Hard Core Protein & *gulp* MONSTER Tangles

KinksnCurlz

I don't get it. I mean, i use the same detangling agents (shampoo, conditioner) but whenever i give myself a hardcore protein treatment (ie. aphogee) my hair ends up a tangled MESS! It feels 'weird' afterward. I even took Britt's advice and washed the treatment out then moisturized and no slip, nothing, zilch. I don't get it. I even moisturized twice after the treatment and still had tangles. I can't deal with that. I loose too much hair that way.

Does anyone else have the problem? If so, what do you do to alleviate the tangles so that rollersetting (or combing in general) isn't a problem?

TIA

Hey CH /images/graemlins/wave.gif,

What shampoo are you using? The NTM Cream Shampoo is really good. I bought the shampoo just last week and loved it (and I am KeraCare Hydrating Detangling Shampoo fan like yourself). I think that I will start using this shampoo after my hardcore protein treatments.

I used that KeraCare Hydrating Detangling Poo Saturday before I used Emergencee. My ends not only felt super tangled, but dry after I rinsed the Emergencee. I usually use Therrape (but I was low), so this feeling was totally new to me. I kept praying that in the end it wouldn't be as terrible to detangle as it felt at the time. So I poo'd again (after the treatment) using Therrape this time and for extra insurance sat w/Humectress in my hair for 20-30 (w/heating cap). Thankfully it was as bad as it was initially but I still lost more hair to tangles than typical. I blame that KeraCare poo, b/c Therrape NEVER did that to me. Plus it wasn't in the family, so I shouldn't have expected the lines to work well togehter (yes, I believe in the family system /images/graemlins/look.gif ). I think you need a more moisturizing poo before and after protein. Maybe you can follow w/a conditioner that gives you great slip and detangles. But I think when you start without a moisturizing poo, then add protein which increases the dryness, you're locking the tangles in from the jump.

This has happened to me on a couple of occassions with motions silk protein. It does not always happen, but I am always scared to use protein cuz I never know if I will have to deal with major tangles. I just wanna hear other responses, because I don't know why it happens either.

I think using a good moisturizing conditioner afterward the protein treamtment will help tremendously. (i.e. Humecto, Loreal Feria's Moisturizing Conditioner)

ya'll r not going to believe this but i...
poo'd with keracare detangling
protein with aphogee
poo'd with keracare again
conditioned with humecto, feria & the aphogee balancing moisturizer

TANGLES!!!

so i conditioned again (same prods) and ...

TANGLES!!!

Good lord what's a girl to do /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Me no know CH. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Did you use a plastic cap for a couple of hours? See, that's why I don't fool with "The Aphoghee". /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

Plastic cap... no heat (as usual). 30 minutes first time... 20 minutes second time (i was tired). The longer i leave it in, the less "good" it does so i can never exceed 30 mins (dont ask y LOL)
This happens EVERYTIME i use the aphogee (just starting washing it out with poo).

[ QUOTE ]
ya'll r not going to believe this but i...
poo'd with keracare detangling
protein with aphogee
poo'd with keracare again
conditioned with humecto, feria & the aphogee balancing moisturizer

TANGLES!!!

so i conditioned again (same prods) and ...

TANGLES!!!

Good lord what's a girl to do /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I would try a different poo. Does KeraCare make a moisturizing/conditioning poo? You conditioned w/everything you could so I still think the poo is the culprit.

i believe that's the only shampoo keracare makes aside from the first lather and dry/itchy moisturizing one /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Dang CH /images/graemlins/confused.gif Everything you do I do except poo again with Keracare.

How long did you rinse? I find that if I don't rinse for a very long time my hair gets that squeaky sound.

Maybe Keracare isn't compatible with Aphogee????

CH, my hair always tangles and it is no easy task not ripping out hair. My old stylist always used Creme of Nature conditioning shampoo last.

I also keep a jug of inexpensive cream rinse on hand to lather the hair and gently comb through while in the shower. This has helped me so much. I comb out way less hair than any of my stylists.

