Help!!! I just hennaed and my hair is breaking.

Lotus

I just hennead. Here's what I used

50g Jamila henna
2tbs coffee
2tbs alma powder
2 tbs coconut oil

50g Indigo Powder (Henna for hair)
pinch of salt

My hair is now black. But, as I was co washing (V05) in the shower, I had hair everywhere. Never the less, I believe I rinsed all of the henna out. Then I used Avocado Conditioner and got under the dryer for 15mins. As I combed my hair I had breakage all over my back. Im now sitting w/Emergencia on my head.

Any suggestions on what caused this?

If you experienced this, temporary?

Should I henna again to see if it stops? I know that sounds crazy, but I read it gets better w/each use.

What should I do differently next time?

Pls help!!!!

JustKiya

Hrmmmm, interesting. The ONLY time I had breakage like that with henna was when I was loading up on the protien and henna - when was your last protien treatment? How fine is your hair? How protien sensitive is it?

Henna isn't a protien, but it can act like one - including making your hair 'brittle' if there's an overload.

I would DC, DC, DC - and do your regualar co-washes, and use as close to NO protien as possible until your hair gets it's 'bounce' back.

Oooh. You might want to try the Caramel treatment - that would moisturize your hair like WHOA!

Lotus

Hrmmmm, interesting. The ONLY time I had breakage like that with henna was when I was loading up on the protien and henna - when was your last protien treatment? How fine is your hair? How protien sensitive is it?

Henna isn't a protien, but it can act like one - including making your hair 'brittle' if there's an overload.

I would DC, DC, DC - and do your regualar co-washes, and use as close to NO protien as possible until your hair gets it's 'bounce' back.

Oooh. You might want to try the Caramel treatment - that would moisturize your hair like WHOA!

Thanks much!!!!
I used mixed Aphogee and Emergencia about 2 to 3 weeks ago.
My hair is fine, but normally loves protien because I co-wash sooo much.

Im going to do a search on the carmel treatment and see if I have the stuff here. I have contractors working on my house and I can leave right now.

Last edited:

JustKiya

Oooh, Emergencia is a protien? :ohwell: Yeah, you might not have wanted to do that right after henna.....
*nod* Keep protien away from your hair for at least a week, maybe more, and stick with the frequent co-washes - I can't remember how long it took my hair to bounce back - I wouldn't use any more protien until your hair clearly FEELS like it needs it, and then, go lightly on it - there is a thread around here somewhere about henna & protien, and I think most henna users said that had to stop using the 'heavy' protiens, because the henna made up for it.

I hope that helps - keep us updated!

diamondlady

Lotus,

If I were you I think I would use a moisturizing conditioner. Henna makes my hair rather dry, adding protein will only make it dryer. Personally, I would use add a good moisturizer.

Lotus

Oh man... Emergencia is my 'cure all'. I thought it as a mild protein, heavy moisture. Ok, here's what I have on hand (Yes, I have a problem).

Emergencia
Avocado
Milk and Honey
Cinnamon and Sole
Elucence MBC
Elucence EMRT
ORS
SAA
Nu Era
VO5

Any recs? Im going to go rinse this emergencia out.. I'll brb.

JustKiya

:lachen:

I'm a kitchen witch - I need to know what's in your cabinets!! :lol:

Urm. I'd take almost any protien-free con you have (check the labels) and mix in a nice dollop of honey, and let it sit in your hair for 15-20 minutes.....you want no-protien, ultra-moisture right now.

4mia

adding amla to the mix could cause the hair to get dry and possibly break as well. when i hennaed i only added amla oil

Lotus

:lachen:

I'm a kitchen witch - I need to know what's in your cabinets!! :lol:

Urm. I'd take almost any protien-free con you have (check the labels) and mix in a nice dollop of honey, and let it sit in your hair for 15-20 minutes.....you want no-protien, ultra-moisture right now.

I dibble and dabble :look:. In the kitchen I have

Honey
Coconut Oil
Castor Oil
Alma Oil
Vitaka Oil
Almond Oil
Mustard Oil
Coconut Cream
Yogurt
Lotus Powder
Casia
Soy Lecithin
Maple Syrup
Prime Rose Oil
Vit E
Jojoba Oil
Amla powder
Shikakai
Shea butter
Rosemary
Bunch of essential oils (lots massage therapy).

