Have you Mastered Your Product Regimen?

Have You Mastered Your Product Regimen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Reecie

dsc06830-1-1.jpg

We've all done it, experimented with products we feel we need to try and have been horribly disappointed and/or surprisingly satisfied.

You begin to notice your stash of 25-40 products are starting to dwindle down due to your trial and error process of elimination. After awhile you are left with a few go-to products that leave your hair feeling amazing.

Sooooo.. have YOU done it? Have you found your perfect products? Do you finally have the urge to stay monogamous and committed to your products with no desire to stray (i.e. revert to being a product junkie who is dying for their next disappointing "fix").. please list your favorite products below if you have any for the following categories:

Moisturizing Shampoo
Reconstructing Shampoo
Chelating/Clarifying Shampoo
Protein Conditioner
Moisturizing Conditioner
Protein Treatment
Heat Protectant
Leave In
Serum
Oil

I have my staples, but I do occasionally experiment but it'll usually be with something I think will work for me. For example, I just bought a tube of the new of the Dove treatment conditioner. But Dove worked well for me in the past so I think that this could work well for me now.

Moisturizing Shampoo - I shampoo once a month using Neutrogena's Cream Lather Shampoo
Chelating/Clarifying Shampoo It was Ion Clarifying Shampoo; but, I am going to try VO5's Key Lime version
Moisturizing Conditioner Suave Almond and Shea Butter, Humectant, and Vo5 Moisture Milks in that order
Protein Treatment Aphogee 2-Minute Reconstructor
Heat Protectant I haven't used heat in almost three months; so, it's not applicable yet
Leave In Still on the search for one; I have been using HE LTR as a relaxed head. I'm transitioning and will need something else. Shea Butter may become my leave-in
Oil - Avocado and Coconut

Since I'm transitioning, things will or may change. We shall see.

Last edited:
Yes, I have but I still like to experiment. It doesn't hurt to have "back-ups." :grin:

Moisturizing Shampoo - NTM or Skala
Chelating/Clarifying Shampoo - ORS Creamy Aloe or VO5 Clarifying (poo & con)
Moisturizing Conditioner - Skala Shea Butter, Jaborandi or Aloe Vera
Protein Treatment - Palmer's Deep Conditioning Protein Pack mixed with an egg
Heat Protectant/Serum - Sally's One and Only Argan Oil
Leave In - Mixture of NTM, Lacio Lacio, and Argan Oil or any of Skala's leave ins
Oil - Sunflower (ceramides), Grapeseed (light), and Garlic (DCs)
Pomade - Hollywood Beauty Castor Oil (It's more like a grease, but I love it!)

I feel that I have definitely mastered most of my products for my transitioning hair. I answered that I don't mind testing the water because my taste may change when I'm fully natural.

Moisturizing Shampoo: N/A
Reconstructing Shampoo: N/A
Chelating/Clarifying Shampoo: Burt's Bees
Protein Conditioner: N/A
Moisturizing Conditioner: Silicon Mix (both protein and moisture) with jojoba oil added and Aussie Moist with jojoba oil added
Protein Treatment: N/A
Heat Protectant: N/A (only going to be using heat twice a year)
Leave In: Water/Glycerin mix or Palmer's Hair Milk
Serum: N/A
Oil: Hot Six Oil with jojoba oil added

Moisturizing Shampoo: Organix Tea Tree Mint Hydrating Shampoo
Reconstructing Shampoo: None
Chelating/Clarifying Shampoo: ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo
Protein Conditioner: None
Moisturizing Conditioner: Nexxus Humectress
Protein Treatment: Aphogee 2 Minute or Motions CPR
Heat Protectant: Chi Silk Infusion or Fantasia IC Heat Protector Straightening Spray
Leave In: Lacio Lacio or Pureology Instant Repair Leave In
Serum: Chi Silk Infusion
Oil: Vatika Oil, Castor Oil, and Sunflower Butter in the winter
Moisturizer (I added this one) : Qhemet Biologics Amla and Olive Heavy Cream and TW Protective Bodifying Mist

Although I do have my staple products down and are generally faithful to them, I'm always up for experimentation. I feel like it keeps the journey exciting and fresh.
But I find that the experiments work best when:
1. I only change one product in the reggie at a time. Trying a bunch of new stuff at once makes it hard to figure out what works and what doesn't.
2. I follow the instructions and use the product alone, at least the first few times. After a little while, I try to experiment with adding oils and leaving it on for longer or less time. The only exception is when I use a deep conditioner.
3. I give the product time to work. Using it just one time is generally not enough for my hair.
4. I'm sensible with what I try, and limit my purchases to products with ingredients that I know my hair enjoys.
5. I don't buy anything new until I'm running low on what I already have. It keeps the products from building up.

