HE hello hydration as a deep conditioner??

Victoria44

Lately i've been alternating between HE hello hydration and ORS deep-penetrating replenishing conditioner as my deep conditioner, but how do i know if either of these are really deep conditioners?

i've noticed that a lot of people use types of hair mayonaises and those tubs labeled "cholestorol..."

do i have to invest in one of these, or a conditioner ACTUALLY labeled "deep conditioner" for me to get an optimal deep condition??

btw, when i deep condition with hello hydration/ORS replenishing i go under the head dryer for 30-45 minutes, OR i wrap my head in a towel for 2-3 hours

To my understanding a rinse out conditioner can never be a deep conditioner regardless of how long you leave it on/heat it/etc. Reason being, the molecules are too large to penetrate the hair shaft like a deep conditioner would.

So essentially leaving a regular conditioner on as a deep conditioner would reap the same results as only leaving it in for those 3 minutes instructed on the bottle. Once it penetrates to its full capacity, thats it. It will not continue to penetrate any deeper.

So yes, I would invest in an actual deep conditioner. But again, this is just to my understanding. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Why don't you use the mask instead of the conditioner? I loved the mask better than the conditioner when i was natural....
BOTD-herbalessencesjpg_e_63d51a6c885c0071b3a74da4341ed27e.jpg

In the "Ask a WL Lady" thread, one of the vets (sorry, I forgot her name!) suggested that folks use a regular condish as a DC. In fact, this practice is a permanent part of her reggie, and she has gorgeous hair. God I wish I could remember her name!

As a 4b'er, mastering the moisture retention game is vital to my length retention, so I deep condition weekly, FAITHFULLY, and I sometimes use rinse out condishes (HH included) as my DC. I think I've finally gotten on top of my hair's moisture needs while doing this, so I really don't think it makes much of a difference. Also, I do sometimes use regular DCs, and honestly, I can't tell much of a difference.

Just my experience. HTH.

Why don't you use the mask instead of the conditioner? I loved the mask better than the conditioner when i was natural....

I've never seen this in the stores, it's not even on their website.

Plus a ton of women use regular conditioners and add honey, honeyquat, ayurvedic powders and whatever else, leave it on and it basically does the same thing as a "real" deep conditioner. I know I've done it and it's come out better that a premade one.

Last edited:
In the "Ask a WL Lady" thread, one of the vets (sorry, I forgot her name!) suggested that folks use a regular condish as a DC. In fact, this practice is a permanent part of her reggie, and she has gorgeous hair. God I wish I could remember her name!

As a 4b'er, mastering the moisture retention game is vital to my length retention, so I deep condition weekly, FAITHFULLY, and I sometimes use rinse out condishes (HH included) as my DC. I think I've finally gotten on top of my hair's moisture needs while doing this, so I really don't think it makes much of a difference. Also, I do sometimes use regular DCs, and honestly, I can't tell much of a difference.

Just my experience. HTH.

I can't tell the difference either when i alternate between my rinse out and my deep conditioner

Plus a ton of women use regular conditioners and add honey, honeyquat, ayurvedic powders and whatever else, leave it on and it basically does the same thing as a "real" deep conditioner. I know I've done it and it's come out better that a premade one.

Thanks! I was thinking about adding EVCO and honey to it

If it's working for your hair then continue using it. If your hair feels great and you are making progress then why stop?....but I may be biased since I don't believe in "deep conditioning".

FOTM Boing Boing says she uses HEHH to DC

I don't think the mask is sold in the United States. When I did a Google search, only the UK and Middle East (Arabia) came up. I have never seen it in my neck of the US.

I've definitely seen this mask selling in stores. It must most definitely be a country thing then, since I know the product range of Herbal Essences vary slightly in the UK from the USA.

It is one of those masks that direct you to only use for 5 minutes though, so I'm not sure how different it really is to the instant conditioner and whether you're missing much. Though, I haven't personally tried it yet, so I wouldn't really know.

Last edited:
LOL I use Hello Hydration as a deep conditioner But I add melted down Shea Butter and oil to it and Whip it up. I sit under my hooded dryer for 15-30 minutes.

I never had a problem with it! Been using it like that for over a year now. I love it! I guess everyones hair is different.

I was wondering about this...the HE HH gives awesome slip and it smells great. I don't mind using this when I co-wash; however, when I straighten my hair, I like to kick up the deep conditioning. Thanks for the info!

Back