Heating your deep conditioner...

Do you heat your deep conditioner BEFORE applying it to your hair? Method?

• No.

Votes: 67 73.6%
  • Sometimes/Yes: Microwave

Votes: 10 11.0%
  • Sometimes/Yes: Bowl of hot water

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Sometimes/Yes: Stove

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sometimes/Yes: Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Y'all so crazy!

Votes: 16 17.6%

• Total voters

marlajoyw

Morning ladies,

Out of curiosity...

Mixed up a dc earlier, and threw it in the microwave to warm it before putting it on my hair. Just wondering how many other ladies warm their dc before applying it (as opposed to a heat cap, steamer, dryer, etc), and what method you use to heat it,

a) Microwave,

b) By placing the container in a bowl of warm/hot water,

c) Telekinesis :)look:),

d) Stove (didn't think anyone would say yes to this but just in case),

e) Other.

Enjoy your day and thanks in advance! :)

Hmm...I never thought to heat up my DC prior to applying. I've only ever done it with my oils. Something to try.

When I can't use my steamer I will warm the conditioner in the microwave then add oil, or I will put hot water (hotter than tap water) in a cond/oil mix and apply to hair. Then sit under hooded dryer with a "homegrown steam" turban and plastic cap.

Nope, when I was a mixologist I did, but now I just apply it in sections, and let the heating cap do it's job.

Personally I wouldn't do it. This ain't food you warming up. They use chemicals in these products that probably should not be nuked in a microwave. For instance, in many commercial hair products, they use preservatives that will release formaldehyde gas when heated up. I actually found an article (that I can no longer find now) that I submitted to Nappturality explaining the danger of said ingredients. Here is a snippet:

Q: Are over-the-counter and professional chemicals in the beauty industry regulated?

A: No FDA approval is needed to put anything in a product.

Companies are required by law to regulate themselves. If they find a defect or problem with their product, they are supposed to notify the public and change or alter the chemical. Most manufacturers do not do that.

The FDA did finally provide some regulation after severe problems arose with formaldehyde in fingernail polish. There were a lot of problems with people’s nails. So because of its side effects, the FDA banned formaldehyde from being used in cosmetics in the United States.

Q: Is there a relatively safe amount of formaldehyde that could be used?

A: You should not use more than .02 percent of formaldehyde in any cosmetic product.

Q: Is this regulated or monitored?

No, it is not! Chemical companies and beauty manufacturers are continuing to use formaldehyde under different names. The five most common terms to watch for are: diazolidinyl urea; imidazolidinyl urea; quarterinium-15; DMDM hydantoin; 2-bromo; and 2-nitropropane 1.

When heat is applied, these chemicals are altered and release formaldehyde into the air as gas.

Q: Don’t manufacturers tell you their products are safe?

A: Yes. But remember that when you alter or change chemicals, they actually become something else. When they change, they release formaldehyde into the air.
I wouldn't do it. I understand we want to play kitchen mix master but you have to be careful.

ms-gg,

Thanks for that. Definitely food for thought. Does that mean that you don't heat products that you put on your hair at all? Your post would lead me to think that regardless of when the product was heated (whether before in the microwave, warm water, et al, OR after by way of heat cap, steamer, dryer, etc), the end result would be the release of chemicals no? :ohwell: What's your take?

Thanks again!

Yea, I was also going to ask, how is this different from deep conditioning your hair with heat? Wouldn't that be dangerous also?

I don't heat my dc! The thought never cross my mind! I would be afraid that the product would not look or perform the same! It also may shorten the shelf life of the product!

Don't heat it to boiling and drying out around the edges, not even bubbly. If I use the microwave it is for no longer than 30 seconds, more like 15 secs. depending on how much is in the container. I want it warm, not hot.

Thanks for the heads-up.

I never considered this but since reading the info ms-gg gave us I don't plan on doing it. I switched DCing with heat to over night DCs because the results were better but now i know it could be healthier, idk.

I did nuke my mixes for about a year or two when I found the forum in 08-09, maybe longer. I just starting steaming nearly a year ago, that's the only reason I don't warm my conditioners anymore. I got the idea from a member/former idk..Stargazer613 (i think). Beautiful natural head of hair.

Don't heat it to boiling and drying out around the edges, not even bubbly. If I use the microwave it is for no longer than 30 seconds, more like 15 secs. depending on how much is in the container. I want it warm, not hot.

Thanks for the heads-up.

This is what I do as well.

ms-gg however now has me intrigued. I would think that if the product/mixture reacts to heat off your head, it would stand to reason that it would do the same on your head as well no? If you were going to heat your dc at all, wouldn't it be safer to heat it before it went on your hair and have any formaldehyde given off dissipate, instead of having it heated while on your head where you can't 'escape'? :perplexed Also, this wouldn't apply to deep conditioners made with only natural ingredients (honey, olive oil, shea butter, etc) would it? I can't see that it would.