I have a similar problem, which is why I always, always use NTM silk-touch leave-in after a protein treatment. I clarify, do protein treatment, moisturizing conditioner, then use NTM leave-in and comb out section by section. I lose very little hair and I attribute it to the NTM leave-in. If the product agrees with you and you haven't already tried it to detangle/soften after your treatment, it might work for you...HTH

sad to say i used the NTM leave in last nite and i still had tangles...heck i even used the joico detangling leave in... still tangles.
i have the CoN, maybe i'll try that.

@ Honi - i rinsed for at least 3 minutes. then i shampoo'd. I didn't get that squeaky feeling when I was done (i never do).

What's your former tag line CH??? Advise is something we already know, but.....(you fill in the rest).
desperado.gif

/images/graemlins/orders.gif Try replacing the KeraCare Poo the next time you use apHogee.
Otherwise, stop using apHogee and ride the Emergencee bandwagon!!! /images/graemlins/weird.gif /images/graemlins/poke.gif

LMNBAO!!! sengschick you aint even rite...hahahahaa

i'll replace it with the CoN... don't think i can use the emergencee b/c i remember using it as a teenager and i didn't like the results (dont remember what they were either, i just know i didn't like any of the nexxus products /images/graemlins/barf.gif ) LOL

Wait, you guys r getting on the shampoo but this is the first time that i've ever washed the aphogee out with it. So basically, what im saying, is with or without shampooing out the treatment, i get ridiculous tangles. yea, that's what im trying to say... LOL

[ QUOTE ]
What's your former tag line CH??? Advise is something we already know, but.....(you fill in the rest).
desperado.gif

/images/graemlins/orders.gif Try replacing the KeraCare Poo the next time you use apHogee.
Otherwise, stop using apHogee and ride the Emergencee bandwagon!!! /images/graemlins/weird.gif /images/graemlins/poke.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/lachen70.gif You're a mess!

[ QUOTE ]
LMNBAO!!! sengschick you aint even rite...hahahahaa

i'll replace it with the CoN... don't think i can use the emergencee b/c i remember using it as a teenager and i didn't like the results (dont remember what they were either, i just know i didn't like any of the nexxus products /images/graemlins/barf.gif ) LOL

[/ QUOTE ]
CyberMChair.gif
Ain't denial a beeyotch! I wouldn't call you out if I didn't love you girl /images/graemlins/kiss.gif. Let us know how it goes.

Why don't you use sebastian penetraitt instead CH? When i use aphogee my hair is a hard, dry, tangled mess that NO moisturizing conditioner (not even my beloved humecto) can moisturize. When i use sebastian penetraitt sometimes i feel like i can go without using a moisturizing conditioner NO tangles.

[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't the penetraitt get hard just like the aphogee? i almost went and bought it last nite...that and the 2+1

[/ QUOTE ]

It does get hard on your hair like aphogee but its a completely different experience. When i put the penetraitt on my hair it is alot easier to apply. It's gummy like affirm 5 n 1 or elasta breakage control serum. ALso when I rinse the penetraitt out of my hair is not hard nor dry like it aphogee(I always get breakage when I use aphogee).

Sebastian penetraitt has WAYYY better ingredients, and its more high end so maybe that is why it works better.

Aphogee did that to me as well and I haven't used it since. I'm not sure if I'm the only one but I find GPB leaves my hair a little dry as well and have to follow it with a moisturizing conditioner. I find Afirm 5 in 1 and Intense to be great on their own.

This is oT but i got to ask does emergencee stink like aphogee? I tried aphogee and i was taken away by the smell...that is some serious stank!

One thing that has helped me with tangles when all else fails is to keep on spraying the tangled area with water from a spray bottle. I just keep spraying and then use the teeth from my jilbere shower comb along with finger combing to gently uncoil the tangled hair. Warning: it may take a while and you may end up with sore arms,lol, but it's worked for me so far. :)

Back