Great thread, OP! And you have beautiful hair! :grin:

Moisturizing Shampoo - N/A
Reconstructing Shampoo -N/A
Chelating/Clarifying Shampoo - N/A
Protein Conditioner - Aphogee 2 min
Moisturizing Conditioner - GVP Cond. Balm
Protein Treatment - Aphogee 2 min
Heat Protectant - GVP Silk Infusion
Leave In - Proclaim Olive Oil Wrapping Foam and EVCO
Serum - GVP Silk Infusion
Oil - EVCO

Yup I have found my staples and won't be trying anything new....ok I kind of want to try Aubrey Organics White Camellia and their GPB to see if its as lovely as HSR :lachen: but other than that, I'm fine!
Moisturizing Shampoo- GVP of Nexxus Therappe

Protein Conditioner- Lekair Cholesterol
Moisturizing Conditioner- Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose and Vo5 Revitalizing Blackberry Sage Tea Therapy
Protein Treatment- DuoTex

Leave In-diluted Vo5 or Motions Nourish when using heat
Oil- Mix of coconut oil, evoo, sunflower oil and castor oil

Well I'm a product junkie because I love buying and trying out new products. I have found my keepsies though. N/A are for the products I do not use in my regimen.

Moisturizing Shampoo: SOFTSOAP Aloe Vera Moisturizing Hand Soap, Creme Of Nature Ultra Moisturizing Shampoo.
Reconstructing Shampoo: N/A
Chelating/Clarifying Shampoo: N/A; I should get one though, it seems good to have. The closest I have to one is Motions Professional Neutralizing Shampoo because it really cleans and gets rid of my build up well.
Protein Conditioner: JOICO K-PAK Reconstruct Conditioner, SHECARE Deep Reconstructor Mask.
Moisturizing Conditioner: Aussie Moist Conditioner, Tresemme Vitamin E Moisture Rich Conditioner; I'd really like to find good NATURAL products to replace these though.
Protein Treatment: Alberto VO5 Hot Protein Moisturizing Intensive Crème Treatment, Motions CPR Protein Reconstructor.
Heat Protectant: N/A
Leave In: N/A
Oil: Olive Oil; I do not use it often though, just for stretching my relaxers to detangle and in my conditioners if I feel like it.

I have my staples but may switch my protein deep conditioner to a milder one if I can find an inexpensive one.

Moisturizing Shampoo
Do not use

Reconstructing Shampoo
Do not use

Baking soda and water

Protein Conditioner (deep conditioner)
Ultra Sheen Duo Tex Protein Conditioner

Moisturizing Conditioner (deep conditioner)
Queen Helene Cholesterol Hair Conditioning Cream mixed with olive oil and coconut oil

Protein Treatment
Do not use or same as protein conditioner

Heat Protectant
Do not use yet

Leave In
Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol Plus mixed with olive oil and wheat germ oil

Serum
Do not use

Oil
Extra virgin olive oil (penetrates hair shaft)
Virgin coconut oil (penetrates hair shaft)
Wheat germ oil (ceramides and vitamin E)

Last edited:
i voted "Yes.. But Don't Mind Testing the Water Every Now And Then"

while i think my reggie is perfect for my hair, there is always that "what if there's something better" factor that over whelms me.

however, since my last pj setback i've become 10x better at sticking to what i know works and i only my very, very, very small tweaks in my reggie now lol

poo and cond:aussie moist poo and cond
moisturizer: home made juice
leave in: HE HH
oil: mix of evoo, castor, and evco

Last edited:
however, since my last pj setback i've become 10x better at sticking to what i know works and i only my very, very, very small tweaks in my reggie now lol

I hope you don't mind but can you explain what a PJ setback is? I'm thinking it's when you buy so many products that you go into debt or something from running up credit cards... Please clarify, I've been known to have an overactive imagination. :look:

I hope you don't mind but can you explain what a PJ setback is? I'm thinking it's when you buy so many products that you go into debt or something from running up credit cards... Please clarify, I've been known to have an overactive imagination. :look:

what i mean is that i jumped on a new prod bandwagon and it bit me in the a$$ lol:lachen:

just a few months ago you might remember the skala outbreak we had lol people were buying up bottles and bottles of skala and raved about it.

i got some and had an allergic reaction which caused an irritated scalp, sores on my scalp, tons and tons of breakage. and i lost a whole bunch of the thickness i just gained from doing a blunt cut several months back. it was very upsetting and i refuse to experience it again

The products I currently use are working fine, but I will experiment every now and then.