I also have Nugrow: Water, Glycerin, Parsley, Garlic, Irish Moss, Indian Hemp, Rosemary, Nettle, Burdock, Horsetail Coltsfoot, Lemon Verbena, Sage, Myrrh, Coconut Oil, Marigold, Biotin Birch, Lavender Oil, Jojoba Oil, Evening Primrose Oil, Fragrance, Paba, B-5, Vitamins E, A, and D, Aloe Vera, Honey, and Avocado Oil

Last edited:

Lotus

adding amla to the mix could cause the hair to get dry and possibly break as well. when i hennaed i only added amla oil

Man i shouda went w/my first mind. I almost put Amla oil in there, but read that Amla (oils) may affect the uptake of Indigo so I decided against it.

JustKiya

DIBBLE AND DABBLE??? Dang girl, you could open up a STORE!! :lachen: What's the Rose oil for?

Okay.

*eyes list*

*nod* I'm sticking to honey + protien free conditioner, and maybe a touch of vit E if your hair takes to oils well....... if you had some glycerin, that would be nice to add too.

I thought amla was a softening/conditioning herb, that's why it's always suggested to be added with shikakai?

Lotus

DIBBLE AND DABBLE??? Dang girl, you could open up a STORE!! :lachen: What's the Rose oil for?

Okay.

*eyes list*

*nod* I'm sticking to honey + protien free conditioner, and maybe a touch of vit E if your hair takes to oils well....... if you had some glycerin, that would be nice to add too.

I thought amla was a softening/conditioning herb, that's why it's always suggested to be added with shikakai?

Yep, that's right (Amla). But I wanted a black/black and I read (somewhere) that Indigo was funny and didnt like oils so I went w/Coconut oil.. cuz its light. Now I feel like kicking myself.

The Prime rose oil helps w/PCOS. Good for hair skin and nails.

Ok... I'll mix the Avocado, honey, Vit E and a little Nu-grow (Im outa pure glycerin) and bag it.

ETA: Just wanted to pop back in and make sure i said thank you... 'Thank you'.

Last edited:

JustKiya

That mix sounds good - esp. with the baggying..... *nod*

Helps with PCOS??? Word??? You have any links/info I can read?

Heh, you're more than welcome!!

Lotus

Helps with PCOS??? Word??? You have any links/info I can read?

Sorry, I didnt save any (and it's been so long). But l remember reading on SoulCysters site.. and doing searches for Primerose Oil and DHT blockers. Then I notice alot of product had PrimeRose oil in it (especially ones for hair loss)... so I bought it to add to my products. I remember Primerose is high in GLA (gamma-Linolenic acid) and GLA is used in lots of thinning products.

I did quick search... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma-Linolenic_acid

HTHs.

JustKiya

Ahhh, primrose oil!!! Like Evening Primrose??? Okay, okay, okay - I thought it was Prime Rose Oil, like something made of roses - I've heard of using EPO for PCOS..... didn't know about using it for hair, though. :lol: That might be kinda moisturizing too, eh?

Moroni

I had a henna disaster once, and I was able to recover with a cheapie moisturizing conditioner (I think I used Suave coconut something) mixed with honey. I DC'd with heat for about an hour, rinsed it out, and did it again. Then I made sure I moisturized my hair a lot after it airdried, and DC'd again the next day. I've never had the problem again, though, because I use coconut milk and avocado in my henna mix, and DC afterwards. Henna, SAA and Aveda DR are the only "proteins" in my hair's "diet", though. I'm sorry this happened, but henna can be a girl's best friend.

Lotus

Ahhh, primrose oil!!! Like Evening Primrose??? Okay, okay, okay - I thought it was Prime Rose Oil, like something made of roses - I've heard of using EPO for PCOS..... didn't know about using it for hair, though. :lol: That might be kinda moisturizing too, eh?

:lachen:Yea, that's it. My hair done went to falling out and I cant 'thank' straight. :spinning:. I've never used it straight, but let me see. I'm kinda ashy from bouncing back and forth in the shower :blush:... we shall soon find out.

Lotus

Oh yea.. have you tired the Rose powder? I like that alot.. in the tube. Havent used is as a rinse yet... but it's very moisturizing in bath water.

