Help - Minor Setback

butterfly3582

Okay I need help. I had my first minor setback and I am feeling really down. I almost feel like giving up. I am having doubt that I can't have long hair. Kind of how I felt before I joined LHCF.

It was wash day and I notice about a dime size (maybe a little bigger) of breakage at the top (middle) of my head. It is really short about 1 inch long. I am just now noticing it. So I dont know how long it has been breaking. Th rest of my hair is healthy and growing very weill.

My regimen is pretty simple
I wash and DC weekly
Moisturize about 5 days a week.
Protein as needed.

I usually get a perm every 12 weeks but I am on week 14. I am aiming for a 18 week stretch. I have been uping my protein a little at the line of D. I have not noticed breakage any where else.

I took out my sew in weave this weekend which I had for 6 weeks. I followed my same regimen while it was in. When I took out my sew in I prepooed with shea butter and olive oil for an hour. Did a 2 minute apoghee and DC. I combed with a wide tooth comb to detangle.

I just don't know what could be the problem.

The only thing I can think of is I tend to scratch in that area a little more than others so I don't know if that is the problem.

I have some mega tek I bought in August that i really dont use. So I am thinking about using that twice a day in that spot. I will pay extra attention when I am moisturizing and sealing that area.

So I have two questions.

What do you think may have caused the breakage
How can I stop the breakage and get it to grow back.

ETA: I plan on getting crown rows tommorrow and wear wigs to take me thru the rest of my stretch. Do you think this is still a good idea?

TIA

Last edited:
Maybe it was because the relaxer wasn't neutralized well.

It's possible it broke off at the demarcation line.

Dont be so hard on yourself.

Looking at your siggy, you made great progress!!!

Thanks

I felt like i had made progress too. But tonight just really depressed me. I felt like i was doing everything right and now this. I just am really down and I am feeling like cutting it all off and calling it a day.

I dont want to be irrational either and react off of my emotions.

Please don't make any rash decisions. Your just frustrated right now. Just start back to getting back on track and lets take it from there.

Please don't make any rash decisions. Your just frustrated right now. Just start back to getting back on track and lets take it from there.

Thanks. I just don't know how to get back on track. I thought i was on track but something was off.

I think i may just need to get a perm. I wondering if the stretching is the problem. I have no idea

Don't be sad! Your progress is amazing. I have this same problem as well, random broken off area at the top of my head and kind of to the side and I have no idea where it came from, right at the demarcation line too because the only hair that's there is my new growth. :ohwell: My sister had this same problem on the back left side of her head about a month ago and she's NEVER had any problems with her hair. It can happen to anyone, so don't feel bad! Just nurture that area and you'll be back on track in no time! :grin:

You will recover from this setback. I promise. I've recovered from 3 different setbacks in less than a year and my hair is still thriving. So please, please, please don't give up.

It may be just one thing or a combination of little things that have cumulated into breakage. Make one change at a time to see how your hair responds. For example, how well do you rinse out your shampoo? The crown is the hardest the rinse because it gets covered by the rest of the hair. You may have product buildup. An ACV rinse may help.

How do you wear your hair at night and during the day? How do you detangle your hair? Is it possible the hair at your crown is getting more pressure/tugging than necessary?

You moisturize 5 days a week. Is the crown drying effectively or is it getting/retaining too much moisture and not receiving enough oxygen?

I noticed my the hair at my crown is shorter than it should be and it's drier and coarser than the rest of my hair. The hair at my crown is the kinkiest hair I have which means it has less cuticles than the rest of my hair. Less cuticles means more prone to dryness and breakage.

While pondering on why the hair at my crown is not as healthy thus as long as the rest of my hair I got an "Ah Hah!" moment. I believe my soft bonnet dryer is the culprit. While trying to dry or DC my hair my crown gets the most direct heat. I read in a long forgotten post a while ago that putting a small wash-cloth on the crown of the hair will help insulate it from the concentrated heat. I don't know if it works but I'm going to try it today.

You will figure out what the culprit or culprits are. Your signature is proof that you are doing right by your hair. Again, a little tweak is probably all your crown needs in order to thrive like the rest of your hair.

Thanks for the encouragement ladies

I am feeling slightly better this morning. I am ready to attack this area and get it back in shape.

I will take it one step at a time until i figure this out. Thanks for all the advice ladies

I am still looking for ideas that may help so please continue to give me advice.

I'm natural and I noticed that I had the same problem in a certain spot in my head, and I didnt notice it until it was growing back some spots are just weaker than others I wouldnt do anything drastic about it though

You will recover from this setback. I promise. I've recovered from 3 different setbacks in less than a year and my hair is still thriving. So please, please, please don't give up.

It may be just one thing or a combination of little things that have cumulated into breakage. Make one change at a time to see how your hair responds. For example, how well do you rinse out your shampoo? The crown is the hardest the rinse because it gets covered by the rest of the hair. You may have product buildup. An ACV rinse may help.

How do you wear your hair at night and during the day? How do you detangle your hair? Is it possible the hair at your crown is getting more pressure/tugging than necessary?

You moisturize 5 days a week. Is the crown drying effectively or is it getting/retaining too much moisture and not receiving enough oxygen?

I noticed my the hair at my crown is shorter than it should be and it's drier and coarser than the rest of my hair. The hair at my crown is the kinkiest hair I have which means it has less cuticles than the rest of my hair. Less cuticles means more prone to dryness and breakage.

While pondering on why the hair at my crown is not as healthy thus as long as the rest of my hair I got an "Ah Hah!" moment. I believe my soft bonnet dryer is the culprit. While trying to dry or DC my hair my crown gets the most direct heat. I read in a long forgotten post a while ago that putting a small wash-cloth on the crown of the hair will help insulate it from the concentrated heat. I don't know if it works but I'm going to try it today.

You will figure out what the culprit or culprits are. Your signature is proof that you are doing right by your hair. Again, a little tweak is probably all your crown needs in order to thrive like the rest of your hair.

I am going to have to agree; your hair might be too moisturized, Nexxus Emergencee to help out once to twice a month, Make try to avoid scractching the area (do you pony, bun or have anything else in this area that might have caused a bacteria or fungus to grow) DON'T CUT, DON'T RELAX, right now, make sure you wait 7 days before doing anything on impluse please. You don't want to regret anything and have to start from scratch. I am glad your feeling better.

I clarify before any hard treatments like Nexxus Emergencee, Aphogee 2 step, Silk Elements MegaSilk Moisture. Just to ensure my hair is getting the full benefits. DON'T CUT Don't CUT Don't RELAX until you RElax!!!!

We are here for you!

Butterfly please breathe for a moment. Don't cut your hair in frustration you are making progress. Do you sleep on your back often? You got to switch it up. If you have the will to stretch longer I believe you can I am 15 weeks post now. Moisturize and baby that area it will get better.

This may sound really silly but was your hair long there before?

The reason why I say this is because I noticed some "breakage" in my nape so to speak and I thought I was doing something wrong. I've been using MT/Bee Mine. I was horrified but then I remembered my hair was just really really short there before due to not really taking care of my hair and the MT/Bee Mine grew it out some to make me really notice the difference.

I didn't have a lot of hair there to begin with, but when I applied the growth aides, it grew to a noticeable length but not long enough like my other hair...which made me think it was breakage.

Just a thought.

Back