Heat Damage?

Lilpretty1125

I was just looking at the thread that Poohbear started regarding pressing her hair recently. I too, just did the big chop and my hair is about 3-4 inches all over.
For Mother's Day, I flatironed my hair :confused: and am still wearing the style today. (I planned on wearing it this way until Wednesday when I will wash and deep condition)
However, I guess after reading her post I had my own concerns. Will I experience heat damage? :perplexed What exactly should I do on my wash day to increase my chances of my "napptural" hair coming back as it was before I flat-ironed. :(

I thought it was O.K. to use heat every now and then when you're natural. Are there any naturals or texturized heads who occasionally use heat to straighten? I'd greatly appreciate any comments or suggestions :confused:

hopeful

I'm newly natural too (3 months) and I have yet to use heat. Well once I used a cool blow-dryer for like 5 minutes. Anyway, I know lots of natural here use heat with success. But some have suffered damage. The thing is this, even if you get great advice and wonderful success stories I would just say, please use heat with caution. Everybody's hair is different and can handle different levels of manipulation and heat. And some people suffer damage but don't care or notice because they are determined to where their hair straight. So, I wish you luck and hope you get good advice.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I didn't think my hair was damaged from heat until I washed it. My hair has never smelled burnt after straigtening with heat like it did Sunday night when I washed it.

kristina

I'm a natural. I pressed my hair every two weeks last summer- my hair has reverted back to curls every time but in the front I've got some yucky straight strands. I'm not sure if it's heat damage or left over texturizer. I'm cautious now about heat and have decided to stick with flat ironing my hair myself occassionally with a good heat protectant.

BrwnSugaBabee

I am natural, and recently pressed my hair. I believe it is ok to press natural hair but in moderation.Everyone's hair type is different, some naturals are able to press and use heat virtually every day. I am not one of those! LOL. But just because you pressed your natural hair does not mean it will not revert back once washed. You can tell when your hair has been heat damaged, because like poohbear said it will smell burnt, and peices will be breaking off. To be safe I would use a deep conditioning treatment and before pressing use a heat protectant;-) HTH.

:D

Champagne_Wishes

A broke graduate
Lilpretty1125 said:
I was just looking at the thread that Poohbear started regarding pressing her hair recently. I too, just did the big chop and my hair is about 3-4 inches all over.
For Mother's Day, I flatironed my hair :confused: and am still wearing the style today. (I planned on wearing it this way until Wednesday when I will wash and deep condition)
However, I guess after reading her post I had my own concerns. Will I experience heat damage? :perplexed What exactly should I do on my wash day to increase my chances of my "napptural" hair coming back as it was before I flat-ironed. :(

I thought it was O.K. to use heat every now and then when you're natural. Are there any naturals or texturized heads who occasionally use heat to straighten? I'd greatly appreciate any comments or suggestions :confused:

Well to lessen the chance of heat damage, you might wanna not use the highest setting and a good heat protectant. Mind you, everyone hair can be fried at different temperatures so you have to play it safe.

mkstar826

supersonic
If your hair is already damaged, it won't matter what you do on wash day. Direct high heat, like that of a pressing comb or flat-iron, where it's basically cooking your hair is always going to be a gamble. Some have hair that can take it and some do not. But eventually, it will take it's toll.

locabouthair

This may be a stupid question but if you just use a hooded dryer once a week for your deep conditioning is this bad? Isn't it better to use heat for your deep conditioning?

balisi

I've straightened my hair with a flat iron only twice in the past five months, thankfully with no problems. I refuse to use a pressing comb anymore, since flat irons do such a wonderful job. I wouldn't worry about it, as I'm sure your hair is just fine. In the future, deep condition first, use less heat and a heat protectant when you straighten.

mkstar826

supersonic
locabouthair said:
This may be a stupid question but if you just use a hooded dryer once a week for your deep conditioning is this bad? Isn't it better to use heat for your deep conditioning?

that's indirect heat which is not bad. it's the type of heat like pressing, flat-ironing, or even blowdryers with a comb-attachment that you should be careful about becase your applying it directly to your hair and you can potentially damage it and burn your hair straight.

EbonyEyes

mkstar826 said:
If your hair is already damaged, it won't matter what you do on wash day. Direct high heat, like that of a pressing comb or flat-iron, where it's basically cooking your hair is always going to be a gamble. Some have hair that can take it and some do not. But eventually, it will take it's toll.

Gamble...that's the key word. That's what I felt I was doing when I got my hair pressed for braids. When it was time to wash my hair, I had my fingers crossed and I was praying that my hair would revert back. When the water hit my hair, the curls came back with a vengence. Thankfully, there was not a straight piece in sight and no damaged ends.

I was lucky this time but there is no telling what would happen next time. I really like the braids I got, but I didn't like that I had to get my hair pressed. So, I don't see me getting braids again anytime soon until I find someone who is willing to braid my hair in its natural state.

-Ebony

Xcellence2

As with everything else, I think it depends on your head of hair and how much heat you use. My sister's hair is brastrap +++ and she is 100% natural and she gets her hair pressed by a cosmotologist for 2-3 years on a monthly basis. She has no heat damage. I doubt straightening your hair for a special occassion will damage your hair. From this board, you have learned tons of tips to protect it so as long as you did not overdo the heat, you should be okay.