half wig wearers - front comb damage?

naturalmanenyc

I've been in my new half wig every day since Monday (off each night) but last night I felt some discomfort (almost like tugging) from the front comb. Its outre of that makes a difference.

How can I stop the tugging? Do I have to remove the combs....or just stop wearing the half wig every day? I have worn it for up to 18 hours (hanging out with friends/family) a few times this week and right now makes hour 22 1/2 since I was in it by 8:30 am yesterday and left for home at midnight (mass transit) and I could not travel in my scarf as I would if I were driving my own vehicle.

I plan to give it a break today (just getting back home from xmas) so I can change up my hair with no strange looks.

Could it simply be the length of wear?

Thanks!

chynawitch

Try repositioning the comb inn your hair if it is always in the same spot it will cause you problems!! Also don't wear them every day try to wear it every other day or maximum 4 times a week and let your hairline rest the other days! What I mean is don't go into another stressful style on your hairline on your days off from wearing the weave like canerows!

msa

I learned the hard way to take the front combs out. I used to just take the back ones out but after a while noticed some breakage and thinning in the front right where the comb was. So, I took the comb out and used large bobby pins (2). If you slide them in horizontally (ear to ear) it's just as secure as the comb. I also would douse my bobby pins in castor oil first, just to make it easier for them to slide against my hair instead of snagging it. After taking the combs out I wore my half wigs every day for a few months with no problems.

nomoweavesfome

when I was a die hard everyday half wig wearer, I would take the combs out and sew it on a cornrow that was one braid all the way around, but I was washin my hair once every two weeks, so maybe just sew on one cornrow on the top for easy access to loosen and take on and off would be better.

Nya33

I'm wearing one right now, to ease the "tugging" feeing i pull the comb forward again to ease any tension at the front and back, just as you would if loosening a tight bun/ponytail.

I also switch wigs so couple of days wear the half wig then full wig.

I've not tried to remove the combs i'm not confident that my half wig will stay on!:lachen:

HTH

gabulldawg

I would DEFINITELY recommend taking the combs out. I don't ever use the combs in my half wigs. :nono: I usually take the combs out before I wear them. I secure the wig using bobby pins. I have never had any issues with the wig falling off either.

trinidarkie1

I wish I knew this before, because the half wigs were rough on the front of my hair. I stopped using them as a result.

trendsetta25

Try repositioning the comb inn your hair if it is always in the same spot it will cause you problems!! Also don't wear them every day try to wear it every other day or maximum 4 times a week and let your hairline rest the other days! What I mean is don't go into another stressful style on your hairline on your days off from wearing the weave like canerows!

i agree...i alternate: half wig one week, buns the next, braided stlye another. Another cool idea that might help is that since it's winter i would wear a cute wig under a fly hat (tilt it to the side for a chic paris look) :grin:

Attachments

• 115beret30017.jpg
    115beret30017.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 260940_335.jpg
    260940_335.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 5
  • rihanna.jpg
    rihanna.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 13
  • beyonce.jpg
    beyonce.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

SelfStyled

Reg- please take the comb out. I secure mine with bobby pins if I blend my hair with the half wig. Most of the time I am far too lazy to do any type of blending, I and I just slick the front of my hair down with a black headband on work days or fun colorful headband weeknights and weekends. The headband serves to hide the demarcation line, but it also helps the half wig stay on my head.

The other thing too is like others have mentioned I switch up the half wigs with bunning or my mane clip- that way your not stressing the same spots on your head daily.

Rina

I would DEFINITELY recommend taking the combs out. I don't ever use the combs in my half wigs. :nono: I usually take the combs out before I wear them. I secure the wig using bobby pins. I have never had any issues with the wig falling off either.

I totally agree...

LadyPaniolo

I have to co-sign on removing the combs.... I didn't do this for a while with my wigs/halfwigs... and I paid the price. :sad: Now that I have removed the combs I just use some bobby pins and a head band with half wigs and it gives me a pretty look without reaching for the flat iron.

Slicking down the front and putting on a headband is an easy way to avoid stress on the front of your hair. I use moisturizer instead of gel, brush with my boar bristle brush, and I'm good to go.

BTW... anybody notice the killer sale Hairsisters is having on wigs and half wigs? I'm dying trying not to buy some. It was only supposed to be on till 12/26 but it's still going... I guess they didn't sell as many as they had hoped.

curlmama

I agree with the ladies who suggested removing the combs. I was scared I would damage the half wig but if you pull on the comb, you can clearly see the thread that is holding it to the comb to the wig give it a clip then you can remove the rest of the thread without more cutting (except to remove the ends of the combs). I tried it on a wig that I got on sale so that if it did not work out I did not ruin my favorite one.

LaidBak

I dont insert the back combs. This totally alleviated the pulling I felt on the front combs. I wear a stocking cap and that helps keep the back where it needs to be w/o combs. Also, be careful not to stretch the front combs as you insert them. That just forces them to contract and pull once they are in. I tried wearing mine w/o the front combs inserted. Whycome that joint almost fell off when I leaned back in my chair?! :lachen:

Purfectalibi

I keep my hair wrapped under the half wig. Instead of the comb touching my scalp, I put it inbetween the hair in the front of the wrap... Hope that helped

slim_thick

ITA: with the rest of the ladies. Those combs are a killer on the hair line. Hair pins or sew the front, also adjust the straps in the back of the wig wear just a shocking cap. The thing with these half wigs are each brand differs in head size. I have a big head:wallbash: so I always double check the cap size, sometimes having to choose a bland style for comfort.

naturalmanenyc

Thanks ladies! I didn't even consider not installing the rear comb to alleviate the tugging feeling from the front comb. Great idea. If that does not work, I am gonna have to take out the combs completely and pin on the half wig like I do my synthetic lace front wigs.

I took off my hair as soon as I hit the front door this morning. I would normally take off my coat first.....but 23 hours of wear with both the front & rear comb installed was a killer.