Help! Dry Roots!

Jemineye

Hi. Me again. Asking for advice. So, I have 4b/a texture hair which is relaxed at the moment. I'm going through what a friend of mine calls a "trial and error" period and attempting to see what works for my hair.

I condition once a week, shampoo once every two weeks. I use Profective Break Free and Healthy Ends in my hair every day, however, I've found that my roots feel very hard, as if the moisture has completely fallen off them even though the rest of the strands feel fine. Could anyone reccommend a product to amend this. I put a bit of Castor Oil on it today and it feels slightly better, but if anyone gets this and has found anything else to be of use, that'd be great.

Americka

How often do you deep condition? And what products do you use to deep condition? For me, dc'ing (along with adding ceramides to my regimen) has made a tremendous difference.

Jemineye

I deep condition once a week using the Organic Root Stimulator Replenishing Coniditioner.

What are ceramides?

RocStar

Maybe try adding oil (like castor oil) in your deep conditioners...also, applying your deep conditioner like a relaxer (in sections) can assist in making sure your roots get conditioned.

Good luck!

Americka

I deep condition once a week using the Organic Root Stimulator Replenishing Coniditioner.

What are ceramides?

This post fully explains what ceramides are and how they benefit hair, particularly relaxed hair. It also contains a list of products with ceramides. Co-washing is washing your hair with conditioner rather than shampoo.

Americka

Maybe try adding oil (like castor oil) in your deep conditioners...also, applying your deep conditioner like a relaxer (in sections) can assist in making sure your roots get conditioned.

Good luck!

Excellent advice regarding adding oil to dcs and on applying dcs!

flowinlocks

Good luck!

Have you tried cowashing?

herbal essence's long term relationship leave-in softens up my hair no matter what

These are my three favorite things to do when my roots are super dry. Usually it's when it's almost time for my touch up.

I cowash with Aussie Moist or Suave Humectant, air dry then apply HH LTR root to tip then seal with Castor oil.

Doing this has works wonders for me.

Last edited:

Jemineye

Thanks for the info. I have castor oil at the moment so I'ma add it when I next condition and see what happens. If that shows no improvement, I'll try the co-wash.

Geminigirl

also something simple that I don't see mentiond and I LOVE is scalp masages, get that scalp awake and move your oils around. maybe after you put your DC in you can massage it in really good for a few minutes. Just anyways you can incoporate scalp massages into your routine the bettter.

What kind of Castor oil do you have? Have you tries JBCO(Jamacian Black Castor oil) it is the best and will keep your new growth soft and moisturized,

Jemineye

I dunno if they sell the Jamaican Black version in the country. I'm in the UK.
I have the Afrotic one right now.

taz007

I like the idea of apply conditioner to the roots like you would apply a relaxer. I can see how one could go through a LOT of conditioner though ...

Jemineye

So the castor oil doesn't seem to be doing me any favours, guys. As soon as I go to bed and wake up in the morning, the roots still feel dry.