Primerose on the skin: It absorbs easily and has a dull sheen to it. My skin does look or feel coated w/oil. My hands feel more moist, kinda like when you do a honey/sugar scrub or something. Im go go mix an apply conditioner and i'll put more on when im under the dryer. I'll follow up after i wash my hand or rinse my hair. Whichever comes first.

Lotus

Innnnnteresting......

Ok, I washed my hands (w/medimix soap) and towel dried. I wanted to get a 'feel' before I lathered up w/conditioner because of the honey. My hands still feel soft.. almost coated. They still have that moist sugar scrub feel and they're not greasy at all.

I've used this in my hair before. But, I concentrated on applying it to my scalp in my temple area w/MN mixture. I did a search for it and hair and FNWL came up. Guess what- They're out :lachen:. In each and every size "OOS".

Lotus

I had a henna disaster once, and I was able to recover with a cheapie moisturizing conditioner (I think I used Suave coconut something) mixed with honey. I DC'd with heat for about an hour, rinsed it out, and did it again. Then I made sure I moisturized my hair a lot after it airdried, and DC'd again the next day. I've never had the problem again, though, because I use coconut milk and avocado in my henna mix, and DC afterwards. Henna, SAA and Aveda DR are the only "proteins" in my hair's "diet", though. I'm sorry this happened, but henna can be a girl's best friend.

Thanks much. I'll do the same. *Singing* Im gonna make Henna love me, OOOO yes I am. Yes I am!

Did you use indigo w/your mix? I really want black/black hair, but I'd rather have hair on my head (lol). I guess I'll mix up the henna like I did for the gloss (and let it release).. then add the indigo and see what I come up with. If the indigo doesnt take.. it just doenst take. Best believe Im never doing this mixture again. No way, no how!

Moroni

Thanks much. I'll do the same. *Singing* Im gonna make Henna love me, OOOO yes I am. Yes I am!

Did you use indigo w/your mix? I really want black/black hair, but I'd rather have hair on my head (lol). I guess I'll mix up the henna like I did for the gloss (and let it release).. then add the indigo and see what I come up with. If the indigo doesnt take.. it just doenst take. Best believe Im never doing this mixture again. No way, no how!

No, I've never used indigo. I love the color I get from henna alone (well, not really alone. I add amla and shikakai powders as well. I think you might want to PM Sareca about how she gets the black/black color with indigo. I got the impression that she used the indigo AFTER henna, now WITH it. HTH

sunshinelady

This happened to my hair as well. I used henna, coconut milk, and lime. My hair had knots and tangles that it took me weeks to get out. I really think something is up with the ph of the henna mixes that causes people problems.

I would get a neutralizing/chelating shampoo and use that several times. I would also tell you to oil your hair and leave it alone for at least a day.

WomanlyCharm

Don't add the indigo to the henna...to get jet black hair, henna first, then indigo seperately.

I also DC with an ORS packet conditioner and avocado oil after I henna...it really makes a difference, my hair is much much softer. Good luck!

Lotus

I just wanted to pop back in and say "Thanks" to all of you who took time to read and/or respond to my post. I did the Capilo Avocodo w/honey, rinsed. Capilo Avocodo w/Coconut cream & coconut Oil, rinsed. Then Elucence w/honey. My hair is back to normal now. :clapping: I think Im going to sep back from the Indigo and do the recipe I used for henna gloss, but let the henna release next time. That way when i indigo, if i have another mishap.. I'll know its the indigo.

@nappywomyn- My hands are still moist, not as moist as before mind you. But they are moist. I put the EPO on one foot and even though I've been in the shower off and on all day, it's not ashy. Now that other foot *and Im :blush: to say it* looks like it belongs to a baker. Anyways, I going to save some of the strands that fell out and put EPO on them. I'll place them in a bag and see what happens. I'll PM you.

Lotus

Just thought I'd follow up. I used the rest of my batch of henna yesterday and added some more things to it. All is well :yep:. In additon to originally not having enough moisturizing things in the mix.. I think it was too thick. So this time I added:

Buttermilk *because I left my yogurt over my Aunts house*, Alma Oil, Soy Lethecin, Honey, more Coconut Cream and more Indigo.

I know I said I wasnt going to add more Indigo, but I have a couple of horrid reddish-brown streaks *thanks Grandaddy/Mom* in the back of my head... and I want them gone.