Help me Please --- Breakage--Hairline!!!!

princessdi

Okay, I have been battling this breakage problem that’s only at the very tip of my hairline. There are two areas that are significantly shorter than the rest of my hairline. To give you an example, my front hairline is an inch or two past my chin, but the breakage areas do not even come to my forehead.:wallbash: I’m at the point where I just want to cut it all off and start over; however, with this being my hairline, what would that look like. I very seldom wear my hair out; it’s mostly in buns and wigs and I moisturize and protect all the time. I never wear my wigs without a wig cap. I’m so frustrated with this problem and am not quite sure what to do. I’m really confused because there is no other area on my head that is breaking.

What can I do? Should I cut it down and start over? I’ve done this before when I had breakage all over and it worked out great, but with it being the very front of my head, I’m not sure what this will look like. I guess, since I don’t wear it out, and it’s normally combed back in a bun or is hidden under a wig, it won’t matter.

My hair is doing so well, except for this area, and I just want to get it under control so that my hair is healthy all over.:sad:

Is anyone, or has anyone, experienced breakage in their hairline now or in the past? Please offer me some suggestions. I just don’t know what to do next.

Thank you!!!

princessdi

It most certainly could be and that's why I only wear my wigs when I'm 8 weeks or more post relaxer. The rest of the time I'm in a ponytail. Whatever the cause, it's very frustrating!!!:perplexed

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
Maybe the rubbing of the wig cap is causing the problem, you should moisturize extra in that spot.

Aggie

Okay, I have been battling this breakage problem that’s only at the very tip of my hairline. There are two areas that are significantly shorter than the rest of my hairline. To give you an example, my front hairline is an inch or two past my chin, but the breakage areas do not even come to my forehead.:wallbash: I’m at the point where I just want to cut it all off and start over; however, with this being my hairline, what would that look like. I very seldom wear my hair out; it’s mostly in buns and wigs and I moisturize and protect all the time. I never wear my wigs without a wig cap. I’m so frustrated with this problem and am not quite sure what to do. I’m really confused because there is no other area on my head that is breaking.

What can I do? Should I cut it down and start over? I’ve done this before when I had breakage all over and it worked out great, but with it being the very front of my head, I’m not sure what this will look like. I guess, since I don’t wear it out, and it’s normally combed back in a bun or is hidden under a wig, it won’t matter.

My hair is doing so well, except for this area, and I just want to get it under control so that my hair is healthy all over.:sad:

Is anyone, or has anyone, experienced breakage in their hairline now or in the past? Please offer me some suggestions. I just don’t know what to do next.

Thank you!!!
I wouldn't cut it if I were you, just let it grow out as a bang instead. As for the protective styling you are doing, I would revist how and what I'm doing. I find that bunning can thin the edges especially if pulled back too tightly. I NEVER EVER wear a wig cap. I never trusted those nylon caps. I think they suck the moisture right out of my hair and the squeezing motion of their adges is too much for my fine hairs, so I don't wear them. I can adjust my wigs to fit where it wouldn't over squeeze my edges and sometimes I would pin in down with bobby pins onto my cornrows underneath. I have great edges. I alternate styles like you wouldn't believe, almost as fast as I change my clothes. I wear braids, cornrows, full and half wigs, I wear it wrapped styled, and I bun (never pulled tightly) my hair but never for any extended periods of time for any one style. I rarely rollerset.

mscocoface

This issue seems to be a recurring problem for women who are relaxed, texlaxed and natural. Many of us cannot find a real cause for the problem. Can't give you any real advice accept just baby and nuture that area. Look at what you are sleeping with on your head at night as well as what type of pillow covers to you have.

Other than that there is a host of us on this forum that have the same issue.

princessdi

Thanks ladies. I'm going to step up the moisture in that area and also think about not wearing the wig caps. I only wear them because I thought the texture of the wig inside would snag and damage my hair. Maybe I'll think about wearing the half wigs.

msMicaela

girl...please DO NOT cut your hair and start over if you are seeing good results with the rest of your hair..

Since your hairline is the part that is breaking, i would suggest not wearing the wigs or wigcaps for at least 2 months... i have a feeling that this is contributing to the breakage... Also, make sure that when you are pulling your hair back into the bun, that you are not brushing or combing your fragile hairline back...just smooth it with your palms and lay it down with some olive oil or other oil...

HTH

loved

Maybe the rubbing of the wig cap is causing the problem, you should moisturize extra in that spot.

Do wig caps cause cause breakage? I started wearing wigs in January and I am having a terrible time with my front edges. It's a horrible look.

MummysGirl

In addition to what the other ladies have said, from personal experience with my edges - make sure your ponytails are nowhere near tight and when you are getting your relaxers, make sure the relaxer stays on your hairline for the shortest time possible.

The other areas of my hair have thrived but my hairline seemed to go the opposite way, I have enough length on my not to look like I am balding but it's much shorter than the rest of my hair! I have now realised that, in my case, it was leaving the relaxers on my hairline longer than neccessary cos when my new growth starts to come in, the hair is really nice and grows in evenly.

Your hair looks nice and full :)

mahogany_horizons

Yeah, I think what the other ladies have said has been really good advice. It may help me as well. My hairline is defintely long, but there are peices on the hairline where it is not as long as the other peices. Now I have checked out the tips of some of these hairs (yes I am a freak), and they don't look broken, they have long stems, as though they are still trying to continue to grow. I have to wonder if my hairline grows more slowly. But then again too I also thought the same thing about my crown, but by nurturing my crown, and treating it tenderly, I am now seeing that it is growing just as long as the rest of my hair.

It could be the same thing for my hairline.

IF ONLY I could make my mother listen. It was hard enough getting her to relax the crown first, instead of going from front to back and putting it all around my hairline first!