Help, I flat Ironed my natural hair for a trim and now it does not Curl Back Up!!!

Re: Help, I flat Ironed my natural hair for a trim and now it does not Curl Back Up!!

On the suggestion with the beer rinse u could you ceramide-rich oils and products; beer which has barley in it is rich n ceramides and they help with damage made to the cuticle this combined with protein should help. Give your hair some time b/4 u decide if you want 2 cut some ppl do revert back but if after 2 months of intense babying it hasn't reverted then the damage is probably permanent.

Re: Help, I flat Ironed my natural hair for a trim and now it does not Curl Back Up!!

----------------------------------------

Last edited:

I have good news. I just called the salon and the stylist said that he will give me a deep treatment complimentary to try to get the curls back.

there is no straight answer i can give you on this. it may revert back, it may not. im not going to lie to you.

the best thing you can do now is keep your protein/moisture balance up and deal with the pieces that may or may not revert. you dont have to cut them off if you dont want to.

but this is why i will never go to a salon to get my hair straightened. they have one goal: GET IT STRAIGHT. no matter how much heat they have to use to do it.

and it's heat damage is like having sex, yes you can only just do it one time and get pregnant just like you can flat iron that one time only and get damage.

but if you decide to flat iron in the future, do it yourself.

Thanks empressri! I agree with you 110%. The only reason that I flat-ironed in the first place was to clip my ends. Going forward I will just have to trim in a curly state.

In my experience, at the salon, serums and/or oil sheen is used. It's possible that your hair needs to be thoroughly cleansed to allow maximum water penetration to revert your curls.

Try a deep conditioning treatment. I had the same problem when blow drying my hair. My hair for the most part, did go back to its normal curl pattern but not all of it. I cowashed after, but after a DC treatment or so you should start seeing it go back and just keeping it moisturised everyday as per usual can help it go back if you haven't got any heat damage from it. I hope this helps!

*hugs Ready* Hang in there. I recently had the same thing happen to me around the last week of April. And it was only to trim my ends as well. As she was insistent to straighten my hair.
Damn lady straighten my hair with a marcel iron : /

Dont cut your hair just yet. Just take good care of it.

*takes a note about washing hair in beer*. I might do that when I take the crochet braids out*

This has happened to me before. I suggest a moderate to heavy protein treatment (aphogee, dudley drc). I'd also try a few co-washes a week (maybe one or two). Although I have too tell you that this might not be completely effective. No matter what I did, my hair pattern didn't come back in some spots after the heat damage and I had to gradually cut off the damaged hair as my hair grew. Good luck and HTH!

Sent from my iPod touch using LHCF

Wow I didn't know going full out natural was that damaging when using heat. What are you guys setting your temperature on? HELL? :lol: but seriously though I'm not 100% natural yet, just hit a year post and my hair curls right up with no damage or anything (except the relaxed ends still hanging on) but I flat iron biweekly and no problems yet. Best of luck to you OP. I hope this doesn't happen to me.

Try clarifying then doing a hard protein tx. Afterwards, do a very moisturizing DC. You might have to do light-moderate protein txs throughout the next couple of months.

A lot of ladies have reported having heat damage after just one time using heat, try not to feel too bad. At least now you know your hair's limit -- it's a part of the journey.

Next time you wanna straighten, maybe you can try it at home and use lots of cones and heat protectant beforehand. GL!!

Oh, and good that he's gonna give you a complimentary DC. Is it gonna be a protein tx?

Last edited:

OP, I'm a newbie to the forum but I have flatironed my hair and it reverted back. One flat iron should not be that damaging to the hair. To the member who doesn't believe as soon as I figure out how to post pics I will. I have one flat ironed with weave and my whole head straight in another pic.

^^^Maybe for your hair, one time is not enough. But there are many women who come to the hairboards for help with heat damage after ONE encounter with heat.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but, as we all know, what works for one head doesn't work for another. And I would hate for someone lurking to think otherwise.

ETA: I'm not anti-heat. But it would be unfortunate for some lady to do permanent damage to her hair by believing that one time won't hurt.

Last edited:

^^^Maybe for your hair, one time is not enough. But there are many women who come to the hairboards for help with heat damage after ONE encounter with heat.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but, as we all know, what works for one head doesn't work for another. And I would hate for someone lurking to think otherwise.

ETA: I'm not anti-heat. But it would be unfortunate for some lady to do permanent damage to her hair by believing that one time won't hurt.

ITA....I'm not anti-heat either. I've flat ironed my own hair w/o any problems. I just don't think "heat damaged" hair will revert. If your hair reverts, then I don't believe it was "heat damaged" in the first place.

I have good news. I just called the salon and the stylist said that he will give me a deep treatment complimentary to try to get the curls back.

yaaay!! Good for you, hope it works...possibly before and after pics:look:???

Wow I didn't know going full out natural was that damaging when using heat. What are you guys setting your temperature on? HELL? :lol: but seriously though I'm not 100% natural yet, just hit a year post and my hair curls right up with no damage or anything (except the relaxed ends still hanging on) but I flat iron biweekly and no problems yet. Best of luck to you OP. I hope this doesn't happen to me.

Whether your hair is natural or relaxed you should be concerned with the temp setting on the flat-iron or marcel iron. You can burn your hair regardless.

This is definitely a learning experience for me. I classify my hair as a 4A or 4B it does not take much effort to straighten my hair. Temp used should be customized based on the density, courseness/texture, etc. Everyone's natural hair is different and that is why the hair typing system is not an absolute science.

My strands are fine with a medium fullness so my hair may not need the extreme temp on the flat-iron. Like someone mentioned before in the salon most stylists MO (motivation) is to get the hair straight. They just see afro hair and they may get intimidated and just go at it with the heat like it's nobodys business:lachen:. They often do not consider that each natural head of hair needs to be handled different.

For me protecting the integrity of my natural curl pattern is important. Otherwise, if I wanted straight hair I would have just stayed relaxed.

If you are flat-ironing your own hair at home chances are you are not using the highest setting, being more careful, and using a heat protectant.

Happy Hair Journey

Last edited:

Try clarifying then doing a hard protein tx. Afterwards, do a very moisturizing DC. You might have to do light-moderate protein txs throughout the next couple of months.

A lot of ladies have reported having heat damage after just one time using heat, try not to feel too bad. At least now you know your hair's limit -- it's a part of the journey.

Next time you wanna straighten, maybe you can try it at home and use lots of cones and heat protectant beforehand. GL!!

Oh, and good that he's gonna give you a complimentary DC. Is it gonna be a protein tx?

Thanks, I am not sure if it's a protein treatment, he said DC. So, when I go there I am going to ask him before he applys. I think going forward that I would definitely do my own hair.

I only want to go to a salon if I need a trim or a special style.

yaaay!! Good for you, hope it works...possibly before and after pics:look:???

I'm not sure how to upload pictures on this forum as yet but, I will try to show some over the weekend.

You should flatiron your hair with no more than 150 degrees C/ 302F (although you could probably go higher with a really good heat protectant if you are willing to chance it) if you want your hair to return to its normal state.

Here is a really good post that explains why
http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2009/05/straightening-factshow-hot-is-too-hot.html

At that temp it's not even worth it for me to try. Heck, my hair reverts at 380 degrees with Sabino and 18-50 million other cones on my head. I use 415-425 degrees and haven't had a problem yet (though this doesn't mean I don't hyperventilate when it's time to wash). It is genuinely imperative that you know what's best for your own head :yep:.

Back