heat damage.. (piics)

mostamaziing

Hi I'm Chrissy (✿◠‿◠)
embarrassing heat damage>=( (piics)

soo ive been trying out this -no direct heat- method for a month now, and heres why,

nooo.jpg

:whyme:this is my poor excuse of a flat iron job done 9/25/10:cry3::cry3:

after physically taking a pic of my horrid left side and seeing it ihad to face the fact that iwas doing something wrong.:sad: my right side has alwaays been longer and dont have much of a problem with it.

so throughout the whole month of october idid my research and basically began alternating between DC/Cowashing twiice weekly, moisturizing and sealing, baggying (whole head) every night faithfully, and most importantly laying off my flat iron:rolleyes: iwould just put my wet napps into a big ol bun ect.

results:
DSCN1506-1.jpg

:perplexed this is my hair pressed by a hot comb 11/8/10 :perplexed

ilet my granny press my hair with the heat comb:spinning: iguess ijuss suck at flat ironing lol

sorry irealize ishould have flat ironed so its be a fairer picture comparison :blush: but idont have much patience with my napps anymore -__-

see how the ends of my hair look dead and dull.?!:nono:
but notice how my sides really havent gotten much length but my back has really grown:grin: ithink its from tight ponytails =/ my hairline is looking rough as hell too.:nono:

as of now im back to wet bunning &baggying nightly. iwanna wear my hair straight down in public but not when its damaged looking like this.!!!!!:swearing:

ithink im gonna try wearing my hair in its shrinkage state when its long enough so idont have to deal with seeing this mess. :yawn: lmaoo

Last edited:
I would like to suggest that you consider getting braids or some other style that will allow you to leave your hair alone for a while.

I'm a bunner so I will suggest buns. It helps me a lot at the beginning of my journey and I was bunning 6/7 (DH has been traumatized) during my 1st year of HJ. It's an appropriate style for cold months. Braids are another alternative also.

I would like to suggest that you consider getting braids or some other style that will allow you to leave your hair alone for a while.

imight try half braiding it for awhiile like iuse to.:yep: ihate full head braids -__- then ud notice my head is huuuge.:lachen::lol::lachen::lol::lachen:

I'm a bunner so I will suggest buns. It helps me a lot at the beginning of my journey and I was bunning 6/7 (DH has been traumatized) during my 1st year of HJ. It's an appropriate style for cold months. Braids are another alternative also.

ilovee bunning.!:yep: the only style irefuse to do is weaves and wigs -__-

I also see a difference, but did you cut off the damaged ends? Unless you do that and they are truly damaged (not just dry, which you can fix), you won't see much difference.

I also see a difference, but did you cut off the damaged ends? Unless you do that and they are truly damaged (not just dry, which you can fix), you won't see much difference.

ive been avoiding scissors for awhiile now:ohwell: it just didn't make sense to me to for them (stylist) to keep cutting off my hair every week when it only grows .5 a month -_-

ive been avoiding scissors for awhiile now:ohwell: it just didn't make sense to me to for them (stylist) to keep cutting off my hair every week when it only grows .5 a month -_-

I feel you, I don't trim my hair, and will only do so if I see major split ends or breakage, because I don't see the point when I am growing my hair out. But, you can definitely fry your hair to the point with heat that it isn't able to be saved (I frequently did this when I had a relaxer), and the only way you can get your hair to look healthy again is to cut it off.

I feel you, I don't trim my hair, and will only do so if I see major split ends or breakage, because I don't see the point when I am growing my hair out. But, you can definitely fry your hair to the point with heat that it isn't able to be saved (I frequently did this when I had a relaxer), and the only way you can get your hair to look healthy again is to cut it off.

:nono::nono::nono:
ikinda had a feeling this was my only solution.:fistshake:

:nono::nono::nono:
ikinda had a feeling this was my only solution.:fistshake:

:( Well you can bun or do braids like others have said while the hair is growing out, then cut the damaged ends when your hair is longer so you don't need to sacrifice the length...however, if you keep split ends, they can split up the entire hair shaft and continue to damage your hair.

