Help!! braids are thinning my hair

brandy

I've noticed that my hair at the front of my head is thinning out because of constant braids!
What do I do? Should I stop braiding or get conrows instead? I will appreciate all your suggestions. Thanks in advance

karezone

Give your hair a rest from braids. Give the front a little extra TLC as in massage, extra oils, and gentle treatment.

AnjelLuvs

thats why I dont really like braids, because they always break my hair, and they dont seem to do any good for me

Dreamn

Chasing the Unicorn
[ QUOTE ]
thats why I dont really like braids, because they always break my hair, and they dont seem to do any good for me

[/ QUOTE ]

DITTO

soulchild

[ QUOTE ]
Give your hair a rest from braids. Give the front a little extra TLC as in massage, extra oils, and gentle treatment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good advice. And you shouldn't do the cornrows they might make it worse

melodee

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

DITTO

[/ QUOTE ]

As we always say at the LHCF, every head of hair is different. I personally love braids and once I figured out that hair was supposed to shed normally, I've been fine with them. My hair doesn't ever thin, but the hairline is something that needs constant care and a GOOD braider who knows not to pull too tight. I've gotten alot of growth, and braiods have allowed me to keep my hands off and let it grow. BUT, if you feel that braids are seriously thinning your hair, then you should give it a break. I always give myself a at least a month off between braid styles so that I can deep condition. I have talked to some whose hair doesn't do well in braids. It's like some ladies swear by LUST and Pantene S&S, and I feel these conditioners do nothing for my hair.
BTW, what type of braids do you have? Micros can really thin you out and put alot of stress on the strands.

A

AmilLion

[ QUOTE ]
I've noticed that my hair at the front of my head is thinning out because of constant braids!
What do I do? Should I stop braiding or get conrows instead? I will appreciate all your suggestions. Thanks in advance

[/ QUOTE ]

I say stop with the braids before you suffer from traction alopecia.

nita4

Brandy, years ago I wore braids all the time and even though my hair grow to shoulder blade length, it thinned. Give your hair a break from the braids.

LABETT

we have opposite problems I am currently in braid and wearing braids has made my hair thicker and my
hair line has grown back.
I use nioxin follice booster and profectiv
anti-thinning circulant stimulant on my hair line.
I usually wait three to four weeks between braiding my hair.

licutiexx

You should space out the time in which you get braids. Let's say you keep the braids in for 2 months well you should let your hair rest for about 1 1/2 or 2 months and then put them back in

SilkyandSmooth

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. I just took my braids out, and my hair is noticeably thinner.I will never put another braid in my hair again.