Heat Damage.

katblack

I flatironed my hair with a flatiron called Fahrenheit, and I experienced some loosening of my hair texture. I wasn't as mad as the first time this happened, but I am starting to realise that even heat damage may not be permanent.
Like I said my hair seems looser and less thick, but something similar happened before. With frequent deep treatments and of course no flatironing, I regained my normal texture with 4-5 months.
Has this happened to anyone else?
O yea, I returned that flatiron, made my hair stink of smoke:perplexed.

Shananyganz

Well...kinda..but not exactly. I have experienced texture loosening from a recent run with heat. Brief background:: I braided my hair with human hair extensions in the front, weave in the back; to "maintain" the style...I had to put heat to the human hair (the hair started off wavy and I didn’t like it..too poufy) via flat ironing. WELL...not being QUITE aware (even though I tried to be careful), I got some of my front hair in the flat iron occasionally (neglect behavior on my part). Long story short…I didn’t experience heat damage where my strands were straight, BUT my texture was noticeably (at least in my eyes) looser.

I don’t take issue with this, reason being, I know it could be so much worse; however, I may have to pass on straight braid extensions with human hair going forward. With that said..I HAVE been noticing that with my DC’s my texture is neither continuing to loosen or tighten..it is just maintaining, but the curl is more defined and that is fine with me. I have read other LHCF ladies suggest protein treatments to combat heat damage, so maybe that is why my hair is as it is...I DC with protein.

I rambled, but I hope I answered your question.

~S~

Last edited:

naturalgyrl5199

Its happened to me...the iron was too hot...I OVERestimated my curls! I have one bone straight piece of hair on the side of my head right now:wallbash:....I don't plan on cutting it...but no wash n go's for me....As far as the rest of my head I have some texture loosening, but my hair returned back to its tighter coily self....:drunk:

katblack

Shananyganz, yes thanks for the story. It's nice to hear that it didn't bother you. Like yourself the first time it happened to me I noticed, even though it was ever so slight, I noticed. Now I just keep doing what I've been doing and just baby my hair.

Naturalgyrl5199, my iron must have been too HOT also. My hair smelled burnt for the whole two days that I kept it straight. The things that I do to my hair:(

blazingthru

I am really hoping my protein conditioning will work. I am going in braids for a while my own hair nothing added and deep condition weekly to combat this heat damage to my hair. I miss my own hair so much. I got heat damage all throughtout my hair.

Ladybelle

This happened to me a few months back, I let the flat iron get to dayum hot and although I didn't smell the burnt/smokey smell, I could feel that my hair was damaged. I slathered my hair with castor oil overnight, deep conditioned and stayed away from heat until this weekend. My hair has recovered nicely and I intend to keep heat to a minimum, it's the devil!