Help!!! 1st time Hair Coloring at home

sweetdreams23

Hello Ladies,

I really want to dye my hair sometime this summer

I am a 4a/4b natural with dark/black hair.

I wanna do a deep reddish color

I'm attaching pictures of what my hair looks like and some examples of what id like to end with.

I like being subtle...super boldness doesn't fit personality-wise....

Anyways, I purchased two boxes of Garnier Nutrisse Intense Color in Dark Intense color.... but now I'm wondering if I should have picked the Medium Intense color given how dark my natural hair color.

Any suggestions?
Should I pick a different brand?
Tips on the coloring process?

Im really new to this but I can't really afford to be running to a salon. I got bills I'm trying to pay off!

Attachments

• image-2550052099.jpg
    image-2550052099.jpg
    387.6 KB · Views: 52
  • image-3675608963.jpg
    image-3675608963.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 51
  • image-135603449.jpg
    image-135603449.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 57
  • image-3268364426.jpg
    image-3268364426.jpg
    357.6 KB · Views: 64
  • image-645302251.jpg
    image-645302251.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 62

koolkittychick

When I was coloring my hair at home, I found that it was extremely easy to get a nice red result from home color kits, since dark hair goes from dark to red before passing on to the blondes in the coloring process. If the box you purchased has a color chart on it (little pictures on the back, top or sides that show your result depending on your natural color), I would go by them plus a shade darker, since you are natural and your cuticle (outer hair shaft layer) should be more closed than relaxed hair if it's in good condition. Do a strand test before you color (snip a small section from behind your ear or nape and color it per the instructions on the box) to get the timing right, and you should have no problems.

Good luck!

sweetdreams23

When I was coloring my hair at home, I found that it was extremely easy to get a nice red result from home color kits, since dark hair goes from dark to red before passing on to the blondes in the coloring process. If the box you purchased has a color chart on it (little pictures on the back, top or sides that show your result depending on your natural color), I would go by them plus a shade darker, since you are natural and your cuticle (outer hair shaft layer) should be more closed than relaxed hair if it's in good condition. Do a strand test before you color (snip a small section from behind your ear or nape and color it per the instructions on the box) to get the timing right, and you should have no problems.

Good luck!

Thanks! I was wondering about the whole the shading since there's no chemical in my hair.

Saga

The Generous Queen
When I wanted burgundy I lightened my nearly black hair to a medium brown, then months later went over it with Mani Panic Hot Pink for a reddish tint to the brown hair. It came out good, but didn't last because manic panic bleeds out with each wash.

So you can either try going straight to red, or simply go to brown and adjust the color to your liking so you get exactly the shade u want.

Theresamonet

I don't think you should use the box color you purchased. I've never had good experiences with grocery store dyes. Go to Sally's and pick up some professional color and developer.

I've used the loreal excellence hicolor on a friend with great results. She got just the look you are going for.

sweetdreams23

I don't think you should use the box color you purchased. I've never had good experiences with grocery store dyes. Go to Sally's and pick up some professional color and developer.

I've used the loreal excellence hicolor on a friend with great results. She got just the look you are going for.

I saw this YouTube video of this middle eastern girl who did the exact color I want too but she used 120 mls of l'oreal mega reds in mr8 and l'oreal Oreo developer in 30 volume....and left it in her hair for 2 hours!

I almost wanted to go that route BUT... 2 hours seems too long. what would u suggest?

sweetdreams23

I saw this YouTube video of this middle eastern girl who did the exact color I want too but she used 120 mls of l'oreal mega reds in mr8 and l'oreal Oreo developer in 30 volume....and left it in her hair for 2 hours!

I almost wanted to go that route BUT... 2 hours seems too long. what would u suggest?

Bumpity bump bump

crlsweetie912

Bumpity bump bump

I don't think you should two hours.....I wouldn't go more than an hour. Sally's has some really good professional colors....the clariol professional and the ion brands are really good. I suggest you do the 30 developer because you want lift.....check your hair after about 1/2 hr to check how light it has gotten....

outspokenwallflower

I have to agree with those who recommend a 'professional' brand... I've tried box dyes, some good some bad, but have wound up with the most successful results using professional brands with accompanying developer. Box swatches are almost NEVER true to shade.

How vibrant/visible do you want the red to be? I wouldn't recommend going any lighter than 2 levels from your current color. The developer volume you use is important two... 20 vol is the standard 2 level lift while 30 is 3 levels... such and so on. If you use 20 volume, you may have to leave it in your hair for quite a bit of time (like crlsweetie said, no more than an hour) to achieve your desired shade; just where your hair is at after 30-40 minutes.

The Loreal Mega Reds, Loreal Hi Color, etc. should achieve visible results for you easily, but like I said, depending on vibrancy, you may need 30 volume. Other brands I like for color is Redken, Alter Ego, etc.

sweetdreams23

I don't think you should two hours.....I wouldn't go more than an hour. Sally's has some really good professional colors....the clariol professional and the ion brands are really good. I suggest you do the 30 developer because you want lift.....check your hair after about 1/2 hr to check how light it has gotten....

...Sounds like a plan...I did keep my receipts for the Garnier stuff...

sweetdreams23

I have to agree with those who recommend a 'professional' brand... I've tried box dyes, some good some bad, but have wound up with the most successful results using professional brands with accompanying developer. Box swatches are almost NEVER true to shade.

How vibrant/visible do you want the red to be? I wouldn't recommend going any lighter than 2 levels from your current color. The developer volume you use is important two... 20 vol is the standard 2 level lift while 30 is 3 levels... such and so on. If you use 20 volume, you may have to leave it in your hair for quite a bit of time (like crlsweetie said, no more than an hour) to achieve your desired shade; just where your hair is at after 30-40 minutes.

The Loreal Mega Reds, Loreal Hi Color, etc. should achieve visible results for you easily, but like I said, depending on vibrancy, you may need 30 volume. Other brands I like for color is Redken, Alter Ego, etc.

Thanks! I'll post my results this weekend!