I agree. While there is a diff between the pics. I believe that just leaving your hair alone for a while would be best. Moisturized your braids and keep it moving :yep:

You definitely proved that the flat iron is truly the devil and very damaging. Now you now to leave it alone and bun it for the winter by adding a phony pony for variety.

You definitely proved that the flat iron is truly the devil and very damaging. Now you now to leave it alone and bun it for the winter by adding a phony pony for variety.

Off topic, but some of ya'll have such a flair for the dramatic. :lol:
Flat irons are not the devil...they're only as good as the person using them. As long as you deep condition beforehand, use heat protectant, do it right (small sections, not too many passes, etc.), get a quality flat iron, (and like all things) do it in moderation, your hair will in all likelihood be fine. The flat iron is not gonna leap into the air and destroy your hair all by itself...it's a tool, not a sentient entity.

Back on topic, OP, I definitely see a difference between the first and second pictures. I agree with the other ladies that you should put it in a low-mani style for a while, just to take a break from it and to let it take a break from you.
But I also have to ask about your technique, as far as flat ironing goes. I think frizzy ends are a common complaint with naturals (are you natural?) who try to straighten, and many times, the ends aren't actually damaged. It's just that the proper technique was not used to straighten them. Or they're just dry, so they end up frizzy. So I'd be really interested in hearing about your technique, what kind of DC you used, what kind of flat iron you used, what temperature you used, how much product you used, and other stuff like that.

I definitely see a postive change, however, can you tell what conditioner you're using? Are you natural or relaxed--I'd assume natural as you're using a pressing comb.

WestNDNBeauty's conditioning method (used with a MOISTURIZING conditioner) plus my steamer have been a great help for me.

Off topic, but some of ya'll have such a flair for the dramatic. :lol:
Flat irons are not the devil...they're only as good as the person using them. As long as you deep condition beforehand, use heat protectant, do it right (small sections, not too many passes, etc.), get a quality flat iron, (and like all things) do it in moderation, your hair will in all likelihood be fine. The flat iron is not gonna leap into the air and destroy your hair all by itself...it's a tool, not a sentient entity.

Back on topic, OP, I definitely see a difference between the first and second pictures. I agree with the other ladies that you should put it in a low-mani style for a while, just to take a break from it and to let it take a break from you.
But I also have to ask about your technique, as far as flat ironing goes. I think frizzy ends are a common complaint with naturals (are you natural?) who try to straighten, and many times, the ends aren't actually damaged. It's just that the proper technique was not used to straighten them. Or they're just dry, so they end up frizzy. So I'd be really interested in hearing about your technique, what kind of DC you used, what kind of flat iron you used, what temperature you used, how much product you used, and other stuff like that.

:lol: ieven said isuck at flat ironing :look: but anywhoo.. my technique of flat iron is.. well.. part/section my hair and spray Silk Elements heat protectant spray and go over it with the flat iron. ithink iset the temp waay too high or something =/ and going over the same piece didnt help squat -__- lmaoo

yess im natural(=

&iDC with ORS olive oil (in the bottle) and use the HerStyler 1.5" Forever Straightener. -it was a past xmas gift-

iused the highest temp to get my hair straightened faster :ohwell: but iguess it kinda back fiired on me..

ive been moisturizing with Redken Anti Snap and sealing with extra virgin coconut oil. iCOwashed pretty frequently with Pure Life Rosemary conditioner.

I definitely see a postive change, however, can you tell what conditioner you're using? Are you natural or relaxed--I'd assume natural as you're using a pressing comb.

WestNDNBeauty's conditioning method (used with a MOISTURIZING conditioner) plus my steamer have been a great help for me.

DC- ORS olive oil replenishing conditioner

CO-WASH- Pure Life rosemary conditioner

and yess ma'am im natural. iwas scared to use the hot comb becuz ithot it was gonna burn the mess outta my hair. but ihad DRENCHED my hair in some heat protestant before my granny started.:lol:

ive been hearing alot about steamers.:drunk: never heard of WestNDNbeauty method before.. off to gooogle >=)

Back