use infusium 23. This regimen is helping my hair. The only time i see strands is when i mistakenly pull my hair with the comb too hard. other than that i dont see anything coming out. the best thing to do is try to eat right and have a BIG WASH DAY every week. Look at ur ends and see if u have terrible split ends. If u do, its time for a trim or chop. Up to a couple of weeks ago i was the last person to give hair advice because of how my hair was coming out but now im proof that its just a matter of caring for ur hair.

[ QUOTE ]
NubianAngel said:
Off topic:

Pooky, did you continue to use the Pantene strengthening spray after the big chop? Im itchin' for some new products
ohwell.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No...I have not continuted to used it after the big chop. I have no trouble with my hair breaking at all though. I like the Pantene Hydrating Curl Defining Spray now.

Back