Hair Typing Help and Critique of Regimen

Harina

Hello
Can some one please help me type my hair. I know I am 4 something but I am not sure if it's a or b. Sorry if there a bit blurry and excuse the goody face.

View attachment 29999
View attachment 30001
View attachment 30003

Also, any advice on my regimen? I am trying to do this 1-2 times a week. I am actually doing this tonight so I can't make any adjustments right now but I will try to incorporate any suggestions into my regi next time.

-Prepoo with amla oil and cover with plastic cap. Do you think it would be wise to heat the amla oil? Leave on for about an hour.

-Rinse out with baking soda/water or shikakai tea rinse.

Then deep condition with a mixture of Sunsilk Care and Repair Conditioner, olive oil, honey, and a few tsp of Amla powder.

-Rinse out with cold or warm water

-Usually I would do an ACV rinse after this but I don't have any on hand.

-Then I would towel dry my hair lightly. Really just squeezing out excess water.

-After spray with glycerin/rosewater mixture.

-This is where I am not sure. I have vatika oil on hand. Should I put on the vatika oil on the damp hair or should I wait till it's dry. I want to do about 10 or so braids for a braid out while it's damp but I know oil and water don't really mesh well. So I guess I should just put the oil on the hair after it is completely dry?

Tanks!

Last edited:

Ivy Santolina

I willing to bet you're hair is a 4a/b mix. When I apply oil to my hair post final rinse it's when my hair is wet. The purpose of the oil is to seal in the moisture. In my experience, if I apply the oil to my hair when it's dry then it just sits on my hair and makes it greasy without providing any benefit.

So what are you hoping to achieve with your hair? Are you experiencing any issues like breakage, excessive shedding, tangling or dryness. I don't see anything wrong with your regimen but it depends on how your hair is responding to it. How long have you been doing this regimen? If you hair is happy then there's no need to change it.

HTH and HHG.

Harina

I willing to bet you're hair is a 4a/b mix. When I apply oil to my hair post final rinse it's when my hair is wet. The purpose of the oil is to seal in the moisture. In my experience, if I apply the oil to my hair when it's dry then it just sits on my hair and makes it greasy without providing any benefit.

So what are you hoping to achieve with your hair? Are you experiencing any issues like breakage, excessive shedding, tangling or dryness. I don't see anything wrong with your regimen but it depends on how your hair is responding to it. How long have you been doing this regimen? If you hair is happy then there's no need to change it.

HTH and HHG.

Ok Thanks. Basically I am just trying to keep it moisturized. It gets dry very easily and it does definitely get tangly. But I think that is due to the dryness. And when it is moisturized sometimes it feels almost too soft.
I have been doing it since around the beginning of Feb. What does HHG mean?

Ivy Santolina

Ok Thanks. Basically I am just trying to keep it moisturized. It gets dry very easily and it does definitely get tangly. But I think that is due to the dryness. And when it is moisturized sometimes it feels almost too soft.
I have been doing it since around the beginning of Feb. What does HHG mean?

How much glycerin are you mixing with your rosewater? What is the climate like where you live? It's possible you are applying too much glycerin to your hair. My first thought was a porosity issue but since you do an ACV rinse your cuticles should be okay. Therefore, the possible culprit is the glycerin. Glycerin needs water to stay active. If it's not getting enough water from the air then it will take the water from your hair. If your climate is dry then stay away from the glycerin. The glycerin will dry your hair out.

You also mentioned that sometimes your hair feels too soft. If there's too much moisture in the air then the glycerin will soak up as much as it can; thus, too soft hair. www.naturallycurly.com has a free humidity software tool you can download to your computer. Type in your zip code and the software will tell you the forecasted humidity index and recommended hair product to use for that day.

Rosewater in and of itself is a moisturizing hydrosol. You may not need the glycerin. I recommend (to see if glycerin is the issue) that you use the rosewater only then seal with the oil while your hair is wet.

Hey there! HHG= Happy Hair Growing
:yep: Yep, what she said.

Queen_Earth

thanks for the glycerin info...I been spraying my hair with that...and it doesn't feel dry b.u.t it has been feeling really moist (b.u.t not wet) and I wasn't sure if that was a good thing or not...glad I understand that better...I like how it moisturizes though; but I def don't want to over moisturize it or use it when I go out to Cali

Ivy Santolina

thanks for the glycerin info...I been spraying my hair with that...and it doesn't feel dry b.u.t it has been feeling really moist (b.u.t not wet) and I wasn't sure if that was a good thing or not...glad I understand that better...I like how it moisturizes though; but I def don't want to over moisturize it or use it when I go out to Cali

You're welcome. Your hair will tell you if you're giving it too much moisture. It will get very mushy. I had to stop using Sta Sof Fro and S Curl Liquid Activator because they had too much glycerin. I started using the Aussie Leave-in spray condish but I could only used it 3 times a week. Just this week I experimented with Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream for Dry and Sensitive Skin which has glycerin and my hair loves it. Surprisingly it has petrolatum too which is the 2nd ingredient so it moisturizes and seals my hair at the same time. It's about finding what's right for your hair.

Harina

How much glycerin are you mixing with your rosewater? What is the climate like where you live? It's possible you are applying too much glycerin to your hair. My first thought was a porosity issue but since you do an ACV rinse your cuticles should be okay. Therefore, the possible culprit is the glycerin. Glycerin needs water to stay active. If it's not getting enough water from the air then it will take the water from your hair. If your climate is dry then stay away from the glycerin. The glycerin will dry your hair out.

You also mentioned that sometimes your hair feels too soft. If there's too much moisture in the air then the glycerin will soak up as much as it can; thus, too soft hair. www.naturallycurly.com has a free humidity software tool you can download to your computer. Type in your zip code and the software will tell you the forecasted humidity index and recommended hair product to use for that day.

Rosewater in and of itself is a moisturizing hydrosol. You may not need the glycerin. I recommend (to see if glycerin is the issue) that you use the rosewater only then seal with the oil while your hair is wet.

:yep: Yep, what she said.

I didn't know I was going to need a B.A. in Chemistry to read your post. You really broke that down. Thank you. I will check out the humidity website. It's semi-warm and pretty humid right now and I think it will be like that until the summer. I will experiment with rosewater/glycerin vs just rosewater by itself. I normally do about half and half.