Would love to hear what all you ladies think about this, please feel free to chime in. :)

I use a lot of organic and natural hair products. When I would add honey to my dc's I would use a candle warmer to heat them up. Then the bowl to the candle warmer broke and I haven't done it since then :(

I'm not going to pretend like I am a scientist, or have any training in the sciences beyond the basics in college and in high school. All I know is, it is true that companies use formaldehyde in products (allegedly in small doses but you will see them listed at various positions on a product) and according to this biochemist, they will release f. gas when they are heated.

Will they release this gas when you put a shower cap on your head to deep condition? I don't know. They put so much crap in our products and foods that are dangerous and 20 years from now they finally come out and ban them from being used in our products. All I can do is pass along the info and everyone has to decide to do with it what they want. :)

By the way, here is the bottom half of that article for those who are curious:

Q: What about clothes, draperies, carpets, upholstery or Formica?

A: These are all safe as long as they aren’t exposed to heat. Formaldehyde is probably one of the most dangerous chemicals that we deal with in the beauty industry, and most people are totally unaware of it.

After speaking with a friend of mine who is a mortician, I asked him how he protects himself when he uses formaldehyde. He uses chemical aprons that go all the way to the floor, so chemicals cannot penetrate them. Also, he wears a drape that protects his arms and hands, and goggles and a facemask. He uses a gas mask because paper masks don’t make a difference.

If a client or hairdresser breathes formaldehyde gas through a paper mask, they will absorb it into their body.

Q: What are some of the side effects of formaldehyde gas?

A: Asthma, cancer, bronchitis, cellular mutation, killing of human cells, stopping new cell development. Formaldehyde will kill anything it comes in contact with.

Q: What about night creams?

A: Formaldehyde is used in a lot of night creams in different forms. One of the more prevalent forms of formaldehyde is quarternarium-15. It is listed as a preservative in cosmetics and hair products and in some conditioners, moisturizers and reconstructors, but it is in fact a chemical that will release formaldehyde when heat is applied.

Q: Anytime you blow-dry hair or use the heat of a flat iron, gases are released?

A: Yes. Some people are more sensitive than others to the trace amounts of formaldehyde released. But over time there can be health issues, eye and skin irritation, etc.

Wow. Scary. I didn't know that the quarternarium-15 was a formaldehyde. Not crazy with ingredients, but I have been trying to use more natural stuff (they work better for me). And some of the natural companies definately use some unnatural stuff. But thats another thread. Just scary since most of us use products with heat. Before I buy online, I google the words I can't pronounce, and usually it's some chemical that can cause issues.

I'm not going to pretend like I am a scientist, or have any training in the sciences beyond the basics in college and in high school. All I know is, it is true that companies use formaldehyde in products (allegedly in small doses but you will see them listed at various positions on a product) and according to this biochemist, they will release f. gas when they are heated.

Will they release this gas when you put a shower cap on your head to deep condition? I don't know. They put so much crap in our products and foods that are dangerous and 20 years from now they finally come out and ban them from being used in our products. All I can do is pass along the info and everyone has to decide to do with it what they want. :)

I would also think because microwave radiation is a different kind of heat than say, a steamer or hooded dryer.

Chemicals + the radiation of a microwave = doesn't seem so great to me.

I now sit under a dryer for my DCing, in the past I have warmed oils and butters in the microwave or in hot water, but never the conditioner. I always felt that nuking the conditioner removed some of its goodness as opposed to dry heat. Eventually I stopped heating up oils and butters altogether.

Last edited:
I think just the opposite. I don't mind nuking the conditioner, but I want to keep the nutrients intact for my oils and natural ingredients, so I don't nuke them.

RayRayFurious I took the article, or the intent of the article to mean any type of heat applied to these chemicals.

I've done it using a double boiler on the stove. when mixing oils, honey, etc to my conditioners.

I don't have a hooded dryer at home, so this is the next best think for me.

Microwaving change more than you all think. It takes away some vitamins and disease fighting benefits that God has put in our food to keep us, cancer, diabetes, etc, free.

So no I wouldnt heat it in the microwave.

No you should not do this. Ingredients have a low-high temp range... when an ingredient reaches the high temp it starts to break down (rendering it ineffective)/oxidize or deactivates. Also certain preservatives deactivate when they reach a certain temp which you do not want in a hydrous (with water) product because it will them become a breeding ground for bugs.

If you are worried about releasing formaldehyde gas.... copy and paste the conditioners ingredients here (or just tell me the conditioner and I'll google the ingredients) and i'll tell you which or if any of the ingredients contain formaldehyde.

I have a steamer and I warm up my conditioner while its on my noggin

I never thought to warm up the conditioner before applying it

Microwaving change more than you all think. It takes away some vitamins and disease fighting benefits that God has put in our food to keep us, cancer, diabetes, etc, free.

So no I wouldnt heat it in the microwave.

I feel the same way about heating food in the microwave, but not my conditioner.

Back