HELP!I NEED HELP--SEW IN WEAVE

:sad: I'VE JUST REALIZED A THIRD OF MY HAIR IS DAMAGED due to sew in weave. I really enjoy my weave and want to continue wearing it while I grow my hair to my goal length. My hair is natural and simular to Rudy on the Cosby show :)ohwell: sorry I'm a newbie unfamilar with all the type labels). I know that in the past I wasn't taking care of it, but what else could be going on? most of it looks like major breakage. Does anyone have a link or thread of the do's, don'ts, what for's, and how to's of the sew in weave.

PLEASE HEP MEH! HEP MEH! :wallbash:

Hey Girlie, thanks for the quick respone, It's somewhat hard to describe. I have my hair braided and there is a ton, I mean a ton of hair that's less than an inch long and some that are 2-4 inches and many that are 5-8 in. when I braid it it's all fuzzy and poking out of the braid. My hair tends to do that anyway, kind of curly in that island girl kinda way (if you follow me...maybe not.) It's ALL different legnths so I know either I or my weaver is doing something wrong it could be the two of us. Please some one help....bumping for replies.

DaDragonPrincess

I have a guy stylest that do my sew ins, I don't know if you ever heard the term of how "men" make your hair grow, it's true girl, I lets him do my sew ins.

Listen to this, EVERYONE that say they can do a sew in weave CAN'T, so my advice to you is to find someone that is really good, and has growing hands. Also make sure you still shampoo and DC your hair while you rocking sew ins and keep scalp treated with oils,grease or whatever you use while your sew in weave is in.

Hope this help you out a little sweetie.

Last edited:
I have a guy stylest that do my stylest, I don't know if you ever heard the term of how "men" make your hair grow, it's true girl, I lets him do my sew ins.

Listen to this, EVERYONE that say they can do a sew in weave CAN'T, so my advice to you is to find someone that is really good, and has growing hands. Also make sure you still shampoo and DC your hair while you rocking sew ins and keep scalp treated with oils,grease or whatever you use while your sew in weave is in.

Hope this help you out a little sweetie.
Thank you DDPrincess!

priceless2608

Were you keeping your hair moist under the sew ins? What products are you using?

While wearing sew ins, your natural hair will become dry and brittle if it is not washed, conditioned and moisturized on a regular basis. Therefore, you will want to use gentle products to wash your scalp as well as your natural hair and the weave hair every 7-14 days. And make sure you keep your hair moisturized with a deep conditioner, and moisturizer. Also, care for your weave as if it were your own hair, so comb or brush the weave gently, b/c if done to forcefully you'll be causing a lot of stress on your hair underneath.

HTH

:sad: I'VE JUST REALIZED A THIRD OF MY HAIR IS DAMAGED due to sew in weave. I really enjoy my weave and want to continue wearing it while I grow my hair to my goal length. My hair is natural and simular to Rudy on the Cosby show :)ohwell: sorry I'm a newbie unfamilar with all the type labels). I know that in the past I wasn't taking care of it, but what else could be going on? most of it looks like major breakage. Does anyone have a link or thread of the do's, don'ts, what for's, and how to's of the sew in weave.

PLEASE HEP MEH! HEP MEH! :wallbash:

producjunki

To Belle Ceole, in addition to what the other ladies have already mentioned, just how long do you keep your sew-ins on at a time? Also, are you sure your stylist is licensed and knows what she is doing? Where I work at, I see a lot of girls that claim to know how to do hair because they call themselves putting in their weaves. However, if they actually knew what they were doing, their hair would be growing in nicely and they might not need those weaves they sport(I've seen their real hair, and for some it's a shame). So to get to the point, Talk to your stylist and explain what's been going on with your hair, and make sure she knows what she's doing. Make sure that while you are wearing weaves, you shampoo, deep-condition, etc. Also, get ends trimmed and try other styles besides weaves. Finally, let your hair breathe, and try to do protein treatments.

producjunki

And what I forgot to mention is browse the boards here, they have a lot of delightful mosturizing and reconstructing recipes and products that are discussed on here. Check out Discodumplings recipes, I even have a Tropical Hair treatment on here that might be of help to you.

thank you Priceless!! What do you think I can do right now to prep my hair for the sew in. I didn't realize that moisturize was sooooo important--DAH!

priceless2608

I would do moisturizing deep conditioner treatments, maybe 2wce a week, make sure you use a moisturizing leave in also. You mentioned you are natural, so I'm not sure how your hair likes protein, but maybe try a light protein treatment.

thank you Priceless!! What do you think I can do right now to prep my hair for the sew in. I didn't realize that moisturize was sooooo important--DAH!

AMAKA127

I also started sew in weaves as a protective hair style and I love them .... so far so good.... I moisturize my edges every night with profectiv moisturizing hair cream which is really good.... I also mixed up my own "hair crack" lol that I apply to my scalp every other night .... in this is: mega-tek, profectiv mega growth anti breakage growth lotion, tea tree oil, olive oil, carrot oil, castor oil, neutrogena's triple moisture silk touch leave in cream (the secret weapon) and these two humectants honeyquat and silk amino acids(only a cap full). I mix these all up in an applicator bottle with a pointy tip (which u can get from a beauty supply store for like $2) shake it up really well ....it normally comes out a little watery but I like it that way because the "hair crack" is even able to reach underneath my braids .... I hope this helps .... also try not to braid ur edges ..... it can cause some serious breakage... good luck!

GoingBack

I also started sew in weaves as a protective hair style and I love them .... so far so good.... I moisturize my edges every night with profectiv moisturizing hair cream which is really good.... I also mixed up my own "hair crack" lol that I apply to my scalp every other night .... in this is: mega-tek, profectiv mega growth anti breakage growth lotion, tea tree oil, olive oil, carrot oil, castor oil, neutrogena's triple moisture silk touch leave in cream (the secret weapon) and these two humectants honeyquat and silk amino acids(only a cap full). I mix these all up in an applicator bottle with a pointy tip (which u can get from a beauty supply store for like $2) shake it up really well ....it normally comes out a little watery but I like it that way because the "hair crack" is even able to reach underneath my braids .... I hope this helps .... also try not to braid ur edges ..... it can cause some serious breakage... good luck!

I like your mixture. Sounds great!

LaidBak

Belle,
I just got my first full head sew in EVER. I've had it on for 1 week. I've got a net over my braids which feels weird to me. I don't like the fact that I cannot touch my scalp.
But anyway, 2 or 3 times a day I coat my scalp with a liquid leave in conditioner. I pour it from the spray bottle into a small squeeze bottle and apply it all over my scalp. I also mix in a few drops of silk amino acid and a few drops of oil. I am hoping that this will decrease the potential for damage (and it helps with the itching). Do you moisturize your scalp/hair at all? I also left my edges out and I hit them 2ce a day with either castor oil or Elasta QP mango butter.
At any rate, I think that its really important to keep your hair moist while wearing a sew in.