Moisturizing Shampoo
Keracare Dry and Itchy Scalp (I guess it's moisturizing)
Reconstructing Shampoo
Do not use
Do not use
Protein Conditioner
Do not use
Moisturizing Conditioner
Aussie Moist, Suave Humectant, NTM (this is new for me and I like it)
Protein Treatment
Do not use
Heat Protectant
Do not use (I've only used heat twice in 2010)
Leave In
Do not use
Serum
Do not use
Oil
Do not use
Daily Moisturizer
S-Curl No Drip and Long Aid Curl Activator

I'm not looking for all the products that you have listed but ... I have found staples for shampoo & conditioner -- Organix. ORS Replenishing Pak is my staple DC -- I believe. I'm still looking for a leave-in, moisturizer, and styling product to better define/defrizz my twistouts, braidouts. Oh, and coconut oil for my staple oil, although I don't use it as often as I should.

My hair isn't extremely picky so I'm doing okay with the products I have now, I just know I could get better results out of something different. :yep:

Last edited:
what i mean is that i jumped on a new prod bandwagon and it bit me in the a$$ lol:lachen:

just a few months ago you might remember the skala outbreak we had lol people were buying up bottles and bottles of skala and raved about it.

i got some and had an allergic reaction which caused an irritated scalp, sores on my scalp, tons and tons of breakage. and i lost a whole bunch of the thickness i just gained from doing a blunt cut several months back. it was very upsetting and i refuse to experience it again

Ohhh ahaha, pardon me then. :grin:

Yeah I remember the Skala bandwagon. I'm sorry about your setback but it'll all come back in due time. :yep:

I voted "Yes.. But Don't Mind Testing the Water Every Now And Then".

Moisturizing Shampoo: CON moisturizing shampoo

Clarifying Shampoo: Pantene Clarifying shampoo

Moisturizing Conditioner: AO HSR, Yes to Carrots conditioner

Protein Treatment: Generic Joico Kpak reconstructing conditioner

Daily Moisturizer: 5:1 spritz of water and AO HSR mixed

Oils: EVCO

After 7 months, I think I've got my products down. I think I could find a better moisturizing shampoo, but I'll stick with what I've got for now. I'm also on the hunt for a leave-in, but so far none fit my impossible standards. The spritz I use gets it done for now though.

OT: I'm really on the hunt for the ultimate protective style/styling regimen. Something low manipulation but also protects the ends.....I love being on the hunt.

I'm almost there, I'm only dying to try AOHSR and AOGBP after an orgasmic introduction to AOWC yesterday! Plus I want to try QB moisturisers when they are available in the UK. Otherwise my arsenal is more or less complete:

Moisturising poo - Elasta creme conditioning & Keracare hydrating detangling
Clarifying poo - Nexxus Aloe Rid
Moisturising conditioner - AOWC & Nexxus Humectress
Protein con - Nexxus Keraphix & Megatek
Leave in - Giovanni direct & Nutterlicious
Moisturiser - Elasta mango & olive butter & homemade juice
Oils - Shea butter,evco, jojoba oil, WGO
Heat protectant - N/a

This is what works for me while I'm transitioning, hopefully it will still work when I'm fully natural.

Last edited:
I voted Yes, but I've never been a PJ and I remain loyal to certain types of products or techniques, not to specific brands. So I'm pretty flexible anyway. There are only a few brands of things that I won't give up. And I'll only look for something better when a product stops working for me and then usually when the bottle is finished.

Moisturizing Shampoo: Any moisturizing shampoo; currently HE Hello Hydration
Chelating/Clarifying Shampoo: Any of the Suave line fragrances I like at the moment
Protein Conditioner: Aphogee 2-minute
Moisturizing Conditioner: LeKair Cholesterol
Protein Treatment: I know its not a protein, but Reshma Henna is now being added to my regimen; I'm in love and its here to stay!
Heat Protectant: Any heat protectant really; currently Fantasia IC but since I rarely ever use it I know I'll have the bottle for the next few years.
Leave In: My staple leave-in I've had for many years: I23, H6O and water mix
Oil: H6O, coconut or olive oil, castor oil

great thread Reecie!
i still love to try new things, but these are the things my hair cannot go without!

Moisturizing and Reconstructing Shampoo: Ayurveda

Chelating Shampoo: Joico

Clarifying Shampoo: Giovanni Tea Tree Tripple Treat

Protein Conditioner: AO GPB

Moisturizing Conditioner: AO HSR

Protein Treatment: Dudley's DRC 28

Heat Protectant: N/A, I don't use heat

Leave In: Giovanni Direct Leave In Conditioner

Oil: EVOO/JBCO (50/50)

my hair seems to be liking S Curl over my Giovanni for the leave in, but it's too early to consider it "a staple" yet.

poo: AO gbp, hsr, white camellia,or j.a.y
condish: AO gbp, hsr, white camellia, mill creek keratin, or j.a.y
leave-in: kbb hair milk
styling products: afroveda curl define and whipped gelly
hardcore protein treatment: komaza care protein strengthener (haven't purchased this in a while been adding silk amino acid to everything)
oil: evco when i untwist my twistouts....have considered trying a sulfur based serum like bt, but don't want to spend the money so i may make my own

i don't feel a need to change products may continue to add saa to products or try protein filler.

I have my staples, but I'm always open to experimentation. I know that if something doesn't work for me, I can always return it or give it to a friend. Heck, between me, my mom and sis, we've got a trio of guinea pigs.

Moisturizing Shampoo: don't really like shampoo, so whatever's available
Chelating/Clarifying Shampoo: ORS Creamy Aloe
Cowash Conditioner: HE HH, Aussie Moist, VO5 Strawberries & Creme
Protein Deep Conditioner: Megatek or ion Effective Care Treatment
Moisturizing Deep Conditioner: Matrix Conditioning Balm or GVP version; Lustrasilk Cholesterol
Protein Treatment: Megatek or Aphogee 2 Min
Heat Protectant: Chi Silk Infusion
Leave In: Giovanni Direct + AV Juice; Lacio Lacio for rollersets
Serum: Aveda Brilliant Emollient Finishing Gloss or Chi SI
Oil: EVCO, EVOO, castor oil, jojoba oil

Moisturizing Shampoo- loreal ever pure sulfate free moisturizing shampoo

Reconstructing Shampoo- don't have one

Chelating/Clarifying Shampoo- ORS aloe rid and Kenra clarifying shampoo

Protein Conditioner-dont have one but I'm gonna try MNT

Moisturizing Conditioner- haven't pinned just one down yet but I'm currently using Nexxus and aussie moist. Still looking for that great one!

Protein Treatment-aphogee and joico

Heat Protectant-nexxus heat protexx or sebastian trillant

Leave In-giovanni direct, HH LTR, or ntm

Serum-dont have one but I want to try argan oil/morrocan oil

Oil -EVCO, castor oil, sweet almond oil, or grapseed oil

Dunno if "mastered" is the right word. It's just that I don't use a lot of the things on OP's list. My hair is kinda finicky and my needs are basic. For the most part I use regular shampoo, conditioner and oil - base and sometimes essential. That's pretty much it. Tools are more important to me than products. Ask me about my growing comb, brush and hot tools collection ... now that's another story and a different thread.

Yes, I've found mine.....FINALLY

Moisturizing Shampoo: Keracare Hydrating Detangling and Elasta QP (Alternate Weekly)
Chelating/Clarifying Shampoo: Keracare 1st Lather & Ojon Detox (Alternate)
Protein Conditioner: Redken Deep Fuel and Aphogee 2 minute (Alternate)
Moisturizing Conditioner: Bee Mine Bee-u-ti-ful and Queen Helene (Alternate)
Protein Treatment: Redken Deep Fuel
Heat Protectant: Chi Silk Infusion
Leave In: Keracare Leave In conditioner- New Formula
Serum: Chi Silk Infusion
Oil: Keracare Essential Oils for hair, Kemi Oyl and Bee Mine Serum (Alternate)

Another PJ here. I just love the thrill of buying and trying new hair products. So I wouldn't say I have a specific product regimen; but I certainly have a consistency with the ingredients of the products I use, and how/when I use them.

I have Mastered my regime but there is always something else out there that catches my eye.
Moisturizing Shampoo -Dont use
Reconstructing Shampoo-Dont use
Chelating/Clarifying Shampoo-Dont use
Protein Conditioner
Moisturizing Conditioner-Wen Fig,Joico moisture recovery balm
Protein Treatment
Heat Protectant
Leave In-Wen Fig
Serum-None
Oil-Jojoba,Coconut, Olive Oil

I voted “No, but will stop when I find them.”

The PJ thrill has pretty much evaporated for me; I would much rather have an arsenal of indispensable products than continue searching and experimenting. My regimen stalled for a long time because I could not find effective deep conditioners and leave-ins. After sampling countless products, my list is as follows:

Moisturizing Shampoo
Elasta QP Crème Conditioning Shampoo

Reconstructing Shampoo
N/A

Quantum Clarifying Shampoo

Protein Conditioner
ApHogee Keratin 2-Minute Reconstructor

Moisturizing Conditioners
Matrix Biolage Ultra Hydrating Balm; Mizani Moisturfuse Moisturizing Conditioner; Tigi Bed Head Moisture Maniac Conditioner (oils added); Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deeper Moisture Conditioner (oils added);

Protein Treatment
Colorful Neutral Protein Filler

Heat Protectants
Nioxin Volumizing Reflectives Bliss Thermal Protector; Sabino Moisture Block

Leave Ins
Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner; Rusk Sensories Smoother Conditioner (only after it’s been split in half, and generous portions of water and oils are added to each half)

Serum
N/A

Oils
Babassu
Castor
EVOO
Fractionated Coconut
Hemp Seed
Jojoba
Safflower
Sunflower